Sign in to follow this  

Beginner's Guide to KXF Carb Cleaning

There's been a few questions here and there about cleaning carbs, jets, etc., so I thought I'd take some pics as I cleaned mine tonight to give some visuals. Maybe this can be made a sticky.

First off... dont ever make your bike look like this.. it's pointless:

frame.jpg

To take your carb out, first shut off your gas, loosen the exhaust clamp, carb boots, free the vent hoses, pull the sub frame, and pull the gas tank. It might be possible to get the carb out without taking the rear shock out, but it's MUCH easier to take two more bolts out and save a lot of hassle.

Once you have everything off, pull the carb out of the intake boot, but remember you still have cables and wires attached. First disconnect the TPS (throttle position sensor) wire.

On the RH side of the carb is a grey plastic cover held on by one allen bolt. Take the bolt off, use a 10mm wrench to loosen the throttle cables, and pull those.

Next, take your hot-start plunger out, on the LH side of the carb. There's some cable holders on the inside of the upper frame spars that can be removed to give you a little more slack to work with.

Now, take your carb out, and you should have something that looks like this:

carb1.jpg

Here's the tools you'll need- a 3mm hex, 4mm hex, phillips and flat screwdrivers, a punch if you're pulling the float pin out, and a 6mm wrench for the main jet:

carb0.jpg

Take the bowl off of the carb with these four screws- make sure not to strip them, as they can be pretty tight.

carb2.jpg

Here's what you'll see in the carb: (sorry, I dont know what the "No One Cares" jet is

carb3.jpg

In the bottom of the bowl, you'll find the Leak Jet, which regulates how much gas comes out of the accelerator pump:

carb4.jpg

To remove the needle, take out these two screws:

carb5.jpg

And then this one, which holds the needle in the slide:

carb6.jpg

The leak jet and the pilot jet can be removed with a flat head screwdriver, and the main jet requires the 6mm wrench,

Here's everything you'll pull out of the carb, and everything you ought to clean while you're in there:

carb7.jpg

carb8.jpg

carb9.jpg

If you need to adjust float height, carefully bend the tab on the float to regulate where the needle will stop allowing gas to enter the bowl.

Might not be a bad idea to clean out the AP (accelerator pump) while you're at it. Inside there just a spring and the pump diaphragm.

carb10.jpg

Some chemicals will cause the diaphragm to expand, so it might be best to use mild soap and water. For everything else, use some carb or brake cleaner, and blow through it with compressed air to clear any dirt and grime from the jets, air passages, and fuel passages.

Also, when re-installing the hot-start plunger, be sure to apply some grease to it to prevent it seizing to the carb body.

This isn't real in-depth, but might be useful for someone's first time cleaning/disassembling a carb, and will help them know what goes where.

As for jetting, dont read PrimalRage's sticky, because it's not there anymore. :lol:

• Like 8

thanks, appreciate it, we need more tech tips like this! gasssssssss:thumbsup:

wow mwagner, you trying to pick up the slack since pr1mals gone ? Those are some big shoes to fill...

:lol::p:lol:

once again, that's all I'm saying.

Great post! :lol:

I've split the case twice but have not opened the carb ever.

Good gas for you.

Great post! :lol:

I've split the case twice but have not opened the carb ever.

Good gas for you.

That's amazing... I've opened the carb countless times and haven't considered the cases.. oh well.

• Like 1

That's amazing... I've opened the carb countless times and haven't considered the cases.. oh well.

I would much rather take my carb apart then splitting the cases anyday!:lol:

Nice pix btw in your post mwagner01

Great thread, My bike is Backfiring horribly and I think it is a gummed up carb so I am going to try and clean it. Me being not mechanically inclined I am a little nervous that if I do manage to get the carb out, I wont be able to put it back in correctly... Is it difficult at all just getting it out and putting it back in?

make sure your boots are seated well and you'll be set. You dont want any air leaking! Be sure to take the rear shock out for easy access.

hey how do you take the hotstart out? i didnt really try cause i didnt have no time but im not good with those cables and such...any help would be great. thanks!

it's not the most fun thing, but not too hard.

I think it's a 14 mm wrench, or pliers. You can only turn it a little bit at a time, but it just un-screws. there's a rubber boot that goes over the cable and connectors, i usually use a bit of wd40 to loosen it up and let it turn easier.

Just a FYI, the "no one cares jet" is the choke jet. Unless you ice ride in 0degree weather, never need to mess with it.

Excellent post wagner, good pictures!

Just a FYI, the "no one cares jet" is the choke jet. Unless you ice ride in 0degree weather, never need to mess with it.

Excellent post wagner, good pictures!

Aha.. thank you. I now know what the no ones cares jet is.

And is everything pretty easily identified, or should I pay extra attention to what goes where? Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure that in 2 weekends ill be back here asking some more questions, but I might as well try and get as much info as I can now.

well, at least with this thread, there's pictures of which jets are which, and there's another picture of where they go. you cant go wrong! haha

well, at least with this thread, there's pictures of which jets are which, and there's another picture of where they go. you cant go wrong! haha

Im talking about all of the connections to the carb.

well the only things really connected are the throttle cables and the hot start. There's two throttle cables. If you want to make life really easy, mark which one is on top and which is the bottom. One pulls the slide open, and one pulls it closed. If you dont mark it, all you have to do is twist the throttle and see which one pulls, and find which side of the wheel on the carb needs to be pulled to open the slide. Sorry.. sounds confusing.. it's really easy.