Sign in to follow this  

Hinson Racing steel clutch basket and other clutch baskets

I have Honda CRF250R 2004, and I´m riding enduro in the woods only (slow and difficult terrain mostly). The bike is complitely original.

My clutch basket has worn out, so I´m wondering, which basket to order. As far as I have understood right, Hinson Racing steel clutch basket might be the one for me, becouse it´s heavier. I´d like to know, how much heavier is it and how much does it effect? Is there any disadvantages (except not taking revs so fast)???

If I order Hinson Racing steel clutch basket, can I use my original inner hub and original kick starter ring and? Do I need any other parts like some rubber bumpers etc?

Any other suggestions to the clutch basket? Original I´m not gonna buy. Wiseco costs here 30% less than Hinson Racing steel clutch basket, but it is lighter, which I don´t think gives me any advantages. Disadvantages maybe, becouse the engine takes revs even faster (not good for me).

Another queastion is if anyone knows another kind of complete kick starter arm? Maybe not alumium. Steel might be better? The original has broken down and I think it is not strong enough. It would also be good, if the arm would be a little shorter.

Just go hinson if you can afford it and just put a flywheel weight on it to slowdown the revs. Let me guess your kick starter is rubbing your frame (mine to). I'm not sure a shorter kick starter would be that good with less leverage I guess your a shorter guy like me. I guess your saying after you have been riding in the woods for a while you don't won't to reach your leg up that hi?

I've never seen a steel one, are you sure it's not anodized aluminum?

Barrnett makes one that's lined with stainless steel, not sure it will wear better but they are replacable without buying another basket.

I bought a new vortec clutch basket for about $100.00 last year for my sons 06. He ran the crap out of it all winter in the indoors track probably 2+ times a week with no clutch issues. In March, I picked him up a new 08. Right about the time the outdoors started, he was complaining that his 08 was hard to get into neutral. I pulled it apart and found the basket was shot with roughly 30 hours on it. I switched it out with the vortec basket out of the 06 since it was sitting and we're at almost 80 hours on the bike with no complaints on the clutch or issues with neutral! I'll be putting in a new crank soon but I'll be willing to bet that there is no issues with the clutch basket when it comes apart!

I have had them alland I willonlybuy the Barnett with the steel inserts. All of the baskets will wear but if you send the Barnett back to the companythey will insall new inserts for FREE and pay toship it back to you.

Hinsons last twice as long as stock, are lighter, and are trick! Yours lasted this long, so stock would be fine, too.

Never used a barnett, but their clutches are garbage, in fact they trash stock baskets with their skinny-a$$ drive tabs, so I wouldn't patronize their basket since there are other options.

Just go hinson if you can afford it and just put a flywheel weight on it to slowdown the revs. Let me guess your kick starter is rubbing your frame (mine to). I guess your saying after you have been riding in the woods for a while you don't won't to reach your leg up that hi?

Yes, the kick starter is rubbing my frame. I managed to repair it a little better, but I think during the winter I need to buy a new original. And yes, after two hours in the woods my leg don’t reach that high… I need to find f.e. some stone, that I can kick start it easier. But that’s not a big problem.

I ended up to Wiseco forged aluminium clutch basket, because I got it nearby for 220 euros without rubber bushings and starter gear. They were fine, so no problem.

Now the clutch releases very well, and I can even kick start the bike with gear on, which wasn’t possible before. What is not so good is that the bike takes revs even faster and in the woods it is difficult to ride.

I have seen some heavier flywheels somewhere in internet and there were options +3, +5, +7, +9, +11, +13 and +15 gramms more to original CRF250R. Prices were 130 dollars.

Any suggestions, how much does those weights affect, +15 gramms for example.

Separate flywheel weights I have not found for this bike.