Sign in to follow this  

Carbon Fiber integrated led tail light Build...Pic`s

After the great advise of fellow TT`ers....I went with the number one lens. As I am building this housing up from scratch, I thought i`d focus on illustrating how to make a mold which i have not done in my other CF threads.

First here is the tail light lens, that won the shoot out.🤣

IMG_0442.jpg

You then use a light...sandable medium block to start with. I use 2 part urethane foam. You sand that block to be a little smaller than the piece you are trying to mold. You then cover it with fiberglass filler...Bondo will work fine as well. Then it`s a matter of sanding....filling....sanding...and filling...you get the point.

IMG_0445.jpg

Here you can see the foam in the middle....

IMG_0446.jpg

And after a day`s work you end up with something like this....

IMG_0443.jpg

And here next to the lens......

IMG_0444.jpg

Its important to picture this...The puck will be layer`d with CF/Fiberglass which in turn now is your mold. So when you produce the castoff`s they will have the same diameter as the puck. I am going to make this one a two piece mold...since it other why would be just about impossible to brake the mold of the cast. We will get into that this afternoon.

Enjoy

Erling

• Like 1

Then you drill pour in epoxy and tap the puck, so it can be mounted securely while working the Carbon Fiber. Nothing is worse than a moving mold when lay`ing wet CF.🤣😛 ...

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Erling

Ok..so..yo cut a piece of plexiglass to essensially cut the cast in half. Make sure it follows the contures perfect`ly......

IMG_0449.jpg

Then you secure it with a square block of wood......

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Then you wax it several times......and ready for casting.....

Erling

Ok...so first layer of resin......

IMG_0458.jpg

And 15 min`s later....the second layer.....

IMG_0459.jpg

Erling

Cool, thanks for taking the time to show this! Did I mention that I will be spending the Christmas holidays at your house?🤣 .........

Stock up on resin and CF!!! 😛🤣

Cool, thanks for taking the time to show this! Did I mention that I will be spending the Christmas holidays at your house?🤣 .........

Stock up on resin and CF!!! 🤣

Brian If you can handle my Danish pork roast with crispies...Caramelized potatoes...and gravy...Give and take a few Carlsberg`s....(Read Pound`s later)

Then......You`r welcome any time...Just happens ..the guest room is through the garage:banana:🤣 Lots of CF in stock.🤣😛

On dec. 26`th we leave for our annual new year trip in Silverton, CO....So we gottahurry.🤣

Erling

• Like 1

I think you have a small marketing problem. You will never get people to pay you to do this if you keep teaching them how.

Have I given you any gas? I need to check.

I think you have a small marketing problem. You will never get people to pay you to do this if you keep teaching them how.

Have I given you any gas? I need to check.

🤣 ...Your right......I`d actually prefer to teach the how to...than do`it.

Nothing makes you more proud than what you make yourself. We will se though....If this turns out as nice as I think...It could be a desirable item 4 the Z..🤣😛

Erling

I think having the ability to teach is even greater than being able to do for yourself. If a student shares his knowledge with a student of his own your knowledge lives on even when you are gone.

Wow, did I just wax prophetic? Sorry about that gang.

I think having the ability to teach is even greater than being able to do for yourself. If a student shares his knowledge with a student of his own your knowledge lives on even when you are gone.

Wow, did I just wax prophetic? Sorry about that gang.

Yeppers.....Duane....very true. I enjoy the teaching part of this as much. I was talking to Brian ( Aspencop) about if a future TT/OTD bash happens...I was thinking about a CF workshop....If there were enough interest.🤣

Thanks

Erling

Oh, there will be enough interest........we just need to decide when to do it. Winter is probably not the best time, but I'm open to discussion.

The menu sounds great, I'm packing now! 😛

You WILL have to let me know when you are up here and we will have to try to meet over a beer or three!

Maybe you should come over here for the X-Games!🤣

Oh, there will be enough interest........we just need to decide when to do it. Winter is probably not the best time, but I'm open to discussion.

The menu sounds great, I'm packing now!🤣

You WILL have to let me know when you are up here and we will have to try to meet over a beer or three!

Maybe you should come over here for the X-Games!🤣

When is that??? (x-games)

I like the beer idea. When I get back up there i will let you know.🤣😛

Erling

So here is the finished half cast......

IMG_0462.jpg

It will now sit overnight.....And in the morning it`s Christmass time..🤣

Erling

Christmas time? In the morning your wife gives you your annual... OH...you mean you get to unwrap the mold!

Christmas time? In the morning your wife gives you your annual... OH...you mean you get to unwrap the mold!

Perhaps both.....🤣😛

Erling