Camp Wood

Opinions wanted on Trail #35 in Camp Wood area?

Don't know the numbers but all of CW is awesome!

What a wonderful trail! Ha!

We'll try that ride again when I find a better route... I promise.

Is 35 the one that starts low either way you run it and climbs to the top of a mesa, crosses and back down the other side. Super rocky across the top of the mesa? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's pretty "rough" to say the least. LOL

Is 35 the one that starts low either way you run it and climbs to the top of a mesa, crosses and back down the other side. Super rocky across the top of the mesa? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's pretty "rough" to say the least. LOL

Yep, that's the trail. We rode it from east to west, probably the easier direction, but still it took us well over 2 hours to go the three mile length of the trail. Very rocky.

So, sirhk, have you ridden this trail recently?

Anything in the South-East of that area is very rocky.

Yep, Trail 35 is definately one of the rockier Camp Wood trails. I like how it starts out kinda nice and twisty and and then all of sudden it's nothing but rocks :D If you do like that kind of thing take Trail 55 South to Trail 56....more of the same.

Did you know the opening scene (and a few others) of Easy Rider was shot in downtown Flagstaff?

Yep, Trail 35 is definately one of the rockier Camp Wood trails. I like how it starts out kinda nice and twisty and and then all of sudden it's nothing but rocks :D If you do like that kind of thing take Trail 55 South to Trail 56....more of the same.

Thank God:bonk: I was afraid I had lost my passion for off road riding:banana: Lets see 55 south to 56 I will also delete from my ride list!

You can take the southern portion of 55 and takes you to a fork. 55 hard right and a 4 digit number left, 9941 by the looks of the map. The left is a fun little bit of trail that leads you back to FR65A. It makes for a fun loop from Contreras.

I was there about a month ago and the trail condition was pretty grim I thought. I took 11 and 13 planning to go down into 56, but it was closed. It looked like next to nobody had been on them in months, and erosion seemed to be escalating quickly. 55 was wired off as well by the ranchers, which made sense because I ran into 2 dozen cattle along 11 and 13. I did not ride the northern section.

Just for kicks I went exploring up road 705 on top of the mesa, and it was ridiculously rocky. I was afraid of getting a flat in 3rd gear. Over all the area kind of went down in my opinion. The trails are deteriorating to the point that it's creating bad erosion problems, and the USFS recommendation of "letting the trails recover" is foolish in these parts of AZ. What do they think the magical deciduous trees are going to spread their plentiful mulch and hold the trail together? Either try to utilize it before too many monsoon rains have carried it away, close it when its falling apart, or maintain it with a trail tractor.

On a good note, there was a gnarly water crossing at the junction of 705 and 665! Nearly 2 feet deep and a good 20 feet across. My biggest crossing yet! Gotta love AZ aye?

Yeah, I haven't been out to camp wood in probably over a year. I've got trails in my backyard basically that are very similar to the campwood area so I really don't get motivated to load up and head over there when I can just leave from my garage.

I do remember the first test of the Last AMRA B loop race was pretty damn rocky!!! I'm curious if it's the trails Phxman is talking about?

Did you know the opening scene (and a few others) of Easy Rider was shot in downtown Flagstaff?

No, I did not know that...very cool.

I do remember the first test of the Last AMRA B loop race was pretty damn rocky!!! I'm curious if it's the trails Phxman is talking about?

The 55-56 trails I"m referring to were part of the infamous Test #3 in our last Camp Wood event.

56 is the one the dips way down and comes back up. Rocky and steep come to mind.

Okay, I definitely know the ones phxman is talking about. I had kelly yancy starting right behind me and was thinking oh great, I'm gonna get smoked in this section by a girl!!! She never caught me thank god! LOL

And I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about too see-are...