KX or KTM

Thought I'd post this question to those that have more experience than I :lol:. Anyway, my son is ready to move up to a 65 and I'm not sure which way to go. Some info...my son is not fast but ready to move up. We do race, but participation and safety is #1...not winning or speed. I'm not a mechanic. So, any thoughts? I have lots of experience with Kawasaki, but none with KTM. I guess the most important thing is reliability...so how is KTM?

Thanks for any advise.

Thought I'd post this question to those that have more experience than I :p. Anyway, my son is ready to move up to a 65 and I'm not sure which way to go. Some info...my son is not fast but ready to move up. We do race, but participation and safety is #1...not winning or speed. I'm not a mechanic. So, any thoughts? I have lots of experience with Kawasaki, but none with KTM. I guess the most important thing is reliability...so how is KTM?

Thanks for any advise.

the ktm is a great bike :lol: but overall the kawi is going to be more reliable, make sure you use a good oil at 32-1 and you'll be fine, there is also more aftermarket support for the kawi and its more fun to mod:banana:

The ktm stock is a little faster and a better racer, but needs much more maint. then the kawi.

I'm with Jam on this 100%.

And when looking at Kawi (used) also look at the Suzuki RM65 - same bike.

TIP - Parts tend to be cheaper if you buy the suzuki ones.

I'd say it would come down to a knowledgeable, well stocked dealer that supports local racing and riders. Either bike is equal in my eyes, and the familiarity with the Kawasaki's would sway me that way, and I think they (kawasaki) support racers a little better at this time, if thats what you're going to be doing. What color does your kid like? That could be the whole issue and deciding point:lol:

KTM much easier to ride for a beg/nov rider.I have no more maintenece to do on the KTM then the KX if you go with the KX run @ 28:1 those bikes liked to go through cranks (may not be a issue with beg.rider)Suspension/handling/clutch/powerband are much eassier to use on the KTM IMO.Also ask your little guy which he likes; he has to be happy too alot has to do mentally.

Good Luck with what ever you chose and keep it fun :worthy:

the ktm is a great bike :thumbsup: but overall the kawi is going to be more reliable, make sure you use a good oil at 32-1 and you'll be fine, there is also more aftermarket support for the kawi and its more fun to mod:banana:

The ktm stock is a little faster and a better racer, but needs much more maint. then the kawi.

Jam, I am curious how come you keep saying that the KTM requires more maintenance? I haven't done much of anything other than having the back tired changed. Change oil, clean air filter, fill up with gas, RIDE !!! Oh and change rings at 30hrs. Been very reliable for us so far.

As far as having a dealer around, Munn's racing in Texas can get you any part for your KTM in 2 - 3 days. No issue for us.

we have had caliper problems, brake pad problems, loose motor mounts,

hydraulic clutch leaking, several broken spokes, primary sprocket seal got chewed up after only 5-6 races and started to leak, the KTM seems way way more sensitive to jetting then the kX-EXAMPLE: going from 4400ft to 8000ft all the kx65's didn't really require any jetting changes to not foul plugs, they might not have been jetted right still but they didn't foul plugs, the ktms that didn't rejet fouled plugs after every moto and would not restart. sprockets seem to wear a little faster on the ktm, i dont know but maybe the linkless rear has something to do with that?

the bottom end on the ktm 65's have seemed pretty bullet proof:worthy:

except for the ktm85 :thumbsup:

no doubt in my mind the ktm is a better stock class racer, and has much better front suspension and better OEM add-ons then the kx does,

thats why we might be getting a pumkin to race in the 65 6-8 class next year and save the kawi for the 65 mod class after i put a 82cc big bore kit on it :moon:

i dont want to scare anyone away from KTM 65's they are great bikes, but just compared to the kx i think the ktm is more maintenance involved.

the biggest down side i have with ktm is parts cost :ride:

we have 2 ktm dealers here, it seems 50/50 on if they have the part in stock or not, they have always been really bad with ktm 50's and keeping parts in stock, i just say thats becase they sell them all the day they come in :moon: but the 1 dealer here in draper has been keeping a ton more parts in stock this year so things are looking better.

What kind of ghetto KTM did you get stuck with? :moon:

That is one heck of a list of things that went wrong for you. Got Karma? J/K

Our sprockets haven't worn at all after 1 year of riding. We do have that cool Orange Renthal sprocket maybe because it's orange it is stronger?

We do have chain stretch issue likely due to the extreme power to weight ratio :thumbsup: compared to the mollasses like KX :moon:

No clutch issues at all perhaps a clutch abuser was spankin that machine?

Granted I don't have the elevation issues you deal with so I can't slam that :ride:

Loose engine mounts? Never had that issue. I'd use some loctite to fix that.

No brake or caliper problems front or back for us.

I am still on the same spark plug that came with the bike. Oh and the same bottom end too. When I did the top end there was absolutely no slop with the crank/bearings. If the bottom end is going out I'd look at the amount and quality of oil being used.

That my friends is my $.02

Both bikes are good with proper maintenance. Like I said Munn's Racing will ship to you any part within 2-3 days. Forget having a Dealer around.

- Fryboy

What kind of ghetto KTM did you get stuck with? :moon:

That is one heck of a list of things that went wrong for you. Got Karma? J/K

- Fryboy

it was a new 07 with a A class rider one of the faster kids so yes he beat it down but he also had a practice bike it was a 04 or 05 i think so the 07 only saw actual races and he still had all those problems, and actually several more, water pump hasnt gone out but he is going to replace it anyway to be on the safe side. it just seems every other race there is always some kid with a ktm that has some problem, but ktm's do outnumber the kx's on the track here so that may play a part in it. I still never see any KTM 65's out on the trails like i do kx's. I think it says in the owners manual never to ride more then 100yds away from your truck :ride:

i hear that ktm has finally updating there 30yr old rear suspension and it looks like they will get links in 2012 :thumbsup: maybe they will finally track in a str8 line.:moon:

Well, I've enjoyed the debate!! I went with the KX. The KTM was cleaner, but I got a GREAT deal on the KX which will allow me to replace everything I want, which I enjoy. Anyway, merry early christmas to my son.