Sign in to follow this  

Ran across "factory" suspension today

So, long story short, my roomate's 2003 cr125 has showa forks and shock on it.

(it's not truly factory....though by 2003 standards it might be...)

So what you state. That's what we thought, and he has always loved that particular suspension, often swapping it out with his 05 cr250f.

But today, he wanted to know what was in it, so I tore it down, then tried to look up stock stacks for a 2003 cr125.

Turns out they come with kyb......

Then it became clear, the bike has really trick triple clamps etc... he bought it from a former outdoor national women pro, and I realized, oh crap, they swapped its kyb for showa.

I'd like to know what bike it came off of, but as it stands, the base valve looks like this

30.11 x 15

17.11 clamp

Bleed stack

16.11 x 10

Mid is untouched from whatever it came off, I am going to dig into it tomorrow but I would guess 3 20's and 17 clamps.

He had his arm twisted into selling it, but at this point, he is wanting to keep the bike....he loves it minus the motor...but I told him with the new rules....he could make it competetive, and he could never buy showa forks and shock for that bike at a cost reasonable....so he wants to keep it.

Does anyone know the bleed stack that came on that year honda showa forks?

It's not 03 or 04 according to what I find. Does it have a chrome plated damper rod or it is the more recent plating on it, 02 and up if I'm right...

what size are the outer tubes? upper and lower out of interest?

what size are the outer tubes? upper and lower out of interest?

Ah..... Did the 49's run the big pistons ?

i think they did go over to the big pistons at some stage, if they are bigger than 49mm we know they are true factory forks, the ktms are running a massive 51mm i believe.

It's not true factory...but certainly for the time....He bought it in 2003, and has made no changes to the bike.

The damper rod is that kashima coating.

33mm base piston, 23mm mid, 47 inner tubes, just like currrent stuff.

But as stated, he bought it late 03 season, I don't think these forks were around then....

It's not true factory...but certainly for the time....He bought it in 2003, and has made no changes to the bike.

The damper rod is that kashima coating.

33mm base piston, 23mm mid, 47 inner tubes, just like currrent stuff.

But as stated, he bought it late 03 season, I don't think these forks were around then....

Just the old discontinued Showa "B" kit stuff. Nothing really special...just some coatings that weren't on regular Showa suspension. Kashima, TiN...stuff like that.

the base pistons were not that size in 03 I don't think....

Either way, he got a steal on the bike....bought it with a ton of sweet mods for 3g's back in august of 03. back then two strokes were still alive and kicking, just the swap the suspension out to what this has with triple clamps and forks etc... would cost more than the bike is worth, so it's neat.

he didn't even know it didn't come with that!

03 crf did have the big pistons.

what you have is the B kit from 2003, it is neat still yes, just good to know what we are discussing :lol:

Just the old discontinued Showa "B" kit stuff. Nothing really special...just some coatings that weren't on regular Showa suspension. Kashima, TiN...stuff like that.

See my above post...

Does anyone know the bleed stack that came on that year honda showa forks?
My stock '03 CR250 Showa forks didn't even have provisions for a bleed stack - no bleed ports at all. I think the bleed stack was introduced on stock Honda Showas in '04.

The b-kit forks are usually 1 yr ahead of production forks.

So whatever is done for the '04 forks, then that's what the '03 b-kits will be.

Also, b-kit forks don't have peened threads on the shafts that requires grinding off piror to R&R shims. And if you look carefully at the surface finish on all the b-kit parts, you'll also see that the surface finishes are cut much smoother on the lathe than on production parts. This is in addition to the Kashima coatings.

The b-kit forks are usually 1 yr ahead of production forks.

So whatever is done for the '04 forks, then that's what the '03 b-kits will be.

Also, b-kit forks don't have peened threads on the shafts that requires grinding off piror to R&R shims. And if you look carefully at the surface finish on all the b-kit parts, you'll also see that the surface finishes are cut much smoother on the lathe than on production parts. This is in addition to the Kashima coatings.

Wrong. Showa doesn't even make "B" kits anymore. They were NOT one year ahead of the production forks. Not even close. But yes the thread were not peened because the forks were produced TO BE worked on and re-shimed.

but did they not make a B kit in 2003? i am sure i saw them advertised at K tech here in the UK?

Wrong. Showa doesn't even make "B" kits anymore. They were NOT one year ahead of the production forks. Not even close. But yes the thread were not peened because the forks were produced TO BE worked on and re-shimed.

no one's saying that b-kits are currently in production.

And if they were, that issue you're trying to float is MOOT - We're in discussion right now about the '03/04 kit forks.

And I know personally that the B-kit forks are 1 yr ahead of production. I have a set, and through inspection and comparison, I KNOW that they're 1 yr ahead of production stuff, maybe even more.

So it'd be great if you can present further evidence on your behalf to support your accusations.

Okay my bad:( Yes there were "B" kit still around in 03/04. But how do you come to the conclusion that they were "one year" ahead? The mechanical and fluid dynamic engineering are the exact same as production forks (in that date range). Just because the "B" kits had different shim stacks and some unique coatings, DOES NOT make them "PRE-PRO'S."

maybe due to the bleed stack that wasnt about in 2003, but was on the B kit, and on the 2004s?