Sign in to follow this  

300fps slow-motion suspension action

Finally I did it, I bought the camera and here is what it came out. It’s filmed at 300fps, then edited to zoom it digitally and slow it some more. The obstacles are wood, 1 inch (first 5), 2 inch and 4 inch high (last 3). Because I was in a hurry (it was late in the afternoon), I didn’t have the time for fixing the obstacles to the ground, measure the distance and proper alignment. The speed was around 22 mph, measured with gps.

I have other clips, with the 4 inch obstacles at different speeds, other rider and bike, or other obstacles. I’ll post it later.

It amazed me the things that are revealed with slow-mo.

Please comment the suspension action :lol:

Very cool, I'd like to see that action on the track at a section that the bike and track give you the most trouble at race speeds.

Then disect what the suspension is or is-not doing.

Finally I did it, I bought the camera and here is what it came out. It’s filmed at 300fps, then edited to zoom it digitally and slow it some more. The obstacles are wood, 1 inch (first 5), 2 inch and 4 inch high (last 3). Because I was in a hurry (it was late in the afternoon), I didn’t have the time for fixing the obstacles to the ground, measure the distance and proper alignment. The speed was around 22 mph, measured with gps.

I have other clips, with the 4 inch obstacles at different speeds, other rider and bike, or other obstacles. I’ll post it later.

It amazed me the things that are revealed with slow-mo.

Please comment the suspension action :p

:lol: Gotta get me one

What brand is it?

can you do some different jumps (at least one in the flat)?

thanx :lol:

:lol: Gotta get me one

What brand is it?

Thank you Russ, it's an Casio ex-f1, next on my list it's shock-clock...hmmm, well, sometine in the future...:lol:

can you do some different jumps (at least one in the flat)?

thanx :p

Yes i'll post it, just need a little time for editing

Very cool. The rear had a pretty good kick to it at the end of your

obstacle. Neat tool though. Now you can really send your

suspension off and the tuners can watch the action of the fork and

shock. Better yet, just post it on here and let the gurus pick it

apart. Thanks for sharing.:lol:

Well here we go. If you notice in the first vid. That the fork reb is good in comparrison to the rear. The forks are at full extention and ready for the next strike. On the rear how ever the wheel is still on the the rebound cycle prior to the next strike.

I do like the fact that you tried and did for the most part maintained a neutral position through out the section.

Thank you all for your feedback. Russ, good observation, thankx :lol:

I’ll post another clip with the 4 inch blocks at bigger distance, different speeds, and a second bike for comparison.

Thank you all for your feedback. Russ, good observation, thankx :lol:

I’ll post another clip with the 4 inch blocks at bigger distance, different speeds, and a second bike for comparison.

Cool :lol: it's snowing here :lol: so I can stay warm and watch vids :p

Okay Russ, I think I see what you are referring to. Maybe it was the

3 rd board from the last that the rear seemed a bit quick to me In reference to what you are saying it maybe a little too slow?:lol: (Packing perhaps) Not a guru here, just trying to interpret the video for my own understanding.

Cool :lol: it's snowing here :p so I can stay warm and watch vids :lol:

Okay, time to move South so you can make money during the winter.

Sounds cozy where your at though.:lol:

Okay Russ, I think I see what you are referring to. Maybe it was the

3 rd board from the last that the rear seemed a bit quick to me In reference to what you are saying it maybe a little too slow?:lol: (Packing perhaps) Not a guru here, just trying to interpret the video for my own understanding.

I am far from guru status

Well that third stike from the end is a compression strike ( kick ) not from the reb. If you notice the wheel in the air has not even started to change direction yet.

...... I'd like to see that action on the track at a section that the bike and track give you the most trouble at race speeds.

Then disect what the suspension is or is-not doing.

I hope that this clip is somehow what you mean....

Russ, I’m working here as fast as…computer can, hope that it’s a good show on a bad weather :lol:

I hope that this clip is somehow what you mean....

Russ, I’m working here as fast as…computer can, hope that it’s a good show on a bad weather :lol:

No worries.

I would like to see next time that you go through that section (1st sec). With your weight back on the last three hits. And I do realize in the 1st vid your intention was to hit everything front and rear. My reason for this is possibly show how you can manipulate the suspensions actions by body position.

Just something to think about. I am liking this slow mo stuff:banana:

Here it is 4 inch blocks at diffrent speeds:

One more still to come....:lol:

No worries.

I would like to see next time that you go through that section (1st sec). With your weight back on the last three hits. And I do realize in the 1st vid your intention was to hit everything front and rear. My reason for this is possibly show how you can manipulate the suspensions actions by body position.

Just something to think about. I am liking this slow mo stuff:banana:

I like your idea, I’ll do that, maybe tomorrow if weather is good and if I can have an “cameraman “.

I’m so excited with my new toy, but more so with the things now I can see, understand and correct. :lol:

I wanted to share it with everybody, sorry if it’s too much.

That video is truly awesome...I wan that camera.

To many who feel the fork can have too much rebound....I really dont think so. You could certainly speed the fork's rebound and get better results

The shock could rebound for that set of obstacles...much faster. Having said that, it would really hurt you elsewhere ie large spaced out sand whoops. I have found in all my testing that getting a shock that is stable and predictable in the chop but not perfect is much better for me in the sections that will really spit me on my butt...the fast sand roller whoops.

Cool cool video...I wish you could bring to my track and I could see my stuff more clearly!!!!