crf250r vs. 06 yz 125

I found a guy who has an 06 mint crf250r for $3000 and a another guy who has an 06 mint yz125 for 3000, Im a novice c class rider, i ride mostly tracks but occasionally i ride offroad what do ya guys think??? Thanks alot!

i seen this in the yz forum also, I am a 30+ vet rider. I own both bikes my CRF is a full built ron hamp bike, the YZ lives in various states of tune depending on my mood. If i was going riding for the weekend and i could only take one bike i would take the YZ it is more fun to ride, lighter, easier to start. and it sounds better. I only ride for fun these days, not much racing.

$3000 for a 06 125 is WAAAAAYYYYY too high. It doesn't matter how good of condition it is in thats too much.

$3000 for a 06 125 is WAAAAAYYYYY too high. It doesn't matter how good of condition it is in thats too much.

Whats a good price for it?

What year is the CRF? My friend is selling his '06 yz 125 and it was just fully rebuilt and has new bearings for $1,800.

What year is the CRF? My friend is selling his '06 yz 125 and it was just fully rebuilt and has new bearings for $1,800.

That's a good price. Nothing over around $2200

What do you guys think of them performance wise?

For a novice rider the 250F is superior. I have an RM144 nad a 250F. The RM jumps, corners and out accelerates the 250F by a good bit. Frankly it is a better bike but it is a hand full to ride fast. The 250F is very forgiving and makes it easier to ride fast on. Is is not as fun but I suspect I am faster in terms of lap time on the F though.

Power is close on both in terms of peak power, but the 250F has a broader power curve and the 4 stroke delivery means the tire has time to hook up. It feels like traction control coming from the 2 stroke world.

Maintenance sucks though. If I had time and was young I'd just learn to ride the 2 strokes faster and forget all the maintenance. Local pros out here on 125's blow past intermediate 450 riders.

Good luck!

souns like u need fast int. riders that would never happen here

souns like u need fast int. riders that would never happen here

it happens everywhere...faster rider is faster rider, bike no matter at all.

Bubba won the outdoor title on a 125....

I personally raced one for two years after coming off some serious injuries and time off the bike from an F.

I routinely beat 450 riders on it of the same class (:lol:....and Im nothing special. Power means nothing when you corner faster and brake later, just this weekend a kid on 125 absolutely decimated the schoolboy field and did it coming from worse than 15th place off his start....the schoolboy class was awefully fast too, that kid who won it is a loretta's rider's rider, not bike.

bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats why there are no 125s in the top 10 at any national and why even the 250 2 strokes arnt doing well against the 250f. the 4 strokes have more usable power all around . there is no way a 125 can keep up with a 450 with riders the same skill!!!!!!!!!!!

he didn't say they were the same skill did he?

Expert vs intermediate I recall.

I also know for a fact that lap times for the same exact rider on a 250f and 450f are never much different. Considering the 450 has for arguments sake twice the power, it should be much faster, right?

I stand by my statement, it's all rider.

I bet if you put the top twenty outdoor national pros on a 250 two stroke and ran them against he 450s....nothing much would change. It's sad really how biased you are, how about you go build a 60hp 450 and tell me how much better you do at your races. It wont make any difference, the people who beat you now will beat you still.

Talk to some of the pro's when the four stroke first hit, many didn't want to switch, but manufacturers made them. Now the four stroke is a superior race bike for sure...but is it truly better for the masses?

I think you said you were pro. How much does your race bike cost you? If you run stock bikes, would you run the same bike two years, or is it too costly from rebuilds? Would you buy your used bike? These are rhetorical questions, the answer to most of which is no. Two stroke full mod motors cost no more than a grand, after a pipe and silencer. Do that on your fourstroke.

The two stroke has been phased out by media, marketing, and the factories, it costs them too much to make two bikes for the same class. They are happy because they sell more parts now that are marked up high. The aftermarket is happy to charge you 500 dollars for a port job. Pro circuit is happy to charge you 3g's for a "full race package".

If you asked reed to ride a 250 two stroke that is modded up, or a 250 four stroke that is modded up for outdoors, what would he choose?

Ask yourself how the canadian "champ" can still be competitive on a two stroke 250 against 450s. He even said in an interview very recently outdoors he is faster on one due to seat time....

if its all the bike, how is that possible?

So back on point, I have witnessed, have done, and know for certain that a pro on a 125 can easily handle an intermediate on a 450.

Enjoy your fourstroke....Im sure the only reason your faster than me is because I am on a two stroke, it's not skill, or talent, or anything like that.

And useable power....I holeshot three of four moto's this weekend on my 250 two stroke, bone stock, 2005 clapped out bike. It was against the pro class, 450s in the mix. Call it fluke if you want, but 75% is pretty good in my book. It's a long, deep sandy start...shouldn't useable hp be important? Video proof is in the yamaha two stroke forum.

I am ranting, but oh well, everyone scald me swearing their four stroke is better. I'll be the guy who helps you push your bike back to the truck after you eat a valve, screw the piston, and destroy the crank.

sorry, you guys can talk about this but any more opinions on these two bikes. Your saying its not the bike its the rider. i get it but theres two bikes, and i want to choose one of them, sooo......

the 2 stroke is more fun but you will ride the f faster, imo.

Even if you pick the yz125, 3000 is about a 1000 too high. However, I would strongly recommend the CRF250R. Your skill level is not changing based on the bike and the CRF250 is easier for a novice c class rider to learn on. I have rode both and I too am a c class and there is NO chance I would be better on the yz125. The yz125 has to be pushed hard all the time for max performance and that is not easy for a novice rider. Get the CRF250R and you will be a lot happier over the next few years as it will do better for you as you may grow out of the yz125. That would be the same even if the Honda was the 125 and the 250F was a yamaha. Buy the 250F! 3000 for that 125, it's not worth it for you.

I do think it would teach you to be a better rider over the long haul....if you raced it hard and got better and better and better, if you then switched to an F you would feel in better shape, have better corner speed, and most likely go faster from exit speeds etc...

but at that price the F could certainly be a better deal. Just hope it doesn't need real way to tell on that.

too much money for an 06' 125. Go with the F all the way.

tell you what i owned an 05yz125 bone stock and a crf250 modded out and i had way more fun on the 125 sold it because i thought i would do better on a 4 stroke well i still place the same so now i only ride my crf for racing and i had to go back and buy an old clapped out 125 to practice on because its 10x the fun and thats what its supposed to be about right :lol:

yeah fun!!! i like the the sound of a 125 from what im hearing and after seeing moto usa's vid on it i want it even more!

tell you what i owned an 05yz125 bone stock and a crf250 modded out and i had way more fun on the 125 sold it because i thought i would do better on a 4 stroke well i still place the same so now i only ride my crf for racing and i had to go back and buy an old clapped out 125 to practice on because its 10x the fun and thats what its supposed to be about right :lol:

mmmmm, i would rather sacrafice a little bit of fun to win...but thats just me, i love wining:thumbsup: