Cam Installation Tips Specifically For 250X??

Okay, I just took the plunge and ordered a stage 1 HotCam off eBay from Motosport for $112.50. I haven't had the valve cover off my bike yet (very low hours, despite it being a 2004...a travesty, I know...I'm remedying it).

I watched the HotCam installation video for the 450, which looks slightly different from the schematics I've seen of the inside of the valve cover on the 250X. It seems that there is no cam carrier, or rather that it's built into the head. Does that mean that there's no need to replace the cam bearing circlip? Or does that mean I need to replace the camshaft thrust washer (#18 in pic 1 below) instead? What about the valve cover head gasket (#4 in pic 2 below)? Does that need to be replaced? Any other tips or tricks that differ from the 450?

Here's the link to the video I'm referring to.

Thanks!

Pic #1

CRF250X%5E2004%5ECYLINDER%20HEAD?$oem$

Pic #2

CRF250X%5E2004%5ECYLINDER%20HEAD%20COVER?$oem$

Pic #3

CRF250X%5E2004%5ECAMSHAFT%20%20VALVE?$oem$

Correct there is no cam carrier so you just remove the cam caps.

You do not need to replace the gasket as it is rubber or the clips #18.

As for tips just make sure you don't drop anything into the crankcase including the cam chain as it is difficult to get to.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179775

Check this thread out I used it the first time I removed my cam it is very helpful.

yeah all you need to do is remove the rocker cover and timing plugs, once set up you can loosen and remove the cam caps, semi circle washers in caps need to be retained and reused! dont drop them! slide l/h cam bearing foward to allow cam to drop to aid easy removal of timing chain:thumbsup: then remove the cam, you will need to remove the de-compressor from the original cam and replace it to the hotcam!! use some locktite on the bolt and tension it properly (they are prettty tight)

install hot cam and check valve clearances, mine were looser with the hotcam which made it easy (as opposed to being tight and not knowing where to start)

tension for cam caps is 16nM or 160kg/cm (which is done up to touchdown plus medium strength of one hand, dont use a breaker bar and both arms!!)

the tensioner is fun, if you have a mate on hand, get them to unwind the tensioner for you (while still installed to cylinder) while you install cam and nip caps up, saves a lot of mucking around getting tensioner back in while trying to hold it adjusted out!! if you are co-ordinated enough you can do all this yourself but it takes practise!!

this should get you off to a good start, hope it helps, good luck!!:D

Okay, here's a stupid question...can I do this with the crankcase oil or do I need to drain it? Will it leak out the crankshaft bolt hole when I remove it to set it to TDC?

No, you can leave the oil in as well. Although I would change the oil after your first ride on the new cam. Just makes sure you are at tdc and you are good to go!

With the cam chain tensioner you can use vice grips to hold the screwdriver or as I found if you turn it hard enough clockwise it will stay in the untensioned position.

So your the one that snaked that Stage 1 out from under me. :D

Good post. I've been looking for a good deal on a Stage 1 for a little while now and am wanting the same info.

So your the one that snaked that Stage 1 out from under me. :D

Good post. I've been looking for a good deal on a Stage 1 for a little while now.

Don't worry, the listing said there were 5 available. There's 4 left now. :worthy:

Just specify that you want the Stage 1 for your bike. Also, when you check out, there's a 10% off option that eBay has now.

Dangit. Now I don't have an excuse not to pick one up. :D

What do you think is the best bang for the buck to try to get a little more low end grunt? A Stage 1 or a higher compression (13:1?) piston?

Dangit. Now I don't have an excuse not to pick one up. :D

What do you think is the best bang for the buck to try to get a little more low end grunt? A Stage 1 or a higher compression (13:1?) piston?

Me? I don't know. I'm not ready for a new piston, so I went with the cam. Maybe we should have a HotCam installation party. :worthy:

Where you located at? I'm near Tacoma south of Seattle.

Where you located at? I'm near Tacoma south of Seattle.

I'm in Beaverton, outside of Portland. I saw Washington and for some reason just assumed Vancouver. :D

I would still be cool to hook up for this. It's a little hairy to swap out a cam for me, even though I watched that Hot Cam's install video over 5 times. Two fools with wrenches have to better than one, right? :D

Wait ... don't answer that.

I would still be cool to hook up for this. It's a little hairy to swap out a cam for me, even though I watched that Hot Cam's install video over 5 times. Two fools with wrenches have to better than one, right? :worthy:

Haha, I keep watching the videos too. :D I'm probably not going to do mine for a while, I just didn't want to pass up the deal. Let me know when you do yours and maybe it will work out.

I would still be cool to hook up for this. It's a little hairy to swap out a cam for me, even though I watched that Hot Cam's install video over 5 times. Two fools with wrenches have to better than one, right? :D

Wait ... don't answer that.

ah you can do it....If I can do it anyone can. I've done it twice actually and it was easier the first time. The first time around I didn't have any issues. The second time around I got cocky and dropped one of the clips into the case and had to pull the entire case off to get it. Then I got it all back together and realized the cam chain was off a tooth so I basically had to re-do it.

It's a pretty straight forward job to be honest. I watched the video and also followed the the valve thread with pictures.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179775

I'll see if I have the fundage. I just bought a set of Dunlop 952's with a set up nice tire irons, which showed up yesterday actually. If I can justify another goodie I might go for it. :D

I'll see if I have the fundage. I just bought a set of Dunlop 952's with a set up nice tire irons, which showed up yesterday actually. If I can justify another goodie I might go for it. :D

Dude, it's $112 shipped! I've still got to buy Factory Connection springs and a Dr. D exhaust this winter. You can afford it! :worthy:

Dude, it's $112 shipped! I've still got to buy Factory Connection springs and a Dr. D exhaust this winter. You can afford it! :D

heck if you don't want to spend that much money look for a used R cam. I got a perfect 06R cam off ebay for $12.99 shipped....LOL....I also like it much better than the hot cam. Hot cam was great for low and mid power, but just died up top. Just depends what kind of riding you do.

Hot cam was great for low and mid power, but just died up top. Just depends what kind of riding you do.

Were you running the full R exhaust with the HotCam? ...or something else?

Best bang for the buck is both the 13.5 piston and Hotcams stage 1 together.

You will not be disappointed with this combo.

Lots of low down grunt and plenty of useable mid to top.