03 kx 250

I'm looking for some info that someone who rides green can help me with. I am looking at an 03 kx250, it seems like a nice bike, but is this a good year for the kawi? is the 03 much different from the 06? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bill

No one.....?????? No one has any info in reference to this bike?

mine is ok, ive done a bunch of work to it but its all been from lack of maintenance of the previous owner. good power, i like the steering geometry. everything else is good too.

lots n lots of aftermarket stuff out there to customize to hearts content.

It's a very good bike. Good power, excellent suspension (no bladder forks to have to deal with like my '02), first year of the new frame. It handles very well. My brother-in-law had one. I could pull him slightly out of turns, but he could gain it back on straights. His engine seemed to pull a little bit longer on top than mine. I hated his seat, though, it was like an over-stuffed marshmallow.

I'm looking for some info that someone who rides green can help me with. I am looking at an 03 kx250, it seems like a nice bike, but is this a good year for the kawi? is the 03 much different from the 06? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bill

The 03 and 06 have completely different motors, the 06 has the twin chamber forks also, and revised frame geometry.

It's a very good bike. Good power, excellent suspension (no bladder forks to have to deal with like my '02), first year of the new frame. It handles very well. My brother-in-law had one. I could pull him slightly out of turns, but he could gain it back on straights. His engine seemed to pull a little bit longer on top than mine. I hated his seat, though, it was like an over-stuffed marshmallow.

i like my seat.

mines used for trails,(enduros/hs) its light, runs cool. ive put on a clarke 3.3 tank, fww and a skid plate, barkbusters,rad guards. still want a gnarly pipe to help out the bottom end. some bigger moose pegs are on the list too.

stock suspension, valving backed all the way off (works good for me).

i like my seat.

LOL...he liked it too. To me it was just too soft, but then again I don't spend much time sitting.:lol:

Wow, 57 minutes before ragging us on not taking time out to help you quicker.

Chokey, the newer seats are stiffer than the '03 seat. It is definitely not the KDX Kouch!

is there much difference between the 03 and 04? I found one of each, the 04 is like new and I am thinking of going with it...

The 03 and 04 are very similar. The linkage is different between the two. They changed the cable routing for the front brake in 04 to the Honda style. Seat is taller on the 04 and the engine, in my opinion, is better. More low end and a smoother power delivery. Some say that the rear linkage on the 03 performs better in the roots, rocks and picks up the small stuff better. I have to agree, my 03 was a little plusher than my 04. Both were revalved by Works Enduro Rider, or WER. The front brake is a little stronger on the 04, probably due to the CR style routing of the brake hose. They changed the pipe mounting in 04 for better reliability. The 03 used a small dogbone mount by the subframe to main frame mounting point and the rubber bushing would wear out. My 03 had a Gnarly, V Force, Pro Circuit 296, 13/52 gearing, and a 11oz fww. It had to be ridden more aggressively because of its soft lowend. My 04 has pretty much the same mods, with the exception of a 9oz fww, but will chug up nasty, rocky uphills that the 03 would be a handfull on. Either bike would be a good choice, but if it was me, I would go for the 04.

Not trying to hijack you thread but I am going through the same thing. I just sold my 03 kx 125 and have been looking for another bike for day now. I found a sweet 04 kx 250 but didn't thiink i was ready for a 250 yet. Tell me what you guys think. Only paying $2600.00ca which is like $500US lol.

Here is a coupe pics

ee90_20.jpg

eece_20.jpg

eed6_20.jpg

eeda_20.jpg

It comes with a pc pipe plus stock. V reeds plus stock. engine cover, PT fat bars and also has 1 of them lil computers you guys use for woods riding. Wisco top, bernett clutch. The owner bought it new in summer of 04 so only owner which is cool.

Let me know what ya think guys!

The 04 kx250s are good. For the price it sounds like a deal. Great motor, great handling and very reliable too.

I'm a bit out of your year range but I had an 02 and went to an 07. The 07 is a much better bike. The handling is tighter/crisper/more responsive; the engine is more tractable for woods. The 07 absolutely RIPS in the top end with the stock pipe.

You need to lean the jetting on the 07. That is a major factor in the "hard hitting" reputation. With the stock jetting the 07 bogs, bogs, bogs..... then lights up like a raped ape! It reminded me of my 1980 YZ125G. Once jetted correctly she's a beaute!

My opinion, newer is better. 03/04 is close enough to the same bike. It's considered the same generation but they seem to make slight changes to every year. Luckily for us it is/was a very competitive market.

All the crap about the 07 being a top end only bike is from guys that don't know how to ride nasty single track. The low-end power is simply awesome. I just installed a 13oz FFW one ride ago and I think it made the bike worse overall so far. I'll give it another couple rides but I have a feeling I'll be posting a FFW for sale. The bike is just wicked without a slug on the crank.

I have a Gnarly pipe but I only bought it because I toasted my stock pipe. It's simply not thick enough to take real woods riding. The Gnarly does add a bit of bottom end, and it certainly takes away from the top-end. But that doesn't matter to a dedicated woods bike. The thicker metal is worth the top-drop!

sluggokx, go for it! Just go for some cans of paint stripper and repaint that frame properly. It looks like a frown could make it start peeling.

sluggokx, go for it! Just go for some cans of paint stripper and repaint that frame properly. It looks like a frown could make it start peeling.

The frame is powder coated but i am not liking it so I think i will get it redone silver.

wchase i would go for which ever was in better shape. From the reading that i have done so far they are close to the same bike.

hey wchase before u buy that bike send me a pm i know someone with an 03 kx 250 for sale in perfect condition(paint barely worn on the frame) with plenny of mods for 1900!!! and i have an 05 in the same shape for 2900

The frame is powder coated but i am not liking it so I think i will get it redone silver.

wchase i would go for which ever was in better shape. From the reading that i have done so far they are close to the same bike.

I have a chance to grab a decent 04 for 2200....is that a good price?

I have a chance to grab a decent 04 for 2200....is that a good price?

Not sure do you have any pic's of the bike??

The 2005-2007 KX250s are pretty good. If you get a chance to ride one, do it. Good punch off idle through the mid. Kind of lacking up top but a pipe and some jetting cured that on my 05.

No they are on my e-mail at home, I will try and post them tomorrow. I spoke with the owner several times, I am supposed to go look at it saturday, and if all goes well it will be in the back of the truck on the way home.