Sign in to follow this  

05 450R leaking coolant

my 05 is leaking coolant at the water pump. It's not coming from the gasket between the case and the pump but from the little hole that is in the bottom of the pump cover. does anyone know what that means? bad pump? replace the impellar? it's dripping at a decent pace...not shooting out but about a drip every 5 seconds.

I didn't search the forums since i am in kinda a hurry....sorry.

Thanks!

my 05 is leaking coolant at the water pump. It's not coming from the gasket between the case and the pump but from the little hole that is in the bottom of the pump cover. does anyone know what that means? bad pump? replace the impellar? it's dripping at a decent pace...not shooting out but about a drip every 5 seconds.

I didn't search the forums since i am in kinda a hurry....sorry.

Thanks!

Means the seals are shot at least. Might be able to get by without replacing the impellar but for as little as they cost you might as well replace it all. Don't forget to get a new gasket. :lol:

so my next question is there a kit i can but that will come with the impeller...seals and gasket? is it hard to replace?

thanks!

Not aware of a kit, but it's pretty easy to do. Just have drain the coolant and tranny oil remove the right side case/clutch cover and water pump cover. Check the shaft for freeplay. Replace bearing and or shaft if necessary. Remove the impeller and the shaft slides out through the bearing and seals. Take note of how the seals are arranged before removing them. Remove exposed seal. To make it easier, put the cover in an oven at about 200F and heat it up, then drive the bearing and out with appropriate sized socket. It shouldn't take much with the cover heated. Remove other seal and reverse operation to re-assemble.

You may want to put an '06 impeller in there if it needs replacing. It is a little different design as is supposed to help extend seal life. I believe you can drill a hole in the '05 and achieve the same results. You may search the forum for tips on this mod.

great....i just changed the tranny oil!!! Figures...new oil in and now i gotta drain it! Thanks for all the help. Looks like i know what i will be doing this weekend! My hot start cable locked up on me twords the end of the season last year and i stripped out the threads to the oil filter cover. I borrowed a buddys 450 so i could finish the rest of the rides. My bike sat till just now when i finally got around to fixing the stripped bolt and putting a new motion pro cable on. I filled up the tranny and the oil last night and started the bike...4th kick!! Now it's leaking coolant so that tranny oil has to be drained!!! arg!!!:lol:

great....i just changed the tranny oil!!! Figures...new oil in and now i gotta drain it! Thanks for all the help. Looks like i know what i will be doing this weekend! My hot start cable locked up on me twords the end of the season last year and i stripped out the threads to the oil filter cover. I borrowed a buddys 450 so i could finish the rest of the rides. My bike sat till just now when i finally got around to fixing the stripped bolt and putting a new motion pro cable on. I filled up the tranny and the oil last night and started the bike...4th kick!! Now it's leaking coolant so that tranny oil has to be drained!!! arg!!!:lol:

If it makes ya feel any better the last time I did this I had one ride on my tranny oil too :p Altho I usually change it every 3rd ride anyway.

Like Scott said tho it is pretty easy but do make sure you pay attn to which way the seals come out.

Replace the bearings and seals at a minimum...Pay attention as the seals as they are directional. If the shaft has grooves, then it needs to be replaced, also.

If it makes ya feel any better the last time I did this I had one ride on my tranny oil too :lol: Altho I usually change it every 3rd ride anyway.

Like Scott said tho it is pretty easy but do make sure you pay attn to which way the seals come out.

I usually do every other ride...but this time it has 0 rides on it! oh well...maybe i will put in the new clutch while i am there.

Don't worry you're not alone on this one...just changed my oil last night, and my 04 is pukin water!!!

Make sure you drain water well, lie the bike on its left side, no need to drain the oil.

Be careful not to spill the few drops of water left in your rhs casing into the oil.

Means the seals are shot at least. Might be able to get by without replacing the impellar but for as little as they cost you might as well replace it all. Don't forget to get a new gasket. :)

why would you need to replace the impellar? i'm replacing my water seal tomorrow and i want to make sure everything is good in there

Hi guys, if any of you would like a step by step guide how to do this, along with the balancer shaft that drives the water pump just send me your email address and Ill mail it direct. If your balancer shaft bearing has gone it wont matter how many seals and bearings you put in your waterpump it will still leak.