Sign in to follow this  

02-06 Rm250

Looking into getting myself a second bike (to compliment my '99 KX250) and have heard good things about the RM's chassis, and motor. I like the look too. I used to own a 1998 RM125 ported and polished motor and I LOVED the conventional forks on that thing.

Anyway there are a good selection of 2002-2006 bikes around here. Which years were the best from 02-06? Price will also be a determining factor, so say an '04 is selling for $2200 while an '06 for $3200, I will look into the 04 first.

Pitfalls?

I own a 99 KX and I used to love it except in the turns. I bought an 06 RM250 this year and the kx was parked for 8 months. My RM is so much faster and turns on a dime with 9 cents change. It doesn't have the low end punch like the KX, but all the power is there, just more of it and it rolls on way smoother. I have had no problems with my RM except for some clutch chatter, but that's normal wear. I paid $2200 in Feb 08 for my bike in good condition. Good luck!

my 03 was great plenty of power( had to be careful at times or it would bite you), never any problems just maintain and ride. i think any of those years are fine. never had a bad suzuki!

Newer is always better. And for what it's worth, the magazines really started liking the RM250 again in '04. That's when it's started to score 1st or 2nd on their annual shootouts.

IIRC in 04 they got the showa suspension and the engine was updated as well, and as someone else said it was 04 when they started getting more recognition...

i love my 04 in the woods.

If your set on an RM i would choose the 04. I have owned one for two years. I rode it in the woods most of the time and set it up for that. Just going to let you know the truth with my experience that this was the most work I had to do on any bike. Everyone has their bad luck with bikes, but a lot of the metals on this bike seemed like the were soft and baskets wore out, pegs started to droop. I put over two thousand into it. The plus side to the bike was when it was running right it, it ran awesome. If your a motocross guy this would be a great bike. 04 they changed the motor and it did win the motocross shootout in the two stroke class. Very nice ride, just try to find one with not a whole lot of time if you are set on the bike. You should be able to find a good deal on one I bought mine two years ago for 2000.00 which was a steal and I got 2400.00 when I sold it. Wait and get the right deal. If you have any questions at all about the bike. Let me know and good luck.

Looking into getting myself a second bike (to compliment my '99 KX250) and have heard good things about the RM's chassis, and motor. I like the look too. I used to own a 1998 RM125 ported and polished motor and I LOVED the conventional forks on that thing.

Anyway there are a good selection of 2002-2006 bikes around here. Which years were the best from 02-06? Price will also be a determining factor, so say an '04 is selling for $2200 while an '06 for $3200, I will look into the 04 first.

Pitfalls?

the '05 to '07 or '08 SHOULD BE better than the '02 to '04 models; search the major engine and swingarm changes that suzuki made from '04, and up until '07.

RC's '05 RM250 (daytona supercross)

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6299261P5755fMp

RC's '08 RM250

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/news/Fox-Racing-Ricky-Carmichael-Video,2370

if push comes to shove, and your narrowed down choices are between the '04 to '06 range, i'd get the latter, just pitch-in some more cash on it.... also, insider's info (quoting transworld motocross) has it that RC helped a lot in the development of the '06 model making it one of the best 2T bikes out there :D

I bought a 06 rm 250 with little ride time and needed little work for 2500.00. I put a fmf pipe on it and it is a pure rocket..I have rode a 99 kaw 250 alot and you'll be parking that puppy..

Thanks guys, I don't think I'll ever be parking my '99 KX250, I absolutely LOVE its motor characteristics. I just really like the looks of the RM and want something a little newer than the KX that I can turn into a project-race bike.

Thanks guys, I don't think I'll ever be parking my '99 KX250, I absolutely LOVE its motor characteristics. I just really like the looks of the RM and want something a little newer than the KX that I can turn into a project-race bike.

You're going to love the RM! Very little work needed if any needs to be done to keep you happy.

Good luck!

I had yz250 99 and yz125 01,rmz450 have ridden with kx 250s from different years but none of them wasnt so good like my rm250 08 right now.it s so easy for cornering and I havent never ever before jumped so big ones like I do now.To me its the best bike so far.

Maybe one day manufacturers can understand that 2stroke is the only sportsbike on the market.