Flywheel weight

Hi all,

I love tinkering with my WR 250F--I ride in Maine where there are some nice open areas mixed with a fair amount of technical stuff-rock climbs, mud, tight areas. I've made a bunch of mods which have helped--steering damper, air cells, new tires, G2 throttle cam (woods) and will try a 12 tooth front sprocket. I am looking for more tractable power for those technical areas so I wondered about a flywheel weight. I'm sure I'd lose some quickness--but I am a 50 year old who has been riding for 2 years so the top end is not so important. I went to Sthealy (sp) off road and they do not carry one for the wr---any other sources? Like I said I like to tinker---also open for other suggestions--all the best, Brian

Trail tech,Steahly. But doesn't a wr already have a pretty heavy flywheel?

I have never seen a heavier flywheel for a WR250F. Give SteahlyOffroad a call. They have great support and be glad to help you if they can.

If you are looking for and easier way to handle the tight single tracks, you should take a look at a Rekluse Auto Clutch. I had one on my YZ426 and they are simply the best mod for single track ever.

+1 for what Dano said.

WR's already have a heavy flywheel/stator so I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any aftermarket flywheel weights.

While more expensive than a flywheel weight, the Rekluse is the best single mod I've ever done. It is awesome in technical stuff.

Also consider a big bore. It will give you a lot more torque, so you can use it for the low-end tractability. A 290 kit and Rekluse made my bike AWESOME for rock climbing (no rocks in Florida, but I've taken it out to Moab Utah the last 3 years and it is perfect for climbing rocks)

Thanks for the replies---I've been looking at the recluse clutch---can either of you guys elaborate on the function---I understand that it engagas when you accelerate and releases when you decelerate--I would guess that this makes stalling less of an issue--How do you shift? Do you just move the gear lever or or is there a 'pull' and 'release' that is necessary like a regular clutch. I like the idea of shifting--and it sounds like the recluse gives you the ideal 'feathering' action. Maybe the best of both worlds---Again I would love to hear more 'details' Thanks again Brian

You shift as normal but you don't have a clutch to worry about anymore. Do a search on this site, there are plenty of posts about it. :lol:

Have you ever ridden a quad with an auto clutch? Same thing. It's centrifugal so that when you rev the motor, it engages. So you let off to shift, then get back on the throttle. You still shift the same way but you don't need to pull in the clutch.

Lots of guys love the rekluse. I'm a believer that you can do better with your index finger, manually slipping the clutch. Doing it yourself gives you the pop option for a quick burst of power to lift the front end. Sometimes you are crawling through some boulders and come to a log or big rock where you need to get the front end over it with no warning. That's when manually dropping the clutch will get you out of a jam. Otherwise, you need to depend on the motor rpm's to engage the clutch.

It takes more conditioning but you will ultimately have more control, even in the tightest technical situations. If you'd rather an automatic trasmission instead of a manual clutch in your car, then you'll probably like the rekluse. Or if you don't get the chance to ride as often as you'd like, the rekluse will allow your hands to not need as much conditioning.

I ride with a guy who is the Area A class champion for 08, who used to use a rekluse. He's one of the best technical riders I know. I used to tease him about the rekluse being his training wheels. He has since removed and sold the rekluse and says he'd done with it.

The wr comes with a 13-52 combo. I just got a 53 tooth sprocket, as i race in new england also. Try it out. I like it. Use less clutch!

kerob, post above describe it well. Simplest way to think of it as the torque converter in a car's auto tranny (not the automatic part, you still shift like a manual tranny). W hen you come to a stop the engine automatically disengares. When you give it gas the engine automatically engages to the tranny. you still shift, but you effectively can't stall.

Thanks for the replies--BK

I have 2003 YZ250F, I've pushed the bike to be more like a WR. 10oz trailtech flywheel, 12/49 gearing. I'm 55 and wanted to be able to handle tight single track. The top end is still close to 70mph yet It's almost walking speed at low rpm in 1st.

I'm thinking of a trials tire for the bike, some of the ride reports by riders who are using them are pretty interesting.