Does anybody really do this?

I just did a top end on my 01 yz250 and the manual recommends after the initial breakin to remove the cyclinder and check the piston for high spots and then sand them down. I have a race on saturday and really won't have the time to do it.

Never done this & never heard of it before either, can't imagine it would make any difference whatever & as said is probably just a way for Yam to bring in more money (wonder just how many owners take their bike to the stealership for 'piston sanding' complete with new head/base/reed/powervalve gaskets, coolant, sparkplug & probably gearbox oil too while they're at it?)... :D

Never done this & never heard of it before either, can't imagine it would make any difference whatever & as said is probably just a way for Yam to bring in more money (wonder just how many owners take their bike to the stealership for 'piston sanding' complete with new head/base/reed/powervalve gaskets, coolant, sparkplug & probably gearbox oil too while they're at it?)... :D

Dont forget a new powerband gasket and new muffler bearings. Those things are always shot after break in.

Kawasaki recommended the same for my KDX. Never did it on that bike either.

I will, however, remove the exhaust and reeds and take a peak in at things after the first few weekends of riding (maybe 5-8 hrs).

This is also all the further I go for top end check after rebuild.. If it runs like it did before or better, ride the thing :D

Speaking of, I just did my top end last night.. Pics soon

This is also all the further I go for top end check after rebuild.. If it runs like it did before or better, ride the thing :worthy:

Speaking of, I just did my top end last night.. Pics soon

I just finished rebuilding mine yesterday as well, top & bottom, and a WR 5th. Got the rest of the bike together today, started 2nd kick. Test ride tomorrow. :D

No pics though. I just now realized it's been literally 1 year since my digital camera died. Guess maybe I should get a new one.

You don't need to do all three. Leaves a big jump from 4th to 5th, but that's fine with me. I mostly ride tight single track, and I just wanted a taller top gear for open sections.

xxxbranham on the forum has the same setup. I've ridden his bike, but unfortunately never on an open enough trail to get into 5th. He says if you rev it out in 4th before grabbing 5th it will pull under most conditions.