Tired of waiting on bike

I hate to rant but....

Ok, I decided to purchase a 2009 DRZ400SM back in mid August and contacted a dealer who I have dealt with once before back in 2006. The dealer did not have any '08's so he ordered an '09. The sales guy I am dealing with told me "might be here this month"(August). I put down a $279 deposit so the bike would held for me. So, after not hearing anything the first week of October I asked for an update and he replied:

"According to Suzuki (our Rep)....still scheduled for Oct....no date....they never give a date, we find out once it hits our warehouse."

Here we are the last week of the month and still nothing. Part of me want's to be patient, and the other half is wondering why there are '09's showing up all over this forum from West coast to East coast (I'm in Ohio)...What gives???

Find another dealer? S&S of Louisville had a couple last time I was down there. They're out there. Go find one!!

Thats what i would do, Get your money back and start calling around. There has to be a few with in a 1hr or so drive.

Check out craigslist im all for used bikes. find 07 for over $1000 less with the expensive mods already done

bandit12, no, it was not a dealer in Massillon. I guess that means I should not go looking there:thumbsup:

Thanks all, I am gonna send out some e-mails this in the next few days to see if I can find one in stock somewhere. The one I am currently dealing with is several hours away. I can get it from them for MSRP OTD (including tax)

The local dealer in town will not budge on price....MSRP + freight, tax, title, setup. IIRC their freight and setup charge is around $700. The will just tell you to go somewhere else if ask them to price match. Funny story about them. My buddy was looking to buy a new '08 CBR600RR from them last year. He told them he could get it from another dealer for X amount of money. The local dealer said no way we can't match that. My buddy tells them he is going to pay cash and has it with him. The sales guy said OK, let me see the money and show it to the sales manager and see what he says.

Well the sales guy comes back out and said the sales manager declined his offer, but they could "hold" the cash and if he (buddy) changed his mind and decided to buy it from them he could come on back and pick the bike up (with more cash since they were not willing to price match). I laughed my ass off when he told me that. Needless to say my buddy demanded his money and left the dealership. Them sales people must be crazy....who in their right mind would let the dealer "hold" over $8,500 in cash while you think about it.

I bought my Bandit 12 from that Massillon dealer and when my 30 day tag

ran out it took me two extra weeks to get my title so I could get a plate.

A friend of mine had the same problem when he got his bike there, another

friend put 2 grand down on a new Bandit that they were to get from "Their

shop in southern Ohio". They told him they had his color down there and only

run a truck back and forth once a week and his would be there in a week.

It was somehow over looked when loading the truck twice, the third week he

went to get his money back and they tried to charge him a fee for canceling

his order, can you say fight in the showroom, lol. His new bike came from

Blackhawk Powersports in Strasburg.

The local dealer in town will not budge on price....MSRP + freight, tax, title, setup.

OH MY GOD, please tell me thats not who you have the deposit with? I'm not sure how dealers like that can even stay in business.

Talk to Honda East in Toledo and have dealers match their OTD price... that's what all of us do up in MI. Its a 'fair' price for the dealer and you aren't getting taken for a ride by your local guy.

If none of the locals will price match... then just go up to Honda East and give them your business.

I waited for 4 months before I finally got my 09. I also called seventeen different dealerships before I found one. Only 2 had 09's and I just settled for a white since I could not find black, now I am loving it. I had to drive almost 2 hours one way to pick it up but it was worth it. The last 3 weeks have been awsome.

I waited for 4 months before I finally got my 09.

Crikeys man... that's a long wait for the same exact bike with slightly different graphics. When I buy a new bike I always go the other way, and try and find a dealer with a leftover model they want to get rid of cheap. My DRZ was 4,800 OTD brand new (OTD included 6% sales tax, title, plate fee, ORV sticker and a $200 store credit for gear)

Sure its going to depreciate even more when you take it off the lot... but its worth it to me.

just a little story about what transpired with me getting my '08 last March.

I decided to pull the trigger, looked on the internet and found a dealer about 2 hours away (there are at least 5 that were closer) that had the best price listed online ($5499, MSRP was $6199). I called all 7 dealers within two hours and not one had a black one (I really wnated black at the time, but now that I've seen white in person I could have been just as happy).

Since no one had them and no one would guarantee me one without a deposit, I put $250 down at the one that had the best price, this was on a Tuesday. They said they woudn't know whether they were getting one until it showed up, and it would most likely be 4-6 weeks.

Friday (three days later), they called to tell me 2 black '08 SM's arrived on the truck, so I went and picked it up the next day, all of 4 days after they had told me it could be 6 weeks.

So, he's not yanking you around with whether or not they're getting one. He really doesn't know, and there's not much he can do about it. Suzuki's inventory distribution system really is THAT bad.

That said...I would be looking around for a better deal anyway. If you're not picky on your color you should be able to find one nearby, and there will probably be a dealer that will budge on the price. Mine was already down $600 before I even made an offer...and that was OTD, no fees or anything.

I was looking at Yammie TTR110's for my son the other day, and the dealer mentioned that the smaller displacement bikes (esp fun ones like the DRZ) are hard to come by as everyone is buying them up.......but he'll sell you a 1000cc superbike cheap!

Good luck!

I was looking at Yammie TTR110's for my son the other day, and the dealer mentioned that the smaller displacement bikes (esp fun ones like the DRZ) are hard to come by as everyone is buying them up.......but he'll sell you a 1000cc superbike cheap!

Good luck!

I've noticed that looking around at the local dealerships. I usually stop in and look around about once a month or so just to see what they've got. EVERY TIME, the only things under 1000cc are 600 and 750 supersports. I have seen a couple DRZ400s, but I haven't seen a single SV650, or Ninja650 - any of the more moderate middleweight bikes. It sucks.

Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify the place that has an '09 on order for me is NOT the one that I posted who wanted MSRP plus all those other fees. The dealer I have the order with is 5,750 + 95 doc. fee + 7% sales tax + 25 tag and title = $6,280

To me that is not too bad. I have a dealer invoice sheet for a '08SM and it says $5,421 ready to sell which is supposedly no profit for the dealer. The '09's are $100 more iirc. Hopefully I get a chance to call some other dealers over the weekend to see what they will do.

The dealer I have the order with is 5,750 + 95 doc. fee + 7% sales tax + 25 tag and title = $6,280

I would call that $5,845 + TTL - that doc fee is BS just to get the sale price down and make the buyer feel like he's getting a good deal.

They tax the hell out of you guys up there...we don't pay sales tax at time of purchase, which means it's not subject to true "sales tax" which is often 7-10%.

On vehicles purchased new or used if from out of state, we pay "excise tax" at the time we title and tag it (30 days from purchase date). Excise tax is 3.25% of purchase price (1.5% if you are a documented native American...like my wife:smirk: ) So I paid $5,313 plus my $250 deposit out the door, and had 30 days before I paid taxes, title, and license which came to just over $200.

All that said, $5845 doesn't sound too bad. It hacks me off though when they're trying to charge MSRP and add a b.s. "doc fee" or a "filing fee" or a "convenience fee".