Garaged for a few months now wont start

Hey Everybody

First time poster to the forums so thanks in advance to anybody with any helpful advice.

I Garaged my 2001 E model about four months ago at which point it was running great. About two weeks ago I went to start it and it was a little stubborn getting going. It flooded and a little gas came out of the overflow but after letting it sit for about 20 minutes it started up and ran fine.

Yesterday I went to start it and no matter what it was no dice. When I went to pull the tank to check for spark I noticed that gas was still flowing from the petcock even in the off position! :D

Not sure how long its been like that but since its been sitting for months it could potentially be quite some time. Anyways I switched the petcock out for a good one, replaced the spark plug and checked for spark (which was good) put fresh gas in and still no start.

How much potential damage could have been done by the faulty petcock. Where shoud I start looking next?

Thanks again for any advice.

Did you put any fuel stabler in the gass or not. Even with a fresh tank all the gas in the fuel line and carb can go bad. I belive the petcock positions are ON/RES/PRI. To remove the tank put to ON or RES, the PRI will dump gass out the hose. Maby you could try to take the carb off and give-er a clean?

Thanks for the quick response. Yes the gas had seafoam stabalizer in it so I actually wasn't too worried about the gas I just figured why not.

The petcock on the E models is a little different than the S models which are vaccum fed. The E model is gravity fed so its just on off and res. In the off it shouldn't let any gas past

I do plan to pull the carb and give it a once over but I was just curious if the failed petcock could have caused any "deeper" problems than residue buildup in the carb.

Check the oil to see if it smells like gas. If it does drain it and replace.

After you have done the oil change, you will probably have to clean the carb. Most likely, you'll find the pilot jet is slightly or completely clogged. Being it is so tiny and even a film of varnish on it affects its' performance, you'll want to replace the jet.

After you have done the oil change, you will probably have to clean the carb. Most likely, you'll find the pilot jet is slightly or completely clogged. Being it is so tiny and even a film of varnish on it affects its' performance, you'll want to replace the jet.

Not that I am anyone to disagree with anything that William says because he has helped me a ton of times...BUT if you don't have access to a new pilot jet, buy yourself some carb cleaner, Berrymans B-12 works awesome, spray some in the cap, then soak your pilot jet in there for about 20 minutes or so. After this, spray Berrymans through the jet and it should be cleaned out. Whatever you do, do NOT poke anything through it. Just the spray should be more than enough. Now if you can easily get a new pilot jet, listen to William, the man knows his stuff :D

I have to clean the pilot jets on my YZF750 all the damn time. I am pretty sure that bike has the smallest pilots known to man kind. Even with the fuel stabilizer in there, if it sits for more than two months, I am cleaning.

The petcock on the E models is a little different than the S models which are vaccum fed. The E model is gravity fed so its just on off and res. In the off it shouldn't let any gas past

Ya, I knew that.:D

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry that works great for cleaning jets. Put in some carb cleaner and turn it on for about 1 hr max and they are clean.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry that works great for cleaning jets. Put in some carb cleaner and turn it on for about 1 hr max and they are clean.

No doubt that works great, just not a tool many people have.

When I got home from work tonight I checked the oil to see if it smelled like gas. There was a very faint oder so I decided to change it out just to be sure. If there was contamination would it be a strong smell or relatively mild?

Didn't have time to pull the carb but that is next on the list tomorrow. Thanks for the input so far guys

So I pulled the carb and I'm starting to go through it.

What I'm most concerned about though is the huge amount of build up in the intake port on the head side.

dsc05075dc0.th.jpg

dsc05074gt4.th.jpg

Am I looking at a total teardown :D

Wow, that is some chit, man!

When you look in the port at the valves, how are they? Any build up on them? It is just possible... most of the fuel only got to the point we see in your pictures. A careful, gentle scaping of it out might save you. But... If fuel varnish is in the barrel, you will have stuck rings and a servicing will be called for.

Yeah I looked down the port and its a mess in there. The one valve that I can see is pretty gunky.

Looks like I'll be pullin the head.....

Are there more potential problems lurking in the bottom end or should the mess stop at the rings?

Any other fuel went into the oil sitting in the sump. A few oil changes with dino oil will clean it up. Be sure to check the frame screen too.

So, a light ball honing, fresh rings, some gaskets should fix you up. You will probably want to remove the valves to clean them. Be sure to replace the same valve in its' original location, unless you want to use new valves and have the seats cleaned up.