How do i sell a KX 250???

I've been trying to sell my 05 kx 250(new in 07) for a few months and nobody will even come look at it. Its been ridden maybe 5 times and looks new and my price is 3200. Is it too high for a practically new bike? what are some good places to advertise? do you have any friends who want one?

im a deal shopper, big consumer actually. Im looking for an 05,06,07 kx 250 but will not spend over 2500. Two in my area that are 06 with factory connection and mods. Bit high but if you stick with it then maybe..

yes, for a 05, 3000 is a bit high, try 2500

Yeah,I sold my 05 KX 250 3 months ago for $2500

It was in excellent condition with a bunch of extras and mods

2 strokes arent very popular anymore. nobody wants them because of the new "4 stroke power" i personally love 2 strokes.

i even had a kx250f. sold that thing in 3 months and 45 hours of riding.

but anyways. most people ride 4 strokes now cause theyre "easier to ride."

whats the fun in that!?:p:lol:

so all in all. 2 strokes are alot harder to sell. therefore you must sell them alot cheaper.

YAY for 2 stroke buyers! :lol:

2 strokes arent very popular anymore. nobody wants them because of the new "4 stroke power" i personally love 2 strokes.

i even had a kx250f. sold that thing in 3 months and 45 hours of riding.

but anyways. most people ride 4 strokes now cause theyre "easier to ride."

whats the fun in that!?:p:lol:

so all in all. 2 strokes are alot harder to sell. therefore you must sell them alot cheaper.

YAY for 2 stroke buyers! :lol:

YAY indeed brother!

if your tired of trying to sell the bike whole you could part it out on fleabay. i know a lot of guys who go that route, it takes a while longer but they usuallly make more money in the long run.

In all honesty the only way i would purchase your bike without any upgrades (although it does have less wear) is if i saw it online for 2200 or less.

If you look at Kelley Blue Book www.kbb.com, take the retail value and add it to the trade in value and divide by 2. That's usually what most sellers and buyers that aren't affiliated with motorcycle shops do.

So yours is $2,100 trade-in plus $3,095 / 2 = about $2,600. I used the Lafayette, LA zip code on the KBB site because I'm originally from Lafayette. With all the oil biz down there, you'd think there is a lot of money to be spent. Do you ride Forest Hills?

Karl

the economy is an issue too dude. no body is splurging on luxury items.

It's a touch high-priced, but not too bad. It only has 5 rides on it. I would rather have one in stock condition than one with suspension revalved for someone else, done by someone other than myself.

One issue is that people who race are almost always wanting to buy a four-stroke. Your Joe Blow consumer wanting a bike to cruise around on usually does not want to pay for a near new bike when they can putt around on a cheaper bike for less.

Another issue is that the 2009 models are now hitting the sales floor, making your bike a four year old model.

Another issue is that not many people have $3,200 lying around to buy a used bike. I sure didn't, and that is why I bought a new one with factory financing.

I have a 2005 that I bought new roughly 1.5 years ago. It makes me cringe to know what I would have to sell it at, to make a sale.

Keep trying to find that one guy who doesn't mind paying extra for a low mileage bike.

Have you tried eBay? Yes, they will charge you $100 to sell it on there, but it may be worth it.

It's a touch high-priced, but not too bad. It only has 5 rides on it. I would rather have one in stock condition than one with suspension revalved for someone else, done by someone other than myself.

One issue is that people who race are almost always wanting to buy a four-stroke. Your Joe Blow consumer wanting a bike to cruise around on usually does not want to pay for a near new bike when they can putt around on a cheaper bike for less.

Another issue is that the 2009 models are now hitting the sales floor, making your bike a four year old model.

Another issue is that not many people have $3,200 lying around to buy a used bike. I sure didn't, and that is why I bought a new one with factory financing.

I have a 2005 that I bought new roughly 1.5 years ago. It makes me cringe to know what I would have to sell it at, to make a sale.

Keep trying to find that one guy who doesn't mind paying extra for a low mileage bike.

Have you tried eBay? Yes, they will charge you $100 to sell it on there, but it may be worth it.

Excellent post J.

All I can add is: I've been looking at KX450's and decided NOT to sell any of my bikes. I have too much time and money into them that I would just be giving them away.

You could bring it to your local MX track and put a for sale sign on it. I see alot of bikes for sale like that. If it has the low hours like you say it will draw some interest just from the looks of it.

Why are you selling it anyway?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is only a remote chance that your bike will sell for over $2,500. I know, it's a sickening feeling. I also know how hard it is to sell a bike in Louisiana! Been there, done that. Hope I don't have to do it again for a long time.

If it were me, I would list it for $2,000 "firm." If not, keep it and mod it to the moon.

I just got a new 07 for $4500, and I'm in an area where dealers generally don't give good deals, so it's probably available cheaper somewhere else. That devalues your bike.

OTOH, if you were an easy drive from me, I would probably make you an offer on your bike. compared to a new ktm 2stroke, or any new 4stroke, a late-model kx250 is a real value, esp for offroad racing.

thanks for all your replies. im selling it bc i cant afford to ride... maybe thats y nobody will buy it too. I guess il have to take a big loss on it. I just figured maybe since you cant get a new one here and its probably the newest kx 250 in LA there would be more demand for it, especially with the new rule that you can race it with the 250f's.

p.s. 4 strokes are gay

I've been trying to sell my 05 kx 250(new in 07) for a few months and nobody will even come look at it. Its been ridden maybe 5 times and looks new and my price is 3200. Is it too high for a practically new bike? what are some good places to advertise? do you have any friends who want one?

The problem is not only is money tight for a lot of people right now; but 4strokes are all the rage now. Selling a 2stroke is tough, great market for buyers though.

If you wanna get the Most $$$$ for that bike, part it out on eBay. Sell everything piece by piece; it'll be a ROYAL PITA but you'll likely get what ya want for the bike in the end. Some guy needs a wheel, some guy needs a low hr motor etc etc just not many people want a complete 2 smoker.

I shoulda parted my bike when I blew it up; but instead I spent $$$$ building a motor, and suspension. I could have a nice KTM for what I got into my damn KX.

thanks for all your replies. im selling it bc i cant afford to ride... maybe thats y nobody will buy it too. I guess il have to take a big loss on it. I just figured maybe since you cant get a new one here and its probably the newest kx 250 in LA there would be more demand for it, especially with the new rule that you can race it with the 250f's.

p.s. 4 strokes are gay

I live in Louisiana and encounter quite a few mx'ers at my local track and at races. Pm some info and pics of the bike, and I will try to help you sell it.

Craigslist is a good place to sell your bike.

I just got a new 07 for $4500, and I'm in an area where dealers generally don't give good deals, so it's probably available cheaper somewhere else. That devalues your bike.

OTOH, if you were an easy drive from me, I would probably make you an offer on your bike. compared to a new ktm 2stroke, or any new 4stroke, a late-model kx250 is a real value, esp for offroad racing.

Congratulations Llamaface. I thought you were consdering a YZ though? Must've found a good deal on that KX.:lol:

I bought my 2007 YZ250 last June for $3,700. It was low hour, plated, Rekluse Pro auto clutch, FMF TC2, and a Pro Taper Accutrax upper triple clamp. That was a good deal to me then. I bet I couldn't sell now for even $3,250 because the economy is so messed up.

I was reading all the replys to this thread. 3200 for a bike with 5 rides on it, and stock sounds reasonable to me. With what new ones cost. But unfortunately...........most people nowadays want a 4 stroke. Guess I am one of the last few that plans on riding a 2 stroke to my grave. If the epa or whoever deems we don't need 2 strokes will let me. I have had my kx 500 for year, and gave 1900 for it. Personally I thought it was a deal, but there aren't may 500's out there, and not many in the shape mine is. Wish I could help you with the 250. My advice would be to wait it out a bit longer. I don't care what the blue book or most people say. I think 3200 for that bike.....sounds reasonable. Also easy for me to say........I am not the one selling or buying. Good luck............

Do u still have the bike,