Sag complete!!

Well I finally got off my butt and set my sag. Here's how it went, Started with my static and I measured out to 47MM and 117mm on race!!! oops! Guess I was on the soft side. Several turns later I dropped in at 23mm static and a race sag of 95mm. And 20mm on the front. Steering as way better and tracking is a dream. I had to back off my front rebound as I had it 4 from tight and with the rear set it changed the front handling. I still have some tweaking yet but man I gotta say that when someone says handling is everything they weren't a kidd'n. Plus I saved myself some $ on spring as I thought I was looking at a higher rate on both. Anyhow thanks to those for the links and PM info. :lol: It helped a lot. I can't believe how tame and easy it is to ride now.

KP

I too need to do this. No excuses...I have a bike lift, all the tools, and the info and now that it's getting colder out I just gotta grab a sixxer of my favorite beverage and sit down and do it.

Its not difficult at all, it took about 30min. I would always forgot about it until I dug her out for a ride and then I'd cuss on the trail. You'll need someone to measure while you're on the bike. Don't forget to fuel up and put all of your gear on for the race weight. If you drop into the 90-100mm range on your race sag but are above the static of 15mm at the end then you may need heavier springs. Hopefully you won't. I weigh 225 with all my crap on. Good luck

I did mine this summer. It made the green E a ton better on trails and such. Steers a bunch nicer (not nearly so heavy feeling up front), but it did make it harder for these shorter legs to touch down. That cost me in a couple of places on the trail. It took 8 turns of the adjuster to get it up to 100mm race sag.

Well I finally got off my butt and set my sag. Here's how it went, Started with my static and I measured out to 47MM and 117mm on race!!! oops! Guess I was on the soft side. Several turns later I dropped in at 23mm static and a race sag of 95mm. And 20mm on the front. Steering as way better and tracking is a dream. I had to back off my front rebound as I had it 4 from tight and with the rear set it changed the front handling. I still have some tweaking yet but man I gotta say that when someone says handling is everything they weren't a kidd'n. Plus I saved myself some $ on spring as I thought I was looking at a higher rate on both. Anyhow thanks to those for the links and PM info. :lol: It helped a lot. I can't believe how tame and easy it is to ride now.

KP

Is this for a SM?

It seems a little more difficult to find much agreement on a supermoto setup.

Alot depends what kind of terrain you will be riding. You listed 20mm as a front sag setting, is that static or race? Do you have more race sag on the front or rear?

Most of my suspension knowledge is dealing with sportbikes, which obviously have much less suspension travel than an off-road bike but I will throw this out there anyway. With a sportbike it is generally not reccomended to have more race sag on the rear than the front (tank slappers, twitchy handling). Some pretty common numbers are:

Front: 30-38mm race / 18-24 static

Rear: 25-33mm race / 5-12 static

So the race sag ends up being about 1/4 or slightly less of the total suspension travel.

I wonder how race sag set to 1/4ish of the travel on a SM setup and using compression to control bottoming would work out? Sorry if all this sounds crazy, I wish my SM was here...I am about to freak out on the dealer....:p

I'm in the dirt, my E model can't be converted for street anymore (bummed) because of red tape. Anyhow, I'm not a leading expert on suspension, I've only dealt and learned along the way with my own bike and a few buddies. Street I assume will be a different animal for you. But I believe the rules of sag measurement are the same as in "only so much allowed to drop". What the best set-up for SM is, I don't know. I would start a thread or PM asking for SM guy's. One thing is still for sure, once you get it dialed in for your style...you'll absolutely love the confidence the bike will bring. Good luck.

The 20mm drop in the front was race, I'm at 95mm in the rear race.