Sign in to follow this  

Show us your race light conversions

Ok I know everyone likes showing off their bike/work and I'm wanting to upgrade my lighting so what do you got to show off? Post your lighting conversion pics. XR650R and XR650L :D

It's no race light, but I have a 90/100 watt bulb in my Baja Designs dual sport kit headlight and a second 55 watt little car fog lamp. The little fog light only focuses about half it's light and the rest just goes in all directions. That's great for singletrack.

It's no race light, but I have a 90/100 watt bulb in my Baja Designs dual sport kit headlight and a second 55 watt little car fog lamp. The little fog light only focuses about half it's light and the rest just goes in all directions. That's great for singletrack.

How dare you post on a "show us" thread with no pictures! :D

Are you talking about the headlight, tail light, turn signals....or all of the above? :D

Are you talking about the headlight, tail light, turn signals....or all of the above? :D

Head light mainly. Brake lights and directionals do little for me off road.

Com'on folks this is a good thread. Post some pics. Please?

How dare you post on a "show us" thread with no pictures! :D

Didn't have one handy. Get ready, here it is. Ya, it's not much to look at, but I get a lot of light with 155 watts of halogen. I have done a lot of desert and mountain singletrack at night with it. I'm working on a HID upgrade.

Yes I know there is no engine in the bike. Fixing the footpeg.

dscn3486se1.jpg

Well, Heres mine in 'mock-up' stage. They are dual 8" PIAA 100w (1 flood, 1 pencil beam) Lights. Still dealing w/stator issues, so I have yet to actually run them

clamp022.jpg

Like Carl, I too am working on a HID conversion as well. I am a manager of an auto body shop, so I have access to many damaged lamps, etc, and am trying to adapt a car HID system to my bike.

• Like 1

A big decision point is do you want DOT lights or race lights. A DOT low beam has a sharp cutoff so as to not blind oncoming vehicles. Race lights are more like high beams. I'm sort of planning on both. I want to keep my DOT headlight so I can go down the road and add a HID (or two) for off road.

Another thing is the application. Those tightly focused race lights work well in the open desert, but they don't work as well on single track where you need light in all directions.

Here's my Trailtech 8" race light. Mean looks, and as soon as I get my 200W stator installed I'll love the extra light.

reyn8.jpg

img0119ll8.jpg

img0126ft9.jpg

Riders View. Haven't installed the Scott Damper yet but its on its way :D

Hodakaguy

Nice looking light setup, not sure about the yellow on the guards though. Where did you hide all your DS stuff? Rectifier/regulator, blinker? Also,how do you like the BD speedo?

Not really a race light, but it throws out plenty of light for desert riding.

PICT0004.jpg

The idea for me was to keep it cheap (relatively), light, high power, and the ability to swap back to a halogen bulb in minutes. I converted a Baja Designs light to HID. Tons of light for my needs. If I run into problems or want to be nice to oncoming traffic in Baja (the only place I really ride on the street), I keep an extra plug and pigtail with a 55/60w halogen in my pack that clips right in.

PICT0002.jpg?t=1224307867

Here's my Trailtech 8" race light. Mean looks, and as soon as I get my 200W stator installed I'll love the extra light.

reyn8.jpg

img0119ll8.jpg

img0126ft9.jpg

Riders View. Haven't installed the Scott Damper yet but its on its way :worthy:

Hodakaguy

Awesome bike. :D

Is that the halgen or the HID? How do you like it?

Nice looking light setup, not sure about the yellow on the guards though. Where did you hide all your DS stuff? Rectifier/regulator, blinker? Also,how do you like the BD speedo?

Thanks, yeah I thought the yellow might look cool so I installed them and now I'm not sure myself. I'm waiting to see if they grow on me, otherwise I'll end up switching back to white.

All the electronics are located under the seat. I have all the excess wiring just bundled up behind the light right now, when winter sets in I'll put the bike on the lift and shorten the front harness to get rid of all the excess wiring. I'm going to go LED flush mount on the rear signals, not exactly sure yet what I want to do for the front signals. The Speedo works great, I just prefer a good ol mechanical speedo over an electronic unit.

Awesome bike. :D

Is that the halogen or the HID? How do you like it?

Its the halogen light. I'm going to install a 200W stator and run one 100W AC leg right to the front light, then install a 90W bulb or so. That should give me a very bright setup. Baja Designs and Trailtech both make a 8" race light. The Trailtech units frame is built out of larger diameter tubing and I think it looks better than the baja designs unit, BUT.. The Baja Designs unit has a nice plastic cover on the back that covers the glass part of the reflector. The Trailtech unit is just glass on the back, nice shiny chrome looking glass :worthy: Soooo, I painted the back of the lens with a high temp black paint so it doesn't stick out. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the exposed lens but it would have been nice to have the cover that the Baja Designs light has.

Hodakaguy

• Like 1

\ not sure about the yellow on the guards though.

What do you mean?:D Here's my all AC setup.

CIMG0466.jpg

CIMG0301.jpg

Explanation on the yellow handguards. Our race team uses them because they stick out like a sore thumb at races and it makes it easier for our spotters and photographers to pick them out. I mean, yellow on a Honda? Why else...

Explanation on the yellow handguards. Our race team uses them because they stick out like a sore thumb at races and it makes it easier for our spotters and photographers to pick them out. I mean, yellow on a Honda? Why else...

Why else? Well obviously because they match your yellow radiator hoses! :D