Sign in to follow this  

State Line to Grand Canyon DS Route?

My son and I are planning a DS ride as a father/son adventure when he graduates from High School (May, 2009). We have decided that we would like to do an unsupported ride to the Grand Canyon and back. We are both plated. He's on a WR250 (that should be a 290 by the time we head out) and I'm on a WR444. We both have a range of about 110-120 miles between gas stops, but can carry a bit extra. While we can ride on the pavement, we would prefer to keep this ride as much on the dirt as possible.

We can get from our house in Palmdale (Ca) to State Line, Laughlin, or Needles pretty easily and have ridden all of the portions we plan to link together to get there. What we need is route recommendations (or even better GPS tracks!) to get from either State Line/Henderson/vegas, Laughlin or Needles to the Grand Canyon. I posted this up on the SouthWest forum a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten much help...any would be appreciate.

Have you tried posting on ADVrider or GPSxchange?

I've searched both sites for tracks, routes, or ride reports, but I haven't tried posting the request...good idea.

Thanks

I don't have any tracks, but, my buddy and I (we are from the East Coast) did a 5 week trip to CO, AZ, NM, NV and I would suggest to get the DeLorme state specific map books like these

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10096

a compass (actually take 3 because if 2 don't show the same direction, which one is wrong:thinking: ) for map orientation. The atlas books have lat and long. lines so you can pinpoint your present position with the GPS. :D

We didn't plan anything, just went out exploring. There were tons of fire roads on the north side of the Canyon, not a whole lot (indian res) on the south side, but we did manage to "get to the edge" Riding your D/S bike to the rim of the Canyon to "hang your toes" off the edge with not fences, barriers or "people" makes for a wonderful life experience.

I understand that having tracks would be......comforting, but, pulling out the maps and seeing where you are and navigating to where you need to go IMO makes the experience that much better......

Have a great trip....I did:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Try posting this on my2wheels you should get a lot of help coming up with a route. This site has a lot of memebers in the vegas/henderson area that can route you to the canyon on dirt.

• Like 1

Hey Birdy -

You might find some useful info in this thread here, a trip report I did about a ride from Reno all the way to the Canyon via Death Valley and Vegas. GPS track included. Fuel range needed is 150 miles minimum (double check the GPS tracks!), but a cushion of 20 miles extra is a good idea.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366541&highlight=years+tour+canyon

If you are starting in Stateline then you may be more interested in the route to the south side of the canyon, but I don't have a track yet on that side.

Here is a photo of some of the terrain out on the north side of the Grand Canyon on the way to Toroweap:

P4091429.JPG

Be careful out there, and have an adventure! BP

My son and I are planning a DS ride as a father/son adventure when he graduates from High School (May, 2009). We have decided that we would like to do an unsupported ride to the Grand Canyon and back. We are both plated. He's on a WR250 (that should be a 290 by the time we head out) and I'm on a WR444. We both have a range of about 110-120 miles between gas stops, but can carry a bit extra. While we can ride on the pavement, we would prefer to keep this ride as much on the dirt as possible.

We can get from our house in Palmdale (Ca) to State Line, Laughlin, or Needles pretty easily and have ridden all of the portions we plan to link together to get there. What we need is route recommendations (or even better GPS tracks!) to get from either State Line/Henderson/vegas, Laughlin or Needles to the Grand Canyon. I posted this up on the SouthWest forum a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten much help...any would be appreciate.

• Like 1

It was an awesome ride. I am keen to do another one this spring, maybe a circle around the whole canyon.

BP

It was an awesome ride. I am keen to do another one this spring, maybe a circle around the whole canyon.

BP

The more I look into this, the more I like the idea of a big loop around the canyon. Come in from Palmdale to Barstow, Vegas, Mesquite and the Bar 10, then head east and cross the canyon on the bridge near Lee's Ferry. Then on to Williams and all the touristy stuff on the South Rim, and home to Palmdale via Kingman, Bullhead City, 29 Palms Arrowhead and Wrightwood. I think I've got the stuff up to the Bar 10 mapped out wiht no more than 100 miles between gas stops...still working on the rest.

We will be going somewhere around the last week in MAy, and plan on 10 days to 2 weeks on the road. Feel free to join up!

Hi I have some tracks posted on GPX Exchange going from Mesquite Nevada to Toroweap Overlook on the North Rim of the Canyon. Good Dual sport ride but gas may be an issue. It's 100 mi each way.

Anyway you can read more and also look at the track at GPX exchange-Go to Motorcycle-Dual Sport

Then to West- North America

Then to page 2

Then1/2 way down on page 2 to "Mesquite Nevada to the North Rim of thGrand Canyon - AWSOME" by OffroaderFan

See what you think of that one.

Good Luck :lol::p

Hi I have some tracks posted on GPX Exchange going from Mesquite Nevada to Toroweap Overlook on the North Rim of the Canyon. Good Dual sport ride but gas may be an issue. It's 100 mi each way.

Anyway you can read more and also look at the track at GPX exchange-Go to Motorcycle-Dual Sport

Then to West- North America

Then to page 2

Then1/2 way down on page 2 to "Mesquite Nevada to the North Rim of thGrand Canyon - AWSOME" by OffroaderFan

See what you think of that one.

Good Luck :lol::p

I've already got the track...in fact, that's the one that started me thinking about hitting the North side of the canyon. Since then, I found several ride reports from the Big Bear trail Riders club ride to the Bar 10. I guess the folks at the Bar 10 will bring gas in for you if you arrange in advance, which makes things work out just about perfect...until the Navajo Bridge area. So far, I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on gas stations and such from the Navajo Bridge back down the south side to Grand Canyon Village. Nothing shows up on any of th MapSource software that I have, but I'll keep working it...

Try google earth for the gas stations - its pretty good, and free too.

Circle%20route.jpg

Above is a route I have planned out for a circle, incorporating some stuff that I have ridden already but more that I have never been on. I would like to do this ride in the early spring next year, April probably. May is too late for me as I start my teaching that month.

Fuel range on this is probably minimum 180 miles, the section from Mesquite-Toroweap-Colorado City is long, as is the Seligman to Boulder City section.

PM me with an email addy and I can send you the GPX file.