Sign in to follow this  

Should I purchase stock or modded

I've been lurking TT for the last six months and I've finally made a decision to pick up a DRZ 400s. I was introduced to motorcycling back in 1997 when I purchased a new DR350. I had it for a few years and then moved on to street bikes. Now, I've come full circle and it's back to the trails (Although, I'm still keeping the R1100S).

So thanks to all who's interesting posts had caught my attention and who made me realize what I've been missing. My question is whether it's better to buy a bone stock DRZ 400s or one that's been modified with jetting, 3x3 and exhaust. My gut tells me to go with stock and make the updates myself. One, I enjoy working on anything mechanical and two, there's a sense of gratification for tweaking thing just right. It's also a good way to learn the ins and outs of the bike; makes those trail side repairs a bit easier. The downside is the expense.

Also, what type of engine life can be expected on a bike that's been reasonable maintained (all the routine maintenance performed according to schedule) and ridden hard but not beat on. Would anyone hesitate buying a 2004-2006 with 5,000 miles?

Thanks....Mully

If you can buy one with all sorts of goodies on it already but hasn't been beat on you'll save the cost of the parts but loose the satifaction of getting tidbits in the mail. Your descision. Ian P.S. 5k no problem just do all the maintenance items listed in the faq section

Like i always say, why by stock when you can let some one else spend all the money for you. :lol:

There is always more mods you can do your self if u want to mod. Mods are endless. All the mods dont even make the bike more expensive. I almost bought a 2007 all stock with 6k miles for $4500. I waited one week and found my baby . 2007 with 6300k miles with everything on it, prob totaling over $1500 in parts and i only paid $4800.

5000 miles is nothing. These bikes are tanks. My advice would be to buy a bike with the discounted mods installed. Just make sure the basic maintenance has been done.

If you buy a modded bike, look closely at the mods.....there are ALOT Of hatchet jobs out there. If the bike is clean, and the mods well done, then go for it. Anything that looks shady or cobbed up? Walk away.

You cant go wrong purchasing something that someone else already modded just make sure you check out the craftmanship, I have always enjoyed doing all the work myself so I understand my bike and know that it was done correct.

If you have the money I would buy stock or close to it.

Find out about oil changes, etc...

Also, since you in NJ you probably already know but the first mods for an off-road DRZ are rad protection and a skid plate.

Can break down on the trail because the police will catch you...

Either way its pretty easy bike to work on and if someone jetted it for you, assume they are an idiot and check it again. Unless you know and trust them.

Good luck with your purchase and the engines got 10K no problem as long as you keep up with them.

I've found an 06 with less than a thousand miles. It's in showroom condition. I can pick it up for $3,300. It seems to be a fair price. Opinions?

I've found an 06 with less than a thousand miles. It's in showroom condition. I can pick it up for $3,300. It seems to be a fair price. Opinions?

get it.

You're done looking, time to break out the wallet and start riding :bonk:

That bike should be in your garage by now...That's a pretty good deal:thumbsup: