New here

Decided to sign up and say hey,

Im a member of a few 3 wheeler forums, as i have a custom 82 Yamaha XS400 trike, and a 1981 ATC250r. I also have a 78 Kawi KD100,and 2 Yamaha IT's, A 1984 490, and a 1985 200 which i recently got, i paid 100$ for the 490 and 50$ for the 200. I got both of them running very good and im having a blast on them. The 250r is waiting for a piston kit, so its just sitting in the garage, its got a 6+ swinger, 34 Mikuni, Boyesen reeds, bassani pipe & silencer, and im getting the head shaved. The 490 is an absolute beast, very fast bike. It has a Supertrapp silencer on it. The 200 is quick also, has a full DG exhaust, best 50 bucks ive ever spent. Lookin forward to chattin with you fella's

Heres a few pics

10-10-08_2134.jpg

10-12-08_1706.jpg

10-16-08_1806.jpg

P7150216.jpg

P6210193.jpg

Welcome Samsonite! Looks like you've done some pretty good work on those bikes. Always nice to have members who know how to get a bike running.

Jack

Decided to sign up and say hey,

Im a member of a few 3 wheeler forums, as i have a custom 82 Yamaha XS400 trike, and a 1981 ATC250r. I also have a 78 Kawi KD100,and 2 Yamaha IT's, A 1984 490, and a 1985 200 which i recently got, i paid 100$ for the 490 and 50$ for the 200. I got both of them running very good and im having a blast on them. The 250r is waiting for a piston kit, so its just sitting in the garage, its got a 6+ swinger, 34 Mikuni, Boyesen reeds, bassani pipe & silencer, and im getting the head shaved. The 490 is an absolute beast, very fast bike. It has a Supertrapp silencer on it. The 200 is quick also, has a full DG exhaust, best 50 bucks ive ever spent. Lookin forward to chattin with you fella's

Heres a few pics

10-10-08_2134.jpg

10-12-08_1706.jpg

10-16-08_1806.jpg

P7150216.jpg

P6210193.jpg

Nice and Welcome:thumbsup:

welcome i am sort of new also and your stuff is cool . always love to raise the dead, it feels good on that first ride after all the initial work gets done good luck.

Thanks for the welcomes, i forgot to mention, im just 15, but im a complete motorhead...started out with a free go kart years ago...the bikes would look nicer if i had some more money!

Thanks for the welcomes, i forgot to mention, im just 15, but im a complete motorhead...started out with a free go kart years ago...the bikes would look nicer if i had some more money!

Welcome... I am more of a fuctionality person than a looks person so that works for me.

Yay, now i have 4 topends to rebuild....

10-17-08_1551-1.jpg

wow only 15? do is see a future mechanic being born?

welcome to TT :D

very good for a 15yr old :worthy:

Hey thanks, i love wrenching, im in the garage as much as i can.My neighbors think im weird :D

Can anyone tell me what the head bolt torque specs are for a 85' Yamaha IT200? I put a new gasket in and torqued it to 20 ft/lbs, but it still leaks.

Welcome..."tri-tard" J/K! Thought i'd beat the quad(tard) haters to it!

Can anyone tell me what the head bolt torque specs are for a 85' Yamaha IT200? I put a new gasket in and torqued it to 20 ft/lbs, but it still leaks.

im guessing around 18-19lbs but im not sure on that bike, what kind of gasket is it? is it copper? if its copper take a propane torch to it heat it up dip it in water then put it back in. also is the head warped?

spray some wd-40/carb cleaner or even some paint on the head then set the head on a very flat surface like a marble plate then look at where the paint transfers onto the plate, the paint will come right off the head with some carb cleaner after you do this, this will tell you if your head is flat

Cool Pic's

They are prone to leaking. make sure the surface area is clean and spotless. Then torque to 25 ft/lbs. That has worked for me with the same bike. Also make sure you are tightening in a strict star pattern.

:lol:

great work btw.... Makes me smile to see a young guy so hard at work and take such pride! :lol:

Hey thanks alot, it really means something when alot of people doubt the younger generation.

Is there any reason for it prone to leaking? Bad design?

Im having alot of fun with this bike, the engine runs like my 250r. Also The fenders/ tank are primered waiting for paint.

Got the 200 painted, looks decent for a spray can job. But ever since i fixed the top end leak, its like its running rich, when revved up it will pop and sputter, sometimes it will clear out, but then do it again, i got anew plug(B8ES), and that didn't help. I cleaned the carb, that didn't help either. I might have to try to get a Stock Champion N86 plug. Also, i might be selling my 400 yamaha 3 wheeler to a kid for 300 bucks. Its runs, but it will stall out (something broke inside, metallic KLANK stall) Anyway, if i sell that and get some cash, im going to get a new topend for the 490, i miss that beast! Alot of people say they are junk and to stay away from them, but im in love with the power of it. Chugs like a 4 stroke at low end, yet screams when you crack open that throttle and before you know it your doing 90 mph..

my guess is some machining is in order!!!!!!!!

Got a new plug, and it was better, but still not perfect. Not sure what is wrong, the plug was a good brown color. I think i kinda melted the piston also, i was going WOT and it kinda slowed down and lost power...i slowly drove home. The plug was kinda a dark gray/black color. Still has compression, and when i started it back up i hit the throttle and it revved out good and did a big wheelie, but after a minute it was back to popping and sputtering. This thing has me stumped.

Also, when i slowly accelerate, it will go just fine, but if i just crack it wide open it will sputter, and miss. Do you guys think a higher octane would help this? When i got it i ran premium, but now i'm running regular. I will try premium tomorrow.