Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain tensioner gasket leak...

5) Extend the tensioner shaft with the adjustment screw.

Dumb question: When extending the tensioner shaft, how/when do I know that there is enough tension on the cam chain? Or does it automatically tension the cam chain? Cheers!

Having just done it...wrong the first time. It snaps back on its own when you turn it in far enough. The internal spring supplies the tensioning force.

It took me more like an hour to remove the gasket.  I used an aluminum gasket remover tool, and some liquid wrench to soften the gasket.  Removing the exhaust and oil line helped alot.

The old, leaking gasket had a rip in it near the upper cylinder seam.

If you encounter this problem, the good news is that it is not the base gasket and the replacement cam chain tensioner gasket is just a few dollars.  The bad news is that the repair is time intensive, about 2 hours from start to finish.

This may be an old thread, but for any one researching this to do the gasket change I have a tip that might be helpful.  The gasket was a real pain in the butt to remove.  I pulled out my dremel tool and used the sandpaper wheel.  Took it right off without a hassle.  I also stuffed a paper towel in the hole to prevent anything from getting into the motor.  

I fixed my gasket yesterday. I didn't have a straw so I turned the crankshaft as recommended in my shop/service manual. Word of warning before removing the crankshaft cover on the left side of the engine...first drain the oil into a reusable container, otherwise it will be all over the floor like the mess I made. Of course don't be an idiot and forget to put it back in when you're done. The other suggestion is to put something in the hole the tensioner came out of to keep debris from falling into the crankcase.  Thanks for all the suggestions here, they were helpful.

I didn't have a straw so I turned the crankshaft as recommended in my shop/service manual. Word of warning before removing the crankshaft cover on the left side of the engine...first drain the oil into a reusable container, otherwise it will be all over the floor like the mess I made.

I had something else going on here, that was fuel mixed with oil in the crankcase--a gallon ended up in there. I suppose that you can remove the cover with a normal amount of oil in the crankcase and draining the oil is not necessary. 

I am doing the gasket in my 99 DR650 today, so sick of my engine looking messy and oil all over my boots and pants every time I ride, not to mention the wasted oil.  A lot of good posts on this thread, its an oldie but a goodie.  I've seen that some people can do it without removing the head pipe and clutch cable bracket, whats the general concensus on this ? I suppose it can be massaged in without removing but it does not leave much room for wrenching.