Sign in to follow this  

89 Cr125 No spark?

Just brought home a friends cr125 and its a gona be a great project to get goin on...im tryin get it running just so he can come for a rip with us this weekend. Pulled the plug and tested for spark but came up with nothing. Thought the plug might have been fouled so threw a new one in and still nothing.. Im thinkin it could be either the plug cap itself or a burnt out ignition coil. What do you guys think?

The coil was just hanging from the frame by a zip tie hah.. im sure thats its blown...the bike was sitting outside so water may have gotten into the electrical. Is it possible that the kill switch could have an effect on stopping the spark?

Thats actually the exact one i was looking at. thanks alot.

I, had an 89 cr125...sweet machine back then.......I, would love to see some pics....:lol:

Yes, the kill switch could short out the spark. If I were you, I'd get my hands on a resistance tester and the values for everything...could be more than one thing bad if it's been sitting outside.

yeah your right, I really do need to pick up a mulitmeter. Id like to redo all the electrical but im thinking its gona be tought to get my hands on a cdi for this year... been searchin e-bay but came up with nothin so far.

Just brought home a friends cr125 and its a gona be a great project to get goin on...im tryin get it running just so he can come for a rip with us this weekend. Pulled the plug and tested for spark but came up with nothing. Thought the plug might have been fouled so threw a new one in and still nothing.. Im thinkin it could be either the plug cap itself or a burnt out ignition coil. What do you guys think?

Start witht the spark plug boot first. they have a resistor in them and should read 79 or 80 on the meter ( I think) the boot is only seven bucks. when replacing it, get the screw in type and snip off a small piece of the wire before screwing on the new cap. that way you know you have a good connection. if it still does not spark move down to the ignition coil. check all the wires first and make sure all connections are good. if you can borrow one from a buddy and not buy one, then test it that way. if the ignition coil is not the issue and all your grounds are good. then you have to move down to the stator. make sure you have the proper puller to remove the stator or you could damage it when removing it.

it is a 2stroke. very simple to fix

The coil was just hanging from the frame by a zip tie hah.. im sure thats its blown...the bike was sitting outside so water may have gotten into the electrical. Is it possible that the kill switch could have an effect on stopping the spark?

it can not be that way. it it mounted to teh frame with a scres so that the coil is grounded. no ground no spark. also sometines the kill switch could be an issue by being stuck. by puching the kill switch it kiss the circut. you can just disconnect it and try it that way. if the bike starts just touch the wires together to shut the bike off

Found the problem...the spark boot registers as having absolutly no resistance. As for the ground on the coil..It has a seperate wire coming off it which is grounded to the frame. I can tell it was a home job since the ground wire is red instead of green. Gona pick up a new boot today and see if she fires.

Thanks to everyone for the help :lol:

tried everything to get it started but so far it aint happenin..cleaned the carb and has fresh fuel and plug. has a nice strong spark now but im gettin that "wooosh" sound comin from the pipe.. gona switch the plug and let it sit for a while and try again.

if you have spark it will start. did you pull the bowl and dump the fuel there as well. Is it even sputtering

yeah did all that.. for some reason i decided to check the radiator to see if there was fluid in there and sure enough it was bone dry. filled it up to the top and tried kickin it over again and sure enough, coolent comes pourin out the exhaust port. Looks like im pullin the top end and replacing all the gaskets. Might as well throw in a new piston while im in there too. Wasnt too much of a surprise for a 200 dollar bike but hey it should be fun pullin er apart.