Sign in to follow this  

Mmi

I am thinking about MMI and i was looking for some opinions from people who have gone there.

Does the school help you find a house to live in? ( I know they dont have dorms or anything)

How much is rent usually down there?

What is there for tracks around the school?

I have not gone to mmi but here is what i think of it. You can learn more in an intership for a dealer. Most people myself included dont like to hire mmi or wyo tech student because of the I have a degree i know everything attitude. In my opinion if you want to learn how to wrench on these bike start with your own and apply for an internship at a dealer. When i first started i was a clean up boy and stuck my nose in where i could. Now I consider myself a very adapted bike mechanic.

Send me a PM.I am currently on a brake from school due to a broken femur.The biggest thing is you get out of it what you put into it.

I have not gone to mmi but here is what i think of it. You can learn more in an intership for a dealer. Most people myself included dont like to hire mmi or wyo tech student because of the I have a degree i know everything attitude. In my opinion if you want to learn how to wrench on these bike start with your own and apply for an internship at a dealer. When i first started i was a clean up boy and stuck my nose in where i could. Now I consider myself a very adapted bike mechanic.

Wish the co's around here in my industry had that attitude...I don't have a degree and that is hindering me finding another job even after having 30 years experience in my field!

As for MMI...I have a friend who's son went to it (in Az), graduated etc, however, his problem is finding a job because the shops/dealerships are saturated with graduates from MMI!

I have not gone to mmi but here is what i think of it. You can learn more in an intership for a dealer.

You are misinformed. I graduated from MMI at the top of my class and have been in dealerships for around a year. The real answer is you will learn 100x more at MMI comparatively if you seek the knowledge. You have to use all of your time to learn however, not make grades. 90% of the students don't care about learning at all, they just want to pass their classes and graduate.

Is it worth 20,000 plus dollars? Hell no. I can almost guarantee you that you will end up doing the same jobs once you graduate as if you were to fill out an application right now. The biggest mistake most anyone who goes to MMI (myself included) is they haven't looked into where they want to work once they graduate. They just assume that going to school is the key to opening doors and they will find one once they finish.

So here is what you do. Take 1,000 dollars and invest in a basic toolbox. Come springtime walk into a dealership and tell them you want to learn how to build bikes. If you are denied try elsewhere, someone will hire you. Once you get a look at the end, decide if it justifies the means. If so load up your truck and head off to MMI. If not, well you just saved yourself 19,000 plus dollars.:lol: