Sign in to follow this  

2 Problems, both my fault, I'm a retard, PLEASE help a retard!

Okay,

I live on a small Island in the Caribbean, I've got a '03 DRZ400E and I'm a retard (that knows f*** all about bikes & fixing bikes, as will become apparent).

After a wheel removal and replacement to replace a tube my rear brake no longer works, there's no apparent fluid leaks, the fluid is topped up and nothing appears to be missing. Any thoughts?

I can handle the above (for a bit) but this ones killing me, my clutch cable appeared to need adjustment, so instead of being the responsible human being I know I can be, I just went straight ahead and pulled the lever arm off of the splined bit at the engine. When I figured out this wasn't really achieving anything I put it back together only to find I now have absolutely no resistance at the clutch lever.

OK OK, I know I'm stupid but please, if anyone can give me any idea at all of what to look for It'd be most appreciated!

Cheers

GITYERKNEEDAHN

The best advice i could give you would be to invest the 40 dollars in a clymer manual. I will walk you right through the simple things like wheel removal and clutch adjustments. Might be the best 40 bucks you can spend on your bike

If you did not open the brake line, simply depressing the pedal a bunch of times should restore it.

Regarding the clutch arm, when installed, it should be at 90 degrees to the cable when lightly pressed towards the direction of the cable pull.

Okay,

I live on a small Island in the Caribbean, I've got a '03 DRZ400E and I'm a retard (that knows f*** all about bikes & fixing bikes, as will become apparent).

After a wheel removal and replacement to replace a tube my rear brake no longer works, there's no apparent fluid leaks, the fluid is topped up and nothing appears to be missing. Any thoughts?

Brake pad fell out of rear caliper?? Did you pry the pads open to get the disc back in???? If so it needs pumping, and perhaps some air found it`s way into the system.

I can handle the above (for a bit) but this ones killing me, my clutch cable appeared to need adjustment, so instead of being the responsible human being I know I can be, I just went straight ahead and pulled the lever arm off of the splined bit at the engine. When I figured out this wasn't really achieving anything I put it back together only to find I now have absolutely no resistance at the clutch lever.

This one I have no idea. I think a maint. manual is in order here.:D

OK OK, I know I'm stupid but please, if anyone can give me any idea at all of what to look for It'd be most appreciated!

Cheers

GITYERKNEEDAHN

Good luck.

Erling

Okay,

Cheers

GITYERKNEEDAHN

Just so you know, it doesn't seem that you're as bad off as you think. For a "retard", you type and spell extremely well! Plus your grammar is damn near perfect. You have to be one of the most intelligent retards I have dealt with :D

Just playin'! Get yourself a manual and all will be told. At one point, everyone on here had no idea how to work on a bike so you are not alone friend. As for the rear brake issue, the only thing I could think of is air in the caliper, but you said you didn't mess with the fluid at all so that rules that out. Maybe your pads were shot to begin with and you need new ones? Try pumping the pedal a few times and see if that does something. If not...ask us more questions and don't be afraid to include pics.

Good luck!

At one point, everyone on here had no idea how to work on a bike so you are not alone friend.

Good luck!

What?? I was born to work on bikes!! :ride::worthy:

GITYERKNEEDAHN just fly me down there and I'll fix it for ya! :D

Pauli

• Like 1

I guess getting a manual would be the sensible idea, just need to get it shipped here and suck up the duty! Where's the best place to find one? My main problem is that most stores won't ship to a P.O. Box!

Tried prumping the pedal, no joy there and I'm sure there's nothing missing and that everything's lined up OK.

As for the clutch.... who knows!

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess for the time being I'd better try to find someone on the island who knows more than I do!

GITYERKNEEDAHN

Quick question!

The splined spindle thing at the engine, should there be any resistance at that point? Mine just flops around! (ooer missus!)

Quick question!

The splined spindle thing at the engine, should there be any resistance at that point? Mine just flops around! (ooer missus!)

You mean you can turn it with your fingers???? If yes, something is wrong, but hard to diagnose without first taking it appart.

Erling

It sounds like the end of the cable is hooked into the clutch arm, but the threaded portion (spindle thingy:smirk: ) with the nuts is not in the mount portion, or the nuts are not one on each side of the mount and tighten. I'll try and find a picture.

A different bike, but same idea.

pic7.JPG

Also check the cable at the lever. Should look something like this:

ClutchLeverAdjustClassic.jpg

Sometimes when you flip a caliper upside down (like when you pull a tire off) hidden air that has been in it for years will now prevent proper operation. This exact thing happened to me on my CBR900RR. The same thing happend on my friends XR400 just recently. In the end I had to take the caliper off, turn it upside down and over a few times to get the air bubbles to come out.

In short it comes down to bleeding the brakes. You'll need some brake fluid (the proper kind required for your bike should be printed on the reservoir cover) and a friend (its far easier with 2 people).

You can download that manual everybody is talking about form the link below for free, just keep clicking through and choose "free user". It seemed to work for me but I didn't bother downloading the whole thing. Follow the instuctions. If you can't get that manual from the link there are all kinds of how to's on YouTube.com

http://pdftown.com/Suzuki-DR-Z400-Service-Manual.html

Autos.jpg

My guess is you put the lever on the clutch shaft wrong, take the lever off and turn the shaft CCW until it stops and then put the lever back on at 90* to the cable.

M

I forgot what it looks like, no nuts. Sorry. Probably a matter of orienting the shaft like massrider states.

I guess getting a manual would be the sensible idea, just need to get it shipped here and suck up the duty! Where's the best place to find one? My main problem is that most stores won't ship to a P.O. Box!

Tried prumping the pedal, no joy there and I'm sure there's nothing missing and that everything's lined up OK.

As for the clutch.... who knows!

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess for the time being I'd better try to find someone on the island who knows more than I do!

GITYERKNEEDAHN

http://www.repairmanual.com/

Autos.jpg

My guess is you put the lever on the clutch shaft wrong, take the lever off and turn the shaft CCW until it stops and then put the lever back on at 90* to the cable.

M

Bang on the money! One job jobbed! Now I just need to sort the rear brake!

I must say, I'm really impressed with the friendliness of this site's contributors, it's awesome! Thanks to everyone!

Bang on the money! One job jobbed! Now I just need to sort the rear brake!

I must say, I'm really impressed with the friendliness of this site's contributors, it's awesome! Thanks to everyone!

Bunch of fanatics around here. :D