Milky/Foamy Oil...

'91 DR350s, drove it home from a friends house and went to check the oil. shut it off and pulled out the dipstick and it looked normal but was coated in oil. cleaned the dipstick and put it back in then looked at it again. there wasn't really anything on it but i noticed some frothed up, milky looking oil (just a few drops) looked into the frame hole and there was a lot of this stuff near the top (threads for the cap) and lots on the top of the dipstick. chances of it being water in the oil are slim to none... do you think the oil level got so low that the oil foamed up? gas in the oil somehow? i can't seem to get the hang of checking the oil with this thing and every time i try it tells me something different so i'm going to change it tomorrow and investigate the issue, just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experience?

thanks

Usually milky oil is a sign of water in the oil seems pretty tough to do on an air-cooled engine. Although I know my newer chevy truck had some milky residue on the cap I freaked and went to the shop and they told me it is common when a vehicle is driven many short distances without coming to temp all the time. I only have 40 miles of road on the island I live on so I guess thats possible.

I would change the oil and just take a real good look.

Sounds like water in the oil to me. Could be condensation or from a deep creek crossing or sitting out in the rain.

the bike sits outside all the time but i always cover it with a tarp. it has blown off before but how would the water get inside? condensation? what about washing it with the hose? any chance of water there? pretty much all the miles i've put on the bike have been on-road....

Thanks

foamy oil is definitely a sign of water in the oil. Seems pretty difficult to get water in the oil just by washing with a hose so thats unlikely. My guess might be what someone else suggested...many short trips without a full warm up that would allow water to accumulate in the oil without burning off.

As everyone else has said, it'll be water in the oil. If the level was as low as you suggest then it's entirely possible that it's caused purely by short rides building condensation in the oil. As you're changing it anyway then just give it a few days & see what the new looks like.

By the way, unless it's an oil-in-frame bike (checked with engine hot & running I believe?) then always check the oil cold, before you start it for the first time. That way the oil has a chance to settle overnight & drain back from the top-end & avoids overfilling due to misreading.

By the way, unless it's an oil-in-frame bike (checked with engine hot & running I believe?) then always check the oil cold, before you start it for the first time. That way the oil has a chance to settle overnight & drain back from the top-end & avoids overfilling due to misreading.

DR350s are dry sump. They do carry the oil in the frame.

From my experience, it might be gas in the oil or water. Smell it and if it smells like fuel, that is the most likely culprit. I had a car with a bad fuel pump diaphragm leak into the oil and that was the same result.

changed the oil this afternoon and it looked alright but it seemed pretty thin and pretty dark. plus, the previous owner let it run a quart low:banghead: seems to be fine now, shifts much, much smoother. i also went with 5w30(yammalube from the stealership... 5.99/ Quart!) since it's getting a bit chilly up here. i guess i'm just not going to worry about it. i didn't see ANY metal flakes in the oil that came out and there was no milky stuff so hopefully it's just condensation, it's been very damp up here lately and i never noticed it before. how concerned should i be that it was a quart low? and do most of you clean the screen in the fame line or not?

Thanks

DR350s are dry sump. They do carry the oil in the frame.

Oh, scratch what I said about wet-sump level checking then! :lol: Did I get it right on the OIF level-check drill?

checked it tonight and found the same milky junk. it definitely has small water drops on the dipstick. i'm guessing it's from condensation and the short trips ( <1mi in near freezing temps). should i be worried about this condensation/ water freezing and clogging an oil line or the pump and burning up my engine?

Thanks

Just get out and take it for a long hard ride. Get the oil good and hot and the moisture will evaporate off.