Dual Sport riding suggestions for Colorado summer 2009

I am planning a trip to Colorado next summer? . I am a upper intermediate rider but will be bringing two riders with me that are high beginner to low intermediate riders. We will all have Suzuki DRZs that are street legal but off-road ready. I need suggestions as to where to stage for the best 4 day riding experience. I know Colorado well but not from an off-road angle. We are open to camping anywhere in the state but would like to set up camp once and not move the camp thus ride each day from the camp site. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcomed. We want the most scenic rides and are open to any part of Colorado. Single track is a plus. Thanks Paul

If you are looking to base camp somewhere and do day rides from the area, I would suggest the Seargents/Buena Vista/Gunnison Basin/Taylor Park area (Central CO). Check out Rick Ramsey's website. http://www.rickramsey.net/Places.htm Check out the "Places to Ride" and "Central Colorado Trail Loops- Detailed" for good DS rides. Try his DS "grand tour"!

He's got lots of great DS rides on his write up. Don't Miss the Taylor Park area. It's got all the beauty and Singletrack you want!

And, if you end up in the Boulder CO area for a day or so, look me up (here on TT). I can take you on some good DS rides around here.

Good luck.

If you are looking to base camp somewhere and do day rides from the area, I would suggest the Seargents/Buena Vista/Gunnison Basin/Taylor Park area (Central CO). Check out Rick Ramsey's website. http://www.rickramsey.net/Places.htm Check out the "Places to Ride" and "Central Colorado Trail Loops- Detailed" for good DS rides. Try his DS "grand tour"!

He's got lots of great DS rides on his write up. Don't Miss the Taylor Park area. It's got all the beaty and Singletrack you want!

And, if you end up in the Boulder CO area for a day or so, look me up (here on TT). I can take you on some good DS rides around here.

Good luck.

WOW, What a great page. Thanks for the link. Boulder was one of the options but we are leaning towards Central Colorado. Thank you for the offer. If we end up in your "neck of the woods" I will most certainly check in with you before we head to CO. Thanks Paul

Taylor Park Res is not REAL far from Leadville. I would use Taylor as the base though tather than Leadville.

Years ago I did a dual sport ride from Taylor up over Taylor pass, down into Aspen, then the Independence Pass road over to the highway that runs up to Leadville. North of Leadville we ran Holy Cross City trail and then back down the highway to Buena Vista and over Cottenwood Pass back into Taylor.

Was a long day but WAY worth it.

A definite TO DO dual sport from Taylor would also be over to Crested Butte (either by trail or road) and then Crystal Canyon to Marble. Hike up to the Marble Quarry and then back. If it gets too late in the day, the highway south from Marble hits a dirt road back to Crested Butte. Did this one the same trip we did the Holy Cross City dual sport.

Back in the day on 85 XL350R and 85 XT350.

Taylor Park Res is not REAL far from Leadville. I would use Taylor as the base though tather than Leadville.

Years ago I did a dual sport ride from Taylor up over Taylor pass, down into Aspen, then the Independence Pass road over to the highway that runs up to Leadville. North of Leadville we ran Holy Cross City trail and then back down the highway to Buena Vista and over Cottenwood Pass back into Taylor.

Was a long day but WAY worth it.

Taylor Park has a lot of fun riding in it and around it, but I don't think I would recommend Taylor Pass for a "High Beginner" on a street-legal DRZ. It has a fairly long boulder field and quite a bit of loose rock.

Taylor Park has a lot of fun riding in it and around it, but I don't think I would recommend Taylor Pass for a "High Beginner" on a street-legal DRZ. It has a fairly long boulder field and quite a bit of loose rock.

I rode it back in 1988 on my (new to me) 85 XL350R dual purpose bike. This was my 4th off-road ride after getting that bike which was my first ever dirt bike. I was about 30 years old.

The new DRZ400S's are WAY more competent now than what that XL350R was 20 years ago.

One of the guys that rides in our group rides a DRZ400S and rides every single trail we ride. Timberline, Star, Horseshoe, Eyrie Basin. He rides them all.

Or go to Ouray and ride over the passes to Lake City and back(90 miles).

Next day, do Ouray to Telluride and back(70 miles).

A must do for first timers to CO.

To do this the bike must be plated and carry insurance. Those are county roads and Ranger Warren is out there giving tickets.

Great place to ride tho.:worthy:

To do this the bike must be plated and carry insurance. Those are county roads and Ranger Warren is out there giving tickets.

Great place to ride tho.:worthy:

We are all fully street legal and insured so that is not a problem. We rode right through Yosemite this summer and had no problems so i would guess in rural Colorado we should also have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
I would choose Ouray/Telluride/Lake City for dual sport. Next pick would be Breckenridge/Montazuma area. Do both if you got the time. National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps are great maps for that type of riding.

Ouray and Sliverton areas are as good as it gets, my first choice for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Telluride and would agree it is awesome for dual sporting. Contrary to popular belief, the town is pretty dirt bike friendly. Just don't be stupid. If you are fully plated you will have no issues. We left here one day this fall, headed south 20 minutes on hwy 145 to Lizard Head Pass, took the East Fork singletrack trail (not super technical) to where it connects with Bolan Pass/Barlow Pass, which is an easy 4wd road, ran that out to Durango Mtn Resort, hwy to Silverton for lunch, Ophir Pass home. Total ride time including lunch at the Brewery was 5 hrs. You could also go Black Bear to T-ride, Imogene back to Ouray, spend a day at Flattop in Montrose, and the list just goes and goes...

Give me a shout if you have other questions on the area. Glad to help out or possibly show you around!

I live in Telluride and would agree it is awesome for dual sporting. Contrary to popular belief, the town is pretty dirt bike friendly. Just don't be stupid. If you are fully plated you will have no issues. We left here one day this fall, headed south 20 minutes on hwy 145 to Lizard Head Pass, took the East Fork singletrack trail (not super technical) to where it connects with Bolan Pass/Barlow Pass, which is an easy 4wd road, ran that out to Durango Mtn Resort, hwy to Silverton for lunch, Ophir Pass home. Total ride time including lunch at the Brewery was 5 hrs. You could also go Black Bear to T-ride, Imogene back to Ouray, spend a day at Flattop in Montrose, and the list just goes and goes...

Give me a shout if you have other questions on the area. Glad to help out or possibly show you around!

Damn you have been around since 06 and only have 6 post.

Hey when the snow melts we need to ride.?

• Like 1

yeah, mostly been lurkin and learnin, and i just recently found the regional section which seems more relevant to me plus I have a new bike project for the winter and have still got dirt bikes on the brain right now versus ski/snowboard so i have been on here a lot more. we rode flattop in montrose a week and a half ago in the afternoon-not another soul and around 55 degrees. definitely up for riding when possible. hows aztec/farmington for winter riding?