Tapping the rear brake?

I think i can tap the rear brake but i dont know how to practice it safely. How can i practice this without going OTB? it seems like i am pretty good at hitting the jumps and coming off really level but i feel like i would be more comfortable and be going bigger if i knew how to do this. Does anybody else have the same problem? How can i practice this. thanks guys:ride:

I am having the same problem, no in air adjustment and would like to learn how to do it.

I say just purposefully hit a jump leaning a little further back or something so the front end goes a little high. Not loop out high or anything but enough so you can practice tapping the brake.

Tapping the rear brake is supposed to be an emergency manuver. Try practicing it on small tabletops and just lightly tap the brake. Be sure to pull the clutch in or the bike will stall and you might crash.

Tapping the rear brake is supposed to be an emergency manuver. Try practicing it on small tabletops and just lightly tap the brake. Be sure to pull the clutch in or the bike will stall and you might crash.

+2 Know how to do it, but don't get in the habit of tapping every jump. The only time I rear brake tap is if I am looped-out (emergency) or if I am about to land from a small jump leading to an immediate turn and need to drop the nose down quickly.

Focus more on throttle control and body positioning if you want to be a good jumper.

Back in 80's all the supercross riders would tap the rear brake in the air. When Mcgrath came along he said if need to tap the rear brake your timing is off. I totally agree but in a "emergency" situation it still works.

I would concentrate on jumping, turns, starts etc. but if you must try it over a table top until you understand how the bike is going to react.

Later!

Todd

Thanks guys. I dont want to have to use the rear brake ever but i want to practice so when i do need it, its in my bag of tricks to bring it back down. Thanks for all your help again!

Just give it little too much throttle on the ramp face or lean/pull back. Then correct it with the brake.

Hit a jump that your very comfortable with and fly fairly neutral over. Now next time you hit this jump, get comfortable at just squeezing in and letting go of the clutch while in mid air. You'll notice on smaller jumps everything happens real fast. After a couple times of that, next hit the jump squeeze the clutch and give your rear brake a quick stab, just a stab don't hold it down. Don't panic, your frontend is going to drop quick. You can land with your frontend a little low as long as your landing on the down side of the jump. That's why you pick a jump that your very comfortable with so you know what speeds you need to land where you want. Get comfortable at that then graduate to bigger jumps and seat bouncing.

Watch this:

Thanks to motocrossguru