4 stroke - 2 stroke switch

I am thinkin about selling my 05crf 250 for an 05-07 cr250 and was wondering how the two compared? I race mx and also have an 08 CRF 450 that I race too.

I will be using the bike as my practice bike and also might race it in the 125 class with the 250f thumpers

I have an 06 crf450r and recently got a 2005 cr250. I had the same intentions; racing the 450 and practicing with/ playing around on the 2 stroke. The 250 is an absolute blast to ride and will keep you off of the 450 for a while. It is a great combination of bikes to have because they are both very capable and serve a very broad range of riding.

I would definitely buy an 05-07 if you can find one. Keep the 450 and set up the 250 to do whatever suites you best. Good luck

I have a very limited amount of time on a four stroke to say the least. I have been on a 450 before and I ride a 250 two stroke. I will tell you this much. They are completely different beasts. You will gain an edge on other riders I think by riding the 250. Reason beign is this. Riding a two stroke is going to force you to be more in tune with what the bike is doing. Those four stroke 450's are able to just tractor around and get you through things without too much fiddliong around with gears. On 250 2 stroke you will have to pay attention to the revs. It is not a matter of just sticking it in 3rd and bouncing back and forth between that and fourth. You may have a hard time going back and forth between the two. I have heard in the past that some have a hard time with it. For the very reasons I mentioned above. But with the lighter more nimble and agile two stroke I think that you will have more fun once you get the hang of it. As far as practicing on it and then racing the 450, I don't think that I would recommend it. Like my old high school football and track coaches used to say, "Practice like you play!"

i sold my '05 crf250 in july and am waiting on a '09 crf450. in the mean time a friend kindly lent me a '00 cr125 to use whilst i wait. Im having sooo my fun on it. It's not fast by any means and i don't think it would be competitive in a race against the 4t's. Learning the 2 stroke riding techniuqe again didn't take that long. It's great just thrashing the life out of it. It has helped my corner speed and general technique as you have to really concentrate on gears, braking, and the momentum you carry all round the track

?

I have one of each and really like the 250r for the tight trail riding and like my 450 for the hillclimbing and not so tight trails.

I can really never decide which one I like best. They both have their good points and bad points.

After a rain though the 450 really shines.

I know this is a little different than the MX bikes you are talking about, but I bought a CR250 to add the stable with my XR650R. I ride mainly woods and can honestly say that riding the CR has helped me to learn better how to pitch around the heavy 650R in the trails. The CR250 is lightweight and helped me to get better at controlling the bike in situations where I was a little hesitant with the 650R.

If you are racing and you can learn to ride a 250 2 stroke fast, you can dominate the 250f's in the lites class. I just bought a cr250 and eventually wanting to race it instead of my crf250 in the lites class. Its taking some time to get comfortable with a bike that will rip your arms out when you pin it!?

This is a little off subject but kind of the same. When my son was younger we got him a cr80 big wheel. I had more fun on that bike than I think he did.

Soon all the dads had got their boys 80s. It would be cool because all of us dads would take off on rides and leave the boys at camp and go tear up the trails on the 80s. Just too much fun.

I just had to throw that out there. I'm a kid at heart.