New to Kawi 2-strokes

Okay so i just picked up a 2002 kawi 250.

I had a crf250r before so i dont know to much about this new bike.

From what it looks like from 99 to 02 they're pretty much identical.

I guess my first question is, is the exhaust completely the same?

Thanks for the help.

I cant wait to start riding this thing.

yes, as far as i know, the oe pipes were the same. aftermarket pipes are an easy power increase, if thats what you are looking for.

dont forget to set the rear sag or the bike wont handle as well as it should.

have fun on your new 2 smoker!!

Search for posts from a guy named no1clyde. He has three (at last count) of the 1999 - 2002 models. He has a LOT of great information on them.

Also, look for a poster named Jeekinz. He has a couple.

Look on FMF, Pro Circuit, etc. pipe sites to see if they offer a 1999 - 2002 model exhaust. If they do, then the stock pipes may be interchangeable as well. It may alter the powerband characteristics if they are the exact same part (OEM) however.

I looked on the Kawasaki site to be sure. There is one part number for 1999 and 2000, one for 2001 and one for 2002.

On the FMF site, they have 1997 - 200 model pipes and 2001 - 2002 pipe(s). Something might be different about how they mount. I am not sure.

The pipes will all fit from around 95-02 but they are not all the same. I have 3 stock pipes and they all are from different years and are just a little different from each other. I find the stock pipes to be very good but I also have a PC and 2 FMF pipes that I use too.

The 02 has alot of small changes from the 99-01 but it is still a L model.

What part of Nevada do you live in? I am in Elko.

Ed

The triple clamps and forks are different size on the 02, and the seat foam is a little thicker.

There are a few other changes, just can't think of them all right now.

As far as the pipes go, I tried a PC Works pipe on one of my 2000's and hated it. You pretty much lose the bottom end. I would stick with something either factory or close to it that will keep that nice torque these motors have.

You most likely need to replace the lower shock bearing. Check/grease the suspension bearings. I also found that water can get into the CDI connection (when you wash your bike between motos :lol:) Under the seat is the CDI, remove the connectors and apply dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Hey everyone i just wanted to say thanks for all the replys.

I was just curious about the exhausts in case i was to get one.

As for right now the stock one is great with me ha.

And no1clyde i live in vegas.

Does anyone know anything that has been wrong with this year bikes that i need to check?

And also i saw someone on here that had all white plastics, Ive tried looking around but i cant seem to find anyone that has them.. does anyone know where i can get some?

Hey everyone i just wanted to say thanks for all the replys.

I was just curious about the exhausts in case i was to get one.

As for right now the stock one is great with me ha.

And no1clyde i live in vegas.

Does anyone know anything that has been wrong with this year bikes that i need to check?

And also i saw someone on here that had all white plastics, Ive tried looking around but i cant seem to find anyone that has them.. does anyone know where i can get some?

+1 where at!?!?

You most likely need to replace the lower shock bearing. Check/grease the suspension bearings. I also found that water can get into the CDI connection (when you wash your bike between motos :lol:) Under the seat is the CDI, remove the connectors and apply dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Check the TT store. That's where I got my rear fender, I saw the other parts listed. If not, check Gnarly Parts. That's where I got my silver plastics....that are for sale.

Well just thought i'd post a picture of the bike. Picked it up this evening.

x5o1ea.jpg

2gtvhx1.jpg