who has lowered there sub frame

How much did you lower it?

What method to lower it?

Do you like it?

The easiest way is to oval out the lower holes with a rat tail file. I think I dropped my 04 450 like 10mm that way. I liked it for my 450, never needed it for my 250.

If you know someone that can weld aluminum its not difficult. You have to cut it where the angles meet up top.

I cut out about 5/8 in and re-welded mine right near the bottom end. The pipe needs to be cut back about ½ . The mud flap need a spacer at the air box and my tire hits the fender. I like it lower and prefer to put up with the tire hitting. I think the info was from Dirt Rider.Net back in 2002 – 2003

Ben

2001 YZ 250

2005 525

I did just what dunecj2a suggested with a file. Its easy to feel the difference. For my size, it feels good. Due to the angles were dealing with, a small amount of material removed in the mounting area drops the rear 5-10 mm. I am not so sure a tall guy would like it.

Ya, Im short. I can barley touch the ground. Im thinking that I should do this. When the holes are filed does this create problems with the silencer lining up with the expansion chamber or anything else? What is a rat tail file?

Ya, Im short. I can barley touch the ground. Im thinking that I should do this. When the holes are filed does this create problems with the silencer lining up with the expansion chamber or anything else? What is a rat tail file?

I am very vertically challenged. I filed my holes and dropped the rear. There appears to be a finite amount you can drop using this method as the subframe will bottom out in the frame. I highly recommend making this mod. It is cheap (just buy a round file) and go to work. The little it drops the rear makes a big difference IMO. I believe a rat tail file is just a round file with a point at the end. I have no problems with alignment of any sort. I do not go fast enough to worry about bottoming though.....