230 powernow carb insert: buy or bogus?

As an an engineer, the working at GM doing powertrain development, I can assure you of one thing. if you buy it, you will not gain ANY improvment on your engine, big or small. And you will have wasted your money. Do all the free mods and save up for a big bore, cam carb or exhaust.

That's what they replace common sense with in engineering school.

Steve

Sorry guys, I thought you would want to spend you money on making your bikes faster. I was not being snide or condecending. I know the numbers and I know how the fuid dynamics actually work and all the time I spent in Internal combustion engine (ICE) Design (AKA the stuff they replaced common sense with) is far more reliable to me than "mr x said his bike felt faster". I stand by my response, it is a wast of money, people look to this site for input and good information'm doing my best to add to it. This will be my last post in this thread, I'm not into argueing on the internet.

Sorry guys, I thought you would want to spend you money on making your bikes faster. I was not being snide or condecending. I know the numbers and I know how the fuid dynamics actually work and all the time I spent in Internal combustion engine (ICE) Design (AKA the stuff they replaced common sense with) is far more reliable to me than "mr x said his bike felt faster". I stand by my response, it is a wast of money, people look to this site for input and good information'm doing my best to add to it. This will be my last post in this thread, I'm not into argueing on the internet.

So FMF falsified data in their independent dyno testing to help a competitor sell a product?

It doesn't have anything in common with that piece of tin foil at all.
they make similar products for cars too... they "swirl" the air, or straighten it out a lot, and it has less drag through the inake port and carbeurator... it won't make the bike tons better, but it helps get the disrupted air calmed going into the engine

? one right after another?

Wasn't talking about you.?

I don't claim to have engineered the powernow, but they have a lot of satisfied customers using it. It was never designed to increase peak horsepower...

Oh I know. In my last two jobs I got to deal with some very arrogant engineers and also some very level headed ones, I just happen to like ripping on the arrogant ones. As far as the powernow I don't have an opinion either way other than the price is a bit much for what it is but I have thought of making my own.

Steve

this is the interweb. all you get is personal opinions. go to consumer reports if you want analysis:thumbsup:

You are right, especially when it comes to this (type of?) product. I haven't seen anything conclusive and informative from private testers. Alot of nay-sayers but nothing conclusive. I just got an infraction because i really want to hear from first hand experience, not from people with opinions. I can tell you that iguana soup from el salvador sounds horrible, and i say i will never try it, but some people say it tastes good.

I remember when the Tornado for cars came out. Alot of people talked about them, and said they were BS, but i didn't hear anyone actually trying one and testing for real data.

Still, the powernow for carburetors might have an interesting effect because of the slide of the carb. Anyone actually try it?

If your jetting is off, these devices can help. But you will loose top end, you are effectively reducing the carb diameter. A properly jetted bike, big or small does not need it.

The work by increasing the vacuum effect at low throttle openings by making the carb throat act as if it were smaller. They can induce poor running when the slide is just past the dividing vane. Once well past, the effect is gone till WOT, then the reduction in area caused by the device patially blocking the carb reduces top end.

Jet the bike right, save your money.