Sign in to follow this  

How far can you go with 4.0 gallon tank in Baja

Since I'm new to the 450X, I have no clue on expected fuel milage for Pre-running.

1) How many miles can you get with the IMS 4.0 (?) gallon tank?

2) Has anyone used the Acerbis 4.6 (?) gallon tank?

3) Which is 'better', the 'smaller' IMS or the Acerbis and why?

4) If I don't get around to either of these, how far can I go with the IMS 3.2 (?) gallon drybreak race version?

Thanx!

ka

My IMS 3.2 holds about 3.6 and I can do about 80 miles reliably. Would not plan gas or pit stops over 80 miles with the 3.2. Might be a little better with the new motor. Hopefully Mr. Airtime will chime in on this because he's got a 4.0 and can predict nearly to the ounce distance on fuel with the 450X. There are several discussions already about fuel range on this forum and as I recollect range varies a bunch between us. I'm a throttle chopping tard and sometimes I like to just spin the rear wheel for fun (plus I'm a fat ass so my bike guzzles fuel).

i have a08 wr 450 that i can get avg.35 miles per gallon at an avg.speed of 60the whole time.mind you that it wasn't pinned alot, just because i'm not racing, just cruisin on new mexico dirt, like you.

by the way what area do you live in NEW MEXICAN,i live in roswell.maybe we can ride some time.

Cubera, you just like the throttle too much.

Depending on terrain and throttle usage anywhere from 70 to as much as 105, but I agree with Cubera, about 80 is a safe number. We just carry gas in bottles in our packs.

We did a 120 mile ride last trip with everyone on 3.2's carrying gas in their packs. It was a blast!!!:lol:

Your getting the right answers I see....

90 miles is my 3.2G pre-running distance (in mostly non-sandy conditions), however I carry a gallon in a pack and can make 125 miles. Anything further is just pushing it.

I've heard of guys making outrageous miles on a 450X tank... I'll believe it when I see it (rider speed, terrain, etc etc all play part in this)

I've not used my 4G tank yet... but will, this next month, should be interesting.

My milage has been 40 mpg. 2005 450X with 3.2. I tried the 4.0 IMS and it was too large. The 3.2 seems to be a good balance. If needed I will carry a container on the long days.

Wow.....I've heard people say they get 40mpg with a 450X but I've never been able to get 30 mpg under any conditions regardless of gearing or jetting. It'll be interesting to see what the mpg differences will be between a bone stock '07 and the "slightly" modified '05 same rider same terrain.

Last Sunday I switched to reserve at 93.6 miles with my stock tank. With 30 miles on the tank I realized it was going to be a "sqeaker" so I kept the front wheel on the ground and took it easy the rest of the way back. It was a 150 mile day total.

The terrain was rocky Jeep roads & I weigh only 125 lbs. :lol:

IMG_3087-1.jpg

Last Sunday I switched to reserve at 93.6 miles with my stock tank. With 30 miles on the tank I realized it was going to be a "sqeaker" so I kept the front wheel on the ground and took it easy the rest of the way back. It was a 150 mile day total.

IMG_3087-1.jpg

Wow, that sounds pretty good! Just to clarify, are you measuring distance using the stock odo, or GPS device?

Wow, that sounds pretty good! Just to clarify, are you measuring distance using the stock odo, or GPS device?

I use a Vapor. It measures within a few tenths of a GPS at 50mph on pavement.

A lot my mileage could be from owning sportbikes for the last 13 years. A GSX-R 1000 really enforces the idea of rolling on the throttle.

What # is your Vapor set at as far as wheel diameter? I've used my mechanical odometer (which is fairly accurate) and I'd be really suprised to see that kind of mileage.. I'm not saying it can't happen, but if I were a betting man (and I am!) I'd bet that your vapor setting is off. I get the same results with my Endurance computer, which I know is calibrated to the correct #. I'm very smooth with my throttle, too, but I think other things would make a bigger difference on mileage (such as the firmness of the soil, elevation changes, gearing, and especially jetting).

Your getting the right answers I see....

90 miles is my 3.2G pre-running distance (in mostly non-sandy conditions), however I carry a gallon in a pack and can make 125 miles. Anything further is just pushing it.

I've heard of guys making outrageous miles on a 450X tank... I'll believe it when I see it (rider speed, terrain, etc etc all play part in this)

I've not used my 4G tank yet... but will, this next month, should be interesting.

What do you put the gas in? I need to get something to put gas in for my daughters bike. Right now I have a few MSR bottles, but I'm thinking about getting a few platypus bottles.

IMG_3087-1.jpg

Man you need to get on the gas more. I have never heard of someone getting that kind of miles out of a stock tank. I hit reserve about 60 miles out.

What # is your Vapor set at as far as wheel diameter?

I’m at work so I can’t tell you the exact setting that is on my computer but I set it just like I do my cycling computers. I mark on the driveway where the valve stem is on the ground. Push the bike one revolution with my wife on it to get a tire compressed circumference. Measure the length and punch it in to the computer. Besides…I double checked it with my Garmin Zumo off of my GS.

The majority of the terrain is second through forth gear rocks, loose rocks and soil as hard as concrete.

When you weigh half as much as most riders, you only need about half as much throttle for the same result.

When I rode my DRZ to the Baja 500 this year I was still getting 45m.p.g. in the silt. It’s just a body weight thing.

I’m at work so I can’t tell you the exact setting that is on my computer but I set it just like I do my cycling computers. I mark on the driveway where the valve stem is on the ground. Push the bike one revolution with my wife on it to get a tire compressed circumference. Measure the length and punch it in to the computer. Besides…I double checked it with my Garmin Zumo off of my GS.

The majority of the terrain is second through forth gear rocks, loose rocks and soil as hard as concrete.

When you weigh half as much as most riders, you only need about half as much throttle for the same result.

When I rode my DRZ to the Baja 500 this year I was still getting 45m.p.g. in the silt. It’s just a body weight thing.

OK he's calling us fat now. :lol: He doesn't even know us. :p OK, the truth comes out. Old-Man is fat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh come on! I get half the distance on a gallon because I weigh twice as much as dandm95? Next thing you'll be telling me the sky is blue....Yeah right! I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday ya know.....