Need help on advice!!! **1993 XR600 info**

Hi All I'm a noob to this site and have a few questions for you all. I have a 93 XR600 and am going to make it a dual purpose, I've read allot about Baja Designs kits and it seems the best ALL-in-One way to go. Is there a cheaper route to take? I live in Illinois so yes a speedo and horn, one mirror etc. are needed. And an other question is the bike has the plastic tank and about half way up on the left side there is a small hole, has anyone had any luck with any plastic bonding agent that will hold, and stay bonded with gas exposed to it or do you have a tank for sale? Also what year tanks will fit the 93 XR with no problems at all, allowing for dipstick clearance etc. Thanks in advance..

WOW...no info...

Sometimes the answers trickle in slowly, don't get discouraged.

I've never had to repair a damaged plastic tank, so I don't have any proven advice on a surefire fix. You might want to check with your local shop that does a lot of sport bike platic repair. I know that there are people that do ABS welding to repair broken fairings and body panels when the average squid tosses his brand new R6 or GSXR the first time a curve pops up in the road. The shop might be able to recommend someone.

I have an XR600R also, but I never dual-sported it, so once again, no real advice from me on this one either.

Someone will probobly chime in with some better info, give it some time.

Welcome aboard!

Sometimes the answers trickle in slowly, don't get discouraged.

I've never had to repair a damaged plastic tank, so I don't have any proven advice on a surefire fix. You might want to check with your local shop that does a lot of sport bike platic repair. I know that there are people that do ABS welding to repair broken fairings and body panels when the average squid tosses his brand new R6 or GSXR the first time a curve pops up in the road. The shop might be able to recommend someone.

I have an XR600R also, but I never dual-sported it, so once again, no real advice from me on this one either.

Someone will probobly chime in with some better info, give it some time.

Welcome aboard!

Great...Thanks for your response Sorry if I seemed alittle rude I just pulled the full sized graphic's off both sides (going with a diff style) of the tank and discovered the poorly repaired hole (must have fallen over and punctured)that was leaking a slight bit which I wasn't told about and I've only owned the bike a few months and getting ready for a winter tear down. I picked it up for $500 so I have some room...

I just "dual-sported" my XR600, right now its kind of legal. Will be going to full legal, blinkers and everything as a winter project. Does your state require you to have turn signals? Do you have to be able to turn your headlight on without you bike running? Do you need a speedo? Do you plan on ridding at night? No, run your stock light. Yes, get a Baja Designs light. Fairly cheap and work great. I went with the Baja Designs LED taillight, works well and it doesn't take much power to run it. Get a brake light banjo switch, your honda dealer should have some, if not look online. You can run just one to save some money. I got folding off-road mirror for less than 20 bucks at my dealer. I got my horn for about 10-20 bucks. I later found out it runs off DC, but it will still honk. Really weak. But the cop still signed off on it. Some states like you to be able to have a high and low beam. So get a switch. I'm running a Trail Tech Three Position Switch(for now), If not just get another kill switch and run that as your horn button. You can get some that run off a 9v battery, just do some searching on TT or google. I ran with a BD speedo, if you ride during the day time, it works great. At night it sucks. Will be putting a Trail Tech Vapor on. And last go down to your local auto parts store buy some wire(get red and black, its keeps things simple) some crimp connectors, crimpers/wire strippers, and some electric tape(or heat shrink for better seal) and start wiring. If you need to break the wiring into segments. Horn...Brake Light... and so on.

If you have anymore questions post away, or PM me.

You can DIY kits here www.procycle.us Visit the Baja Designs website, they have wiring diagrams.

I have attempted to repair cracked/holed tanks several times, all failures. I even had a pro plastic welder repair a crack once, recracked after a few weeks.