Sign in to follow this  

transmission oil rm250

Havent had a two stroke for a couple of years... so what is the best transmission oil to run? Ive herd some people are actually using ATF?? Why?? I used to use like castrol gtx in my 125 and change it every 2-3 rides. would that be ok? I just want to use a good, cheaper oil because i change it frequently.

Sore Subject around here!

Find an oil you like, without friction modifiers, that's readily available. If Castrol 10w40 works for you and meets your demands then by all means use it! I'm not a believer in changing the oil every ride or 2 or 3. I'm a once a month guy depending on how often I ride and it still comes out the same color it went in. I change it a little more often when the conditions are real dusty. That's just me and my habits are not for everyone.

If you decide to use ATF make sure it is "type F'. Use whatever oil you feel works best for you. I have in the past found motor oil to be a little grabby on the clutch. I have found ATF type f to be a little notchy on shifting, but the clutch worked very well. I, one day while changing the ATF in my trans. ran short. I thought I had enough ATF, but only had 500cc, so I figured what the HLLL, and mixed 250cc of 10/40 motor oil with it to make up the difference. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been mixing 500cc ATF type F and 10/40 motorcycle oil ever since!!! Shifting is as slick as greased goose poop, and the clutches work great! Best thing is, is that it is cheap!!!:D

I run Castrol MTX 10-40 non-synthetic. About $6.00 a quart and change it out about every 4 or 5 rides. I ride in Nevada where the temps and dust are brutal! No problems so far on my "07" RM250 and about 80 hours on it so far!