Flushing coolant with household vinegar?

Hi. I bought some Engine Ice for my DRZ but can't seem to find any white vinegar to flush the cooling system. So, would it be OK if I used grape vinegar/distilled water mix and flushed it real good with distilled water afterwards, or should I stick with just distilled water to be safe?

Ur not supposed to use straight vinigar to flush the radiators, at least thats not how i heard it. Use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water. Put the mixture in after you drain the old coolant and warm the bike up to normal operating temp, i just ran it for 10 min around my yard. Drain it, then fill it up with just distilled water and do the same thing. Drain the distilled water and fill it up one more time with the 50/50 mixture and warm it up again. Drain it once more and then do another cycle of distilled water. I did a two cycles of distilled water at the end to ensure all the vinegar was out. This might be a little excessive but i got a ton of crud out of my radiators and boy were they clean :lol:. Not sure if there is any difference in chemical composition of grape vinegar and regular vinegar that would be harmful to the bike so it would be best to go buy some regular stuff :p.

I use engine ice in all of my bikes.

Drain coolant

Fill with distilled water and run for a few min.

Drain water

Repeat this again.

Then fill with engine ice.

Works great for me.

The moderately acidic solution of 50/50 water white vinegar does a better job of cleaning the system and prepping it for new coolant.

Chemical composition should be the same. Both white vinegar and the regular one contains acetic acid, but regular vinegar must contain a good deal of impurities to boot, which aren't supposed to go in your radiators. What I wonder is, whether those impurities would do some harm even if I keep it in for just a few minutes and flush it real good afterwards.

Windex does a really good job of cleaning. It cleans, but is not as harsh to the system as straight vinegar. I always buy the house brand, but its the same stuff.

Dont use any of the car or truck flushes. I had one of those eat a radiator once.

Chemical composition should be the same. Both white vinegar and the regular one contains acetic acid, but regular vinegar must contain a good deal of impurities to boot, which aren't supposed to go in your radiators. What I wonder is, whether those impurities would do some harm even if I keep it in for just a few minutes and flush it real good afterwards.

It won't cause there are no impurities if ur using distilled white vinegar. I was told to do it that way by my mechanic I flush my radiators that way every time. Its cheap and after ur done with it u can use it for frenchfries :lol:

I'd be cautious about using anything but plain white vinegar. The other ones like the "grape" vinegar mentioned earlier are bound to be loaded with sugar, flavorings, dyes and who knows what. That can't be good!

Hi. I bought some Engine Ice for my DRZ but can't seem to find any white vinegar to flush the cooling system.]

What do you mean you cant find it? Have you tried a supermarket? i have never seen one that doesnt carry white vinegar.

What do you mean you cant find it? Have you tried a supermarket? i have never seen one that doesnt carry white vinegar.

I think hes talking about around the house :lol:

I think hes talking about around the house :lol:

Hehehe :p The problem is, my house is in Istanbul - Turkey.

No, I didn't try the supermarkets. I googled "beyaz sirke" which is the Turkish for "white vinegar" and there were so few results that I concluded it's just something the Turkish market was unfamiliar with.

I asked a couple of pharmacies if they sell white vinegar or "a rose in any other name" like acetic acide solution.

"No, but we have ethyl alcohol if you like." they said. No, thanks.

Hehehe :lol: The problem is, my house is in Istanbul - Turkey.

No, I didn't try the supermarkets. I googled "beyaz sirke" which is the Turkish for "white vinegar" and there were so few results that I concluded it's just something the Turkish market was unfamiliar with.

I asked a couple of pharmacies if they sell white vinegar or "a rose in any other name" like acetic acide solution.

"No, but we have ethyl alcohol if you like." they said. No, thanks.

Any food market worldwide should have vinegar. The "white" in white vinegar may be an English or American term so just look for the plain clear variety. It looks just like water.

Thats it. My new mission in life to make $$$$$$

I will import vinegar to Turkey. Imagine how excited they will be with the new product. It may even lead to a tv show or something.

Really, if the vinegar is that tough to find, try the Windex window cleaner. It may even smell better.