Amsoil Dominator vs Interceptor Premix for Husky

Ryboj,

I run the interceptor at 45:1 and all my tear downs have been perfect. No carbon build up whatsoever. The power valve has been clean and oiled. Virtually no measurable wear after many hours. If you were racing a 125 in MX then maybe I would opt for the dominator. For all around use go with the interceptor JMO.

Walt

wally I would have to agree!! Thats the 2nd most important reason I buy it..LOL!!!! Actually I do believe in amsoil also, this summer made me a believer, I bought an 02 yz250 off of a guy I could tell knew nothing at all about bikes. Afer I got it home I was changing gear oil, and draining the old fuel and decided I better clean the air filter while I'm at it......well it was not easy to clean as it had deteriorated into pieces, there was nothing left but an airbox and intake tube full of crusty old foam..and dirt..LOL!!! Funny now, but I wasn't so pleased when I saw it. So off comes the top end, and to my surprise not a mark in the cylinder wall, the piston looked good. I ordered a new one and the difference in the skirt measurement was one ten thousandth between the new wiseco and the poorly maintained stocker. The guy ran amsoil and I figure it has to be good after that, just not available anywhere close to me.

Wally, do you think it would work good in all 3 of my local bikes?

The WR250/TE410 and my old 430 (which I normally use SAE85)

Just seeing if I can find a good universal oil that will work well in all.

Or should I just keep using individual oils to suite each one?

Is the 20-50 just good when it's darn hot, like 90 degrees plus?

I use the dominator pre mix and love it. Have used klotz in the past but found the amsoil to burn cleaner for me.

I have used spectro clutch saver, amsoil 10w40 tranny and recently switched to royal purple 20w50 tranny oil. Have had a shifting problem from 3rd thru 5th gears and the 20w50 took care of it for me.

I prefered the amsoil over the spectro it came out cleaner and ran alittle cooler but could not get 20w50 local so had to switch to royal purple.

Mike

I use the dominator pre mix and love it. Have used klotz in the past but found the amsoil to burn cleaner for me.

I have used spectro clutch saver, amsoil 10w40 tranny and recently switched to royal purple 20w50 tranny oil. Have had a shifting problem from 3rd thru 5th gears and the 20w50 took care of it for me.

I prefered the amsoil over the spectro it came out cleaner and ran alittle cooler but could not get 20w50 local so had to switch to royal purple.

Mike

Mike... are you racing or just riding hard when using the dominator? It seems from the above and reading on Amsoil's site that it likes that usage better that just regular riding. The only bike of mine that I'm on it for long periods of time would be the 410, so tranny oil is the only critical aspect there.

I'm not on it for long periods of time or racing, 2T wise, so I'm not certain I can justify the dom use.... but I'm glad to hear your experience with it, sounds like it may have been superior to the Klotz in your application.

I have been using the Spectro clutch saver exclusively on the old xc430....it seems to like it, but was trying to work myself into one type oil to keep it all simple....

What temp do you normally ride in?

Now just have to go with 10-40 or 20-50.....

Mike... are you racing or just riding hard when using the dominator? It seems from the above and reading on Amsoil's site that it likes that usage better that just regular riding. The only bike of mine that I'm on it for long periods of time would be the 410, so tranny oil is the only critical aspect there.

No racing. Ride tight single track 90% of the time. The group I ride with really pushes it on the trail. Riding at high rpms most of the time. My thought is have the best lubrication available. Like I said it burns clean for me. My local store only carries the dominator oil so I can not give you a comparison to the interceptor oil.

I'm not on it for long periods of time or racing, 2T wise, so I'm not certain I can justify the dom use.... but I'm glad to hear your experience with it, sounds like it may have been superior to the Klotz in your application.

I think how you ride and under what conditions have more to do with it. If you ride 2 tacks and open trails at a easy pace. Then using the dominator oil could be a little overkill.

I have been using the Spectro clutch saver exclusively on the old xc430....it seems to like it, but was trying to work myself into one type oil to keep it all simple....

I like spectro. I used it in my kawwy with good results. My Husky just did not like it. Developed a weird shifting prob. Tried 10w40 amsoil was a little better. Could not get to my normal moto store and had to stop at the local auto parts. All they ghad for bikes was the royal purple 20w50 and it fixed my problem.? I guess it was just one of those things.

What temp do you normally ride in?

anywhere from 50 degrees to 100 degrees

Now just have to go with 10-40 or 20-50.....

Like I said I used the amsoil 10w40 with good results. Probably would still be using it if I hadnt stumbled on a fix for my shifting problem with the 20w50.

Hope this helps

Mike

Klotz Super Techniplate 36:1,, it just flat out smells better!!

It does smell good, but it is not particularly clean burning, esp at woods speeds. If you rev all the time and/or do frequent top ends, prob fine. Tresa's bike is currrently down awaiting a new top end because it carboned up and the rings started sticking in their grooves and pressing against the cylinder and wore out fast. Admittedly, there was 180 hrs on the top end....

I have used dominator in the past, but interceptor burns cleaner. For purely high-rpm operation, I would go with dominator, but for general trailriding and enduro/desert racing, I like the cleaner burn.

Try both. If you get noticeably more spooge and stuff with the dominator, then use the interceptor. If your riding style and conditions are such that the dominator burns clean enough for you, then use that.

I've been running mainly Interceptor but recently switched to Dominator as the price is now almost the same where I buy it. I am doing a top end now and after a year there was no reason to even think about cleaning the power valves. It seems to work well but I can't say that many other oils would not also. I run it 32:1 in my 125.

I get a little spooge and always have goo when I drain the power valve but that may be due to jetting, slow woods riding, or running Av Gas which has a high evaporation curve.

As for gearbox oils I find I either get clutch drag, hard shifting, false neutrals, or all of the above if I use the wrong oil. This bike is picky. The best I have found are Amsoil 0-40 or Mobile 1 0-40 (non energy conserving). I usually buy the Mobile 1 as it is cheaper. I get 2 rides out of these before the false neutrals come. I have used Rotella also but it is only good for one ride and the bike shifts harder. I bought this bike new and my previous WR250 was the same way so I don't think anything is wrong with the bike. I am probably just more picky or my shifting technique not so good.

tranny oils, you might laugh but all this internet reading and, posts on what to run I decided to run a 50/50 mix of ATF & Klotz synthetic 30 gear oil. Seems to be fine, clutch feels great in the 2 bikes I'm running it in and I feel I have all the problems with each version covered by running both..LOL!!!

I run the Dominator at 50:1. I have been using it for a few years. Tear downs have impressed me. Power valves are very clean. However, I work on bikes for others who run different oils. Mostly Maxima K2 and their bikes also look good. I think it is hard to find a bad oil among the name brand synthetics. Mix it according to your usage and you will be fine.

I like the Amsoil 0w-40 for the gear box but I only use it for racing. I like the extra temperature protection of a synthetic for extended use (racing). For trail riding I run Pennzoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. I have also used it for years and tear downs support its effectiveness. I don't notice a difference in shifting or false neutrals in any of my bikes between the Amsoil and the Pennzoil. I have swapped bikes with a buddy who also rides a Husky and he asked me what I was running in my gear box as he felt my bike shifted better than his. I had the Pennzoil and he was running the Amsoil.

Bikes I am currently running Dominator (engine) and Pennzoil (gear box):

'01 Husky WR360, '07 Husky WR250, '03 Kawasaki KX100 and an '04 Gas Gas TXT280.