Sign in to follow this  

drz400 led turnsignal probs

I bought and installed some motoled led turnsignals,wired em up and they dont light up, flash, or anything..ive seen some post bout relays, anybody gots any ideas...

The LEDs might not have enough resistance to make the flasher operate. You can mess around with inline resistors or the best way is to buy a flasher from Grote that has a external ground. Its easy to wire in and it is made to operate LEDs. Ian

thnks, grote.com i assume, and do i wire them near the unit itself or up front by the headlight..

You only need one flasher. Locate the original flasher and wire the new one in its place. Ian

I am not convinced you need a flasher or resistors. There should be enough resistance to make the led turn signals flash. They will just flash at a faster rate due to the lower resistance. I would double check your wiring. It is odd neither side will flash though. Maybe you have your wires mixed up.

i did that, i kept the factory wiring clips and just cut the wires from the stock signals and spliced with the new ones....

A two pronger w external ground will work fine. I'm trusting you have the lights installed correctly

Noble paging Noble. He is the DRZ master electrician.

BTW PRDRZ I am not saying you are incorrect, I am just not convinced.

Noble paging Noble. He is the DRZ master electrician.

BTW PRDRZ I am not saying you are incorrect, I am just not convinced.

No worries. Been a mechanic 20 odd years, my mantra is " its never what it is until its what it was" .Ian

thnks for all the help...

Let us know how it works out.

" its never what it is until its what it was"

I like that.

My typical MO is to tear everything apart looking for the problem only to find it was very simple and quite obvious. :lol:

I bought and installed some motoled led turnsignals,wired em up and they dont light up, flash, or anything..ive seen some post bout relays, anybody gots any ideas...

An easy way to check if your leds are ok (assume you have changed all 4 lights) is to connect one of your oem lights back,and check if it(New leds) works.

You can just paralell wire it togethe with your leds.

As stated earlier in this thread,your light should blink ,but at a very high rate.

In stead of buying resistors(You'll need one for each blinker) ,go for a electric relay (Eg http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Pin-Electronic-Flasher-Relay-Unit-For-LED-Indicators_W0QQitemZ110302472157QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110302472157&_trkparms=72%3A1240|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ). you will need to rewire a little from the existing relay, but there should be faq's about it in the forum.

This is a far better solution, and probably cheeper:thumbsup:

I am not convinced you need a flasher or resistors. There should be enough resistance to make the led turn signals flash. They will just flash at a faster rate due to the lower resistance. I would double check your wiring. It is odd neither side will flash though. Maybe you have your wires mixed up.

Yep, I agree. I also have the Motoled lights, and they

work fine with nothing else needed. Yes they do blink

faster, but they still work. I'm starting to like the faster blinking! It' an attention getter. Anything that is different from what people are normally used to seeing, gets there attention.

Those Moto LED's should work without adding anything, albeit they will flash faster then norm. I know first hand they won't even come on,

if they are not wired right. The wire with the White tracer is the Ground.

Regards Sonny

Some led`s can be defective right out of the box. Is it all 4 that don`t work??? Double check the polarity...unlike incadesent light bulb ...led`s have a plus..and a minus.:lol:

Erling

Some led`s can be defective right out of the box. Is it all 4 that don`t work??? Double check the polarity...unlike incadesent light bulb ...led`s have a plus..and a minus.:lol:

Erling

In fact,you can just hook up a 9v battery to check if there's life...(Will not be as intence as when running 12-14v, but they will light)

In fact,you can just hook up a 9v battery to check if there's life...(Will not be as intence as when running 12-14v, but they will light)

+1 on that, I'd do the same for all your indicators, just to be sure. When I do mine I plan to measure the stock indicator resistance, do the same with the LED ones, subtract the LED resistance figure from the stockers and buy some resistors to solder in series with each of the LED indicators. That way, I get to keep the standard relay and I only modify the items I've added, that way if there's a problem, I can use the stock items to help me diagnose.

I normally don't chime in on electrical posts but I mounted LED blinkers on the rear of my bike, soldered the connections, used heat shrink tubing on all of it, and mine light up. Like everyone else said, they light up at a faster rate, but I don't mind.

Now what I am wondering, is I only have two LEDs mounted to the rear and had the stock ones up front. I removed the stock ones and am only using the two in the rear at the moment. If you had 4 leds all the way around with no resistor, would they all still light up? I don't see why not.

Any input?