Looking to buy a 2003 200SX

Anything I should look out for.

It's a screaming deal (I think). Super clean, FMF pipe, other misc. mods, but mainly stockish. for 1500.

I hear that the SX are lighting ready? If so to what extent? I have done some searches, but can't find a definitive answer.

How are the 2003's?

I will be turning this into my woods weapon.

I'm on a CRF450R right now. It is NOT a woods bike.

Here is a pic of the bike. I know it will need a bit of work to get it lean, clean and mean. But for 1500??

114ea56c.jpg

I have both bikes. 06 CRF 450 and 03 KTM 200SX. My 2hunny is the perfect woods weapon for the tight twisty races we do in southeast Texas. I have the Rekluse, sub tanks, steering dampner, well just about EVERY bell and whistle. I LOVE THE 200!! can I say that loud enough. ok well the SX is not lighting ready and you do have to shift it a lot to keep in the sweet spot but mad does it fly. After riding the 450 at the track the 200 feels like a mountain bike in comparison. 70 miles at race pace, NO PROBLEM

Hey Man, how goes it!

You'll like the 200, I love mine. The only negative thing about the SX, is it has a higher first gear and a lower sixth. Out in Nevada with the open stuff geared 14/48 it tops out at 65 which is a little low, you know what I mean, there are 100 mph dry lakes and power line roads there.........

Every where else it shines. Play with the power valve to get the hit where you want it. You can add the 1/4" reed block spacer from the '06 bikes and get a little more bottom without giving up the top end like when you put on a Gnarly. I like the SST pipe on mine, it gives a little boost everwhere, but you have to have the matching SST silencer (something almost every one else forgets to mention).

It's a funny thing about the SX's, they seem to randomly come with different ignitions, seems like it's just blind luck. The 2K1 has no lighting, but the lightest flywheel effect. The 2K2 has 35 / 40 watts AC. The 2K3 has 65 watts AC, but you can float the ground, (I put up an article on how to do that on the 702 site), and get 90 - 100 watts DC out of it. All you have to do is pull the ignition cover (it's dry, no oil) and take a look. Visually, the difference is obvious, see below:

2KStatorID.gif

The bike is light, has a surprising amount of grunt for a small bore, but a nice rev range. You can "strech" a gear from lug to scream and back again if you feel lazy shifting.............. The '03 200SX is supposed to be the "definitive" year 200. This motor had the most power, and the best spread of it, from what I read every where. If you send the head off to Clay at C&M Maching, or to Josh at J Bone Motor Works and get the head re-cut, you get even more out of it. Set your "X" Dimension to 0.00", get your power valve set at the "langston" setting or a little lower, and look at the Sudco single taper needles, and you'll be very happy with the results. The '03 SX comes with the 39mm carb, so watch what jetting specs you look at, many models (like the EXC and the newer bikes) have the 36 / 38mm series carbs.

Here's mine in night racing trim................

2003KTM200SX002.jpg

your good your good.....just didnt want false information floating around out there....lmao:smirk:

but the 200xcw's are supposed 2 b faster top end than the 250 xc's....so iv heard...put a 46t rear on a 200xc...and try...i said try to hold on...i found it was to fast in second gear to ride in tights...?