Sign in to follow this  

09 450 internal oil leak

While changing my oil after break-in I discovered that the engine side only had ~250ml of oil! The tranny side had about 1000ml. I figured the guy at the shop may not have been paying attention, but shame on me for not checking before break-in. Or it could be an internal oil leak...

To be sure, I filled it back up with 600ml on both sides and ran it up and down the street a few times. Drained both sides and the engine only had 500ml with 700ml on the tranny side. So in that short amount of time 100ml leaked from one side to the other.

Can anyone help me with what seals need to be replaced (part numbers)? Where can I get parts for the 09?

While changing my oil after break-in I discovered that the engine side only had ~250ml of oil! The tranny side had about 1000ml. I figured the guy at the shop may not have been paying attention, but shame on me for not checking before break-in. Or it could be an internal oil leak...

To be sure, I filled it back up with 600ml on both sides and ran it up and down the street a few times. Drained both sides and the engine only had 500ml with 700ml on the tranny side. So in that short amount of time 100ml leaked from one side to the other.

Can anyone help me with what seals need to be replaced (part numbers)? Where can I get parts for the 09?

you might want to check to see if the breather tube is bent or kinked off somewhere?

you might want to check to see if the breather tube is bent or kinked off somewhere?

Already checked. Looks OK.

www.yamahaoftroy.com

has the '09 fiche already online

here are the crank seal part numbers

OIL SEAL (38X52X7)

91201-MEB-671 001 $7.74

OIL SEAL (39X56X7.5)

91202-MEY-671 001 $8.10

SM:ride:

Damn. Looks like the crankcase gaskets aren't available yet. These are made out of paper right? No chance of re-using them I bet.

I'll get my dealer on the horn in the morning. :lol:

Someone else who maybe has done this can chime in here..

can't the crankseals be swapped without splitting the cases?

SM:ride:

yes the can, but your going to need an ign cover gasket and a right side case cover gasket usually. sometimes you get lucky and wont have to replace them

f that honda should be covering that. i would take it to the dealer asap. you would think they would cover more being an all new bike and honda needs to know about these problems

When you drain the engine oil, you'll still have quite a bit in there. That's why the manual tells you to hold the kill switch while kicking it 5x. Yes, 5x. Try it and watch how much oil comes out. A word of caution. The oil will shoot out to place a rag some near so it doesn't spray you. Again, you'll see this in teh manual.

When you drain the engine oil, you'll still have quite a bit in there. That's why the manual tells you to hold the kill switch while kicking it 5x. Yes, 5x. Try it and watch how much oil comes out. A word of caution. The oil will shoot out to place a rag some near so it doesn't spray you. Again, you'll see this in teh manual.

Good thinking Rikk. I thought that at first to...

I did kick it over while draining after only ~200ml drained initially. This still wouldn't explain the extra oil in the other side though. I've been able to reproduce this 3 times now. The oil is migrating from one side to the other.

Trust me, there's nothing I would like more than for this to be 'user error'.

I had the same thing happen to me with only 2 hours on the bike. I called the dealer right away, they fixed it no questioned asked. All dealers should be familiar with this issue.

I had the same thing happen to me with only 2 hours on the bike. I called the dealer right away, they fixed it no questioned asked. All dealers should be familiar with this issue.

Was this on an '09? Can you give me more details, like what had to be fixed/replaced? It may help things go smoother w/ my dealer.

Looks like the dealer is going to take care of it. I'm taking it in this afternoon.

what year bike was this? how many hours?

keep us informed on what happens\what the dealer says\does.

what year bike was this? how many hours?

keep us informed on what happens\what the dealer says\does.

Brand new 2009 with 0.9 hrs on the meter. I dropped the bike off at the dealer this afternoon. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Luckily, I still have my 2008 YZ450 to ride in the meantime. :lol:

What dealer here did you buy it from ? And if you dont mind what was your OTD price. Thanks Jayson Puyallup

Ktm had this same problem with their new motor on the exc range, oil transfer problem.. Hopefully its only a few bikes with honda unlike them !

Its a new model i guess.