Is my clutch Done?

So I have a 2008 WR450F that I bought in February, I have put a little less than 100hours on it, and now I have adjusted my clutch to the end of travel with the thumb wheel on the clutch lever. The clutch is not slipping yet, but releases at the far end of the lever release, and I cant adjust it any more. I am not getting very smooth engagement anymore either.

I think that means its time for some new plates... but just wanted to check with the experts first.

From what I have read it sounds like OEM plates are the way to go. What do you guys think?

One friend recommended a Barnett clutch with steel plates.

What do I need for the job too? just friction plates? or the metal clutch plates too? any other consumables in one of these clutch jobs? This is my first Motorcycle clutch experience.

Thanks!!!!!

I have over 6000km on my 06 WR and my clutch is just fine.

I would suggest a new cable before looking at the clutch. Or at least check the length of your current cable compared to a new one. Seems odd for your clutch to go with such little use.

Good Idea.

I will check out the cable system a little closer....

The OEM manual gives a minium thickness for the plates, but I would have to take it all apart to measure it.

How long should a clutch last? I have no idea what to expect.

I probably have 2000- 3000 miles on it... most of those are on trails.

Good Idea.

I will check out the cable system a little closer....

The OEM manual gives a minium thickness for the plates, but I would have to take it all apart to measure it.

How long should a clutch last? I have no idea what to expect.

I probably have 2000- 3000 miles on it... most of those are on trails.

get a magura clutch jack while you are at it. that would be rad?

214R%2BEYI%2BML._SL500_.jpg

Ok so this is weird.

I took the clutch lever assembly apart and everything in there looks fine, put it back together and the release point is still at the dead end of the lever throw.

Took the clutch cover and pressure plate off, and the plates are still totally in spec, measure 3.0mm, just as thick as a new one basically. the metal and friction plates all look fine.

If the cable stretched, this might make sense, but the problem is if the cable was too short, which cant happen.

The cable housing might be collapsing, I will take a closer look at that.... maybe it got pinched somewhere....

what else could go wrong? Any ideas????

Thanks!

I will just keep taking stuff apart I guess.

I would chase the cable but stretch is not the problem, it is the opposite. The problem is as if the cable was too short, or the cable housing was too long. I will inspect it, but i doubt that is the problem. Cables should never shorten over time. The housing would only get shorter over time unless it got pinched and bent around a corner maybe.

The problem is as if the clutch stack got too short.

Also there is an engagement range problem, its like the clutch is an on/off switch, in a tiny amount of lever travel at the end of release the clutch goes from completely disengaged to completely locked. But I still have slack in the lever beyond that.

Next I think I will remove the push lever and inspect it, from the outside it looks fine.

I think I will take out the primary drive gear too. If some kind of thrust bearing behind that disintigrated and shortened the stack height, then it could explain the problem.

Thanks guys!

The housing would only get shorter over time unless it got pinched and bent around a corner maybe.

the housing can get "longer" if the internal wire is damaged or the ferrel comes off.

if your clutch is graby and you can't feather it, then I don't think you have a cable issue, if that is any help.

I took everything apart including the primary gear. Everything looks golden... like new... which is what I would expect considering the number of hours.

The clutch still works but just releases at the end of travel and I have no more adjustment....

so

Is "Clutch Tuning" a common thing???? Could this be what I am looking for? I have heard of people adding a plate to their clutches..... I could also swap one or 2 of the thiner clutch plates for a thicker one and ad a little bit of thickness.... i think the thicker ones are .4mm thicker than the thin ones.

What do you guys think? I am at the end of my rope....

Thanks,