Sign in to follow this  

Talus Break and what boots would of saved me

I was out racing out at a local hair scramble and came up short on a double. I broke both ankles. The doctor calls it an aviator break. Its wear your toes bend back to your legs and it breaks the talus bone. I broke both of mine so I’m in a wheel chair for 8 -12 weeks. I was wearing my SIDI Cross fire SR and I noticed they don’t have a built in limiter. My Tech 10’s have a movement limiter built in to the back of the boot witch I think would have saved me. So those of you looking at high end boots you might want to take a second look at the SIDI’s

boots have nothing to do with preventing a talus fracture. It relates to the axial transmittal of forces from the heel to the talus.

I have had the same problem and have checked with my orthopedic about a brace to help limit this type of movement, no luck so far. Dr, Mark do you have any suggestions??

I have no suggestions besides better riding technique and a better suspension.

I was out racing out at a local hair scramble and came up short on a double. I broke both ankles. The doctor calls it an aviator break. Its wear your toes bend back to your legs and it breaks the talus bone. I broke both of mine so I’m in a wheel chair for 8 -12 weeks. I was wearing my SIDI Cross fire SR and I noticed they don’t have a built in limiter. My Tech 10’s have a movement limiter built in to the back of the boot witch I think would have saved me. So those of you looking at high end boots you might want to take a second look at the SIDI’s

dont feel bad man. I shattered my talus in april and wearing some $100 Oneal boots from going over about a 6-8' jump. pure angle and pressure of the landing did it. i do believe that some better boots might have helped me somewhat but there is nothing that is fool proof in this sport. it's a risk everytime we suit up. I plan on getting some SG10 next week in preperation for getting back on in mid November. It happens man, that it. I feel your pain and frustration. I live upstairs in a townhouse and have to kids so trying to work and then be a dad at night was very exhuasting. Give it time and maybe seek out a lace up cross over brace. mine helps me out termindously. best of luck!

Broke my talus and tore several ligaments around the ankle in March. My injury was from twisting my ankle inwards and almost completely 180 degrees. Had reconstructive surgery and was back riding by July. Still doing rehab as I'm not walking right yet, but making good progress.

Check out the new Gaerne SG 12's, they are supposed to offer a mechanism to prevent your foot from doing what yours did. I have a pair on the way. Not cheap, but I want to take every precaution I can at this point.

a boot can protedt against direct injury like the bike falling on you foot. It can not neutralize axial forces which are directed from the ground to the peg, to the boot, and into the calcaneus and talus. It does not neurtralize rotational forces either.

Accordingly no boot can protect against these fractures. The only thing that can is an good suspension and good rding technique.