CRF230F exhaust

Hi all

I just got a new 2008 CRF230F. I've ridden 230's for some time, but i'm not sure about something. Can you take the entire chrome exhaust bit,with the baffle and everything on it, out? Will it damage the engine? because you could only take the baffle out on my friends 04 model because it has a differemt exhaust system. I want to check, because i don't want to wreck the engine seeing as it is brand new.

Thanks

CJ :lol:

Only take the smaller inner piece out. BUT if you do anything ,you will have to rejet or the engine will run dangerously lean.

Dwight

Only take the smaller inner piece out. BUT if you do anything ,you will have to rejet or the engine will run dangerously lean.

Dwight

so you can't take the whole piece out? plus, do you know about the spacers that went between the chrome bit and the exhaust?, i think they made it louder and gave it some more torque, but i can't remember what they were called! :lol:

The black thing in the center of the chrome thing is called a baffle, thats what you would take out if you were to remove anything. The chrome thing itself is the end cap/spark arrestor (thats what you keep) If you do decide to remove the baffle, you must re-jet the carburetor and remove the intake baffle, or as Dwight said, You will run dangerously lean.

The black thing in the center of the chrome thing is called a baffle, thats what you would take out if you were to remove anything. The chrome thing itself is the end cap/spark arrestor (thats what you keep) If you do decide to remove the baffle, you must re-jet the carburetor and remove the intake baffle, or as Dwight said, You will run dangerously lean.
yeah, i know how to take the baffle out and all that - i've had heaps of bikes. but i was asking about the silver bit coz it sounds so awesome with out it. But obviously its not a good idea. BUT

does anyone know about the spacer you can get that goes between the spark arrester and the exhaust?? i saw it in an aftermarket catalog a couple of years ago, long before i actually HAD a 230

It might help. Makes more volume in the can to give the exhaust more time to escape.

Dwight

start by taking the intake snorkel out

Engines only makes a "power ring" i think its called. you remove the chrome assembly and add the power ring.

Its a super trap style disc system, you can add or remove disc to adjust power curve / sound level. I had one on my bike and i liked it a lot!

Running a bike with no baffle sounds cool......but it causes ridig area to go away. We all need to be part of the "Loud Sucks" movement if we want to continue to ride. Our riding club has a member that has a 10o acres that we ride on a couple of times a year. the neighbors tried to get it closed down. The owner had to set up a sound check and check all bikes to make sure that the county police did not shut us down.

Sound is getting serious!!! KTM has a prototype electric bike because they are concerned about closing of riding area in the future.

Ride a quiet bike and make loud motor noises with your mouth as you ride!! LOL

I haven't put it to the decible test, but seat of the pants says my completely opened up 230 is quite a bit quieter than my completely stock KTM 400 EXC exhaust.

Quiet is good, to a point.