CR500 VS 650R Race for Cash

So one of my friends set me up with a race with a newer CR500 vs my 650R. The guy on the CR wants to throw hundreds of dollars down on it. I don't know what to expect. I don't think I want to throw down money like that. Would my bike shine better on pavement or dirt? It's uncorked but in dirt it does not hook up too well. In fact I raced a CR250 in the dirt and it was dead even and I was spinning every gear. Then my friend with a slow XR250 raced the CR250 and they were also dead even. Apparently in the dirt you can't get the power down. My friend on the slow XR250 was hooked up the whole time while the CR250 was spinning most of the time so they evened out. I am worried if I race the CR500 I will have traction problems but then again he might too?

What do you think would be the outcome? I have read on many forums the 650R owns a CR500 in a drag and top speed its even faster

one of the other threads on it https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-335834.html

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top sped on the xr is faster but the acceleration on the cr is faster. If you could race on the road over a long distance then i think you could win. but make shure it is a long run. Im shure that with the right gearing that xr could cruise at 80.

Keeping it real as I've owned two XRR's and 2 KX500's...you should be worried. If the race is, say, 1/8 mile or so the 5 honey is probably going to take your 650R (just uncorked) for a walk all things being equal. Now if the "race" opens up a bit the 650R will slowly start to run down the 500. Hookup on both bikes can be an issue but I would think the 650R would get the nod there. All things being equal it's really a matter of physics (power vs. weight vs. gearing) and you can do the math on that.:D Some professors of the drag :worthy: will even tell you that 7 pounds is just about equal to 1 horsepower.

Just make him hold it WOT thru the entire race, especially if it over some distance. When his ring-ding rings blow apart he will be yours LOL

I think you will have an issue. 500 smokers are serious machines that are light as heck. Good luck....and race for a tank of gas instead of hundreds of dollars.

A smart 500 rider would start in 3rd with a little clutch work, this keeps the spinning down and pretty soon he would be gone from the 650. Once the speed get a little higher the 650 may catch up.

I wouldn't take the bet, I own a 500 and 650R and 500 sure feels alot faster accellaration wise.

I've owned both bikes, an uncorked full exhaust '01xr650 and a '99 cr500. The 500 will pull the 650 pretty easily until it's topped out, then the 650 will come around it. I've raced this race over and over and it's the same every time. However if the 500 is geared for top speed then you might be in trouble. I'm not dissing the 650 at all, it's a torque monster, but I think people often underestimate what the 500's are capable of. just my .02

I own both also and I wouldn't do it. The 500's are beasts in their own right. Just my .02. I have never lost a race on the 500, but haven't raced anything other than my bro on the xrr and a few guys on 4wheelers in the sand.

The 500 has quite a bit more HP. Depends on the type of race and how he's geared. I had mine once geared for over 90 and it would blow any 600-650 away anywhere, drag racing, top end, uphills etc. I wouldn't bet if the guy knows how to ride.

How well do you know the guy? If he's an idiot, you may have an opportunity to make some money. But, if he's known to be a some what savy person, don't make any bets. Most folks wouldn't want to throw a lot of money at a bet if they weren't sure they would win. As others have said, it's really dependent on how the CR500 is set up and how well he knows how to ride it.

The 500 has quite a bit more HP. Depends on the type of race and how he's geared. I had mine once geared for over 90 and it would blow any 600-650 away anywhere, drag racing, top end, uphills etc. I wouldn't bet if the guy knows how to ride.

NO this is a very common misconception!! The 500 just feels faster because all the power hits at once instead of being spread out. Stock for stock an uncorked XR650R is the same hp.

CR500 69 hp

650R 61 hp corked

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cr_500_1999.php

http://bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_xr_650_r_2001.php

t i'm sure my 650 would smoke it.

:D:worthy::ride:

You think...

I rode a piped and jetted CR250 my bike will walk away from it like a matchbox car on hardpack. In the dirt it is side by side with a CR250 spinning the whole way until after about 45 or 50 when it starts to hook. Then again my friends stock XR250 will also stay with the CR250 because the XR250 hooks up but is no where near as powerful. On the road the CR250 vs the XR250 its not even a race.. its just an embarrassment.

I own a CR500, and XR650R....the CR is nearly stock, with just mild porting, a pip, and jetted correctly.

The XR has basically a race motor not even close to stock any more.

And I say you should race for fun, not money.

Unless the guy riding the CR 500 weighs 600 pounds, or is a really crappy rider, the CR is going to beat the XR.

Or else race him across the desert for 80 miles, so you beat him because he ran out of gas. :D