Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket nuts made of BUTTER!!!

Since the chain/sprockets on my 2002 E are completely worn out I started taking the old parts off today. Too bad that the last A-hole that owned the bike didn't put any never-seize on the bolts that hold the rear sprocket on. Two of the nuts won't come off and of course Suzuki made them out of the softest metal known to man. Now I have to first buy a cut off tool, then remove the junk fasteners, then buy 2 new bolts at the dealer. All that so Suzuki could save 10 cents on the overall cost of the bike.

Does KTM use crap fasteners too?

My nuts are made of butter, too.

:worthy::ride: :ride: :ride:

Mine are brass......:D

Pauli

All fasteners on a Suzuki are grade 8.8 or better same as European bikes. The criticism of poor quality fasteners comes up over and over. But there is nothing wrong with the fasteners. I don't know you or your experience with tools and mechanics so I will not say anything about that. The question I would ask is if professional technicians have as much trouble with fasteners as the non-professionals. KTM sprocket bolts will fit the DRZ if you want to try them. The 8mm nuts will be 13mm hex in place if JIS standard 12mm hex. That gives a little more wrench purchase.

i tired to use a open end wrench and allen wrench the first time i tried to remove the sprocket didn't work to well so i went with a socket and extensions from the back side works pretty dam good

I curse to when I bust a nut or a bolt. I am one to put in the extra to avoid the same with the old hardware. I would replace all 6 fasteners, with anti seize of course.

6 point sockets and wrenches are the ONLY way to go.

I curse to when I bust a nut

:D:worthy::ride: I do TOO!!!!

This thread is funny. Or......It's 3AM on a friday and I'm at work and tired as hell.

Pauli

i tired to use a open end wrench and allen wrench the first time i tried to remove the sprocket didn't work to well so i went with a socket and extensions from the back side works pretty dam good

I found that's the trick with sproket bolts.... only use the allen key on the front face to 'lock' the bolt while you loosen/tighten from the nut behind - that nut can take a hell of a lot more pressure before rounding that the allen socket can :D

Since the chain/sprockets on my 2002 E are completely worn out I started taking the old parts off today. Too bad that the last A-hole that owned the bike didn't put any never-seize on the bolts that hold the rear sprocket on. Two of the nuts won't come off and of course Suzuki made them out of the softest metal known to man. Now I have to first buy a cut off tool, then remove the junk fasteners, then buy 2 new bolts at the dealer. All that so Suzuki could save 10 cents on the overall cost of the bike.

Does KTM use crap fasteners too?

What a useless post. Find somewhere else to whine.

What a useless post. Find somewhere else to whine.

Damn Harry.....a little grumpy lately have we been?:D

buy good quality tools, the cheap auto zone 10mm wrench's or what ever are cheap and not made to exact tolerances, they will round off the nut if to much pressure is applied or just over time, same with cheap sockets etc use good quality tools, and the bolts and nuts they twist will love you,

i have never had a single problem with any bolt or nut on anything from Suzuki, ever! and this goes back to working on mid 80's Suzuki's that never had the bolts or nuts loosened.

try a little heat to the back of the hub with a blow dryer or a torch,

then get a good set of vise grips and lock them on the rounded edge before you go cutting them off and using a easy out.

I think I have a decent amount of experience with tools and fasteners. Four of the six nuts came off no problem. The issue is that 2 of them are seized to the bolts, so when turning (trying anyway) the outer faces of the nut shear right off. The bolts are clearly made of a much harder material since they have done a decent job of resisting stripping out their heads.

I've tried heating the nuts with a propane torch to no avail. Anyway, clearly the only solution is to cut them off and replace. I'll replace the 2 bolts with Suzuki parts, but I'll use some other kind of nuts/washers.

For those that think these are Grade 8+ fasteners, maybe that is what Suzuki claims but I GUARANTEE they are lying. Not that they are alone in using materials that are barely suitable for the job; all manufacturers do this to some extent. I have a BS (does not stand for bullshit) in Mechanical Engineering, so I tell people I know what I'm talking about sometimes. :D

mine were loctited from the factory. use heat. now that they are screwed up use a drill to pop the allen heads off. use loctite not never seize.

Them Suzukis use dang ol metric wrenches....

Use never seize. Don't use locktite. The nuts are locknuts.

I must admit that I'm one of those guys who has rounded the nuts by not paying close enough attention. It's a wierd angle, mucky, etc. All my own fault I know. I now automatically replace the stockers with nylock nuts and have had no further problems.

If the nuts are rounded off but the head is still intact put pair of vice grips on the rounded nut and use an air rattle gun with an allen.

Too late now, but did you use a 6 point socket? It's almost impossible to round of a nut with those since they grip the nut on all 6 flats. With a 12 point socket or worse yet, open end wrench, they round off the points quite easily.

Anyhow, as far as what to do now, did you try a nut breaker? they sell them at harbor freight for cheap. It should break that nut off and possibly save your bolts. Also as already mentioned a big vise-grip should work. I've got a vise grip so badass, those poor little nuts wouldn't stand a chance!