Sign in to follow this  

09 250 Xc/xc-w

Hey guys,

Dad told me he will get me a new bike for graduation if my grades are up. Little does he know i took a bunch of easy classes for my senior year so grades are no issue. Im on a Honda 125 right now but really want a KTM, i have ridden my friends 200 and love the feel of the bike. Also my dad rides KTM and i have put alot of seat time on his 450. So im thinking i want the 250 to match the power of the 450 but i just gotta keep it 2 stroke cause its more fun :lol: .

Which model of the 250 do you like better for single track and woods? Thanks for any input

Wow! Thats sweet. The 250 or 300 would be great. I perfer the 300 because it it close to my old 450 for luggability. Either way you cant go wrong, get one before there gone!

Thanks for the reply, honestly im just trying to figure out which suspension setup and gear ratio works better for the woods, because the 250 xc/w has a wide ratio 5 speed, but the xc has the semi close ratio. Im honestly not sure exactly which one i would prefer

te XC is more aggressive in the suspension, and as a closer gear box. Those are the two biggest differences. The XCw is the smooth one soft one. You decide based on the type of riding you do.

I have a 200 200xcw that is great for mountain riding. It the engine is snappy and the bike turns on a dime I love it. I have rode my friend 2008 300 xcw and it is also a great bike. It remind me of starting a 2stroke jetski. The 300 has torque like a 4 stroke and can be lugged. I rode last weekend with friends that have the following bikes ktm300, 380, 400, Husaberb 450, 550, only the guy on the 400 could keep up. Its all about skill not power. The 200 does not have much low end torque and needs to be shifted alot. I love the bike.

i was in the same situation a little while ago but im going with the xcw because its got a tall 5th and 6th for open spots, and its got a low 1st for those tricky spots. for the 200 i know the 2-4th gear are pretty much the same. im not sure its the same way on the 250 but im sure its at least pretty close. and i hate shifting alot in the woods

the 200 xc-w has a unique gearbox because 2-4th are close ration while 1st 5th and 6th are wide, the 250 and 300 xc-w are not like though unfortunately

i was in the same situation a little while ago but im going with the xcw because its got a tall 5th and 6th for open spots, and its got a low 1st for those tricky spots. for the 200 i know the 2-4th gear are pretty much the same. im not sure its the same way on the 250 but im sure its at least pretty close. and i hate shifting alot in the woods

200 is a six speed, 250-300 are 5 speeds.

I would go with the w. The wide ratio box is going to be more useful off road than the close ratio box.

I have to disagree. The close ratio, or semi wide of the XC, gives you more choices for more situations we encounter in the woods. There's quite a gap from 2nd to 3rd on the W's that I could never could seem to deal with. Seems I needed another gear there. If it's open enough to keep the revs up, it's not as much an issue, but in the ST you may be luggin one instance and rippin the next. The XC takes care of that with consistent power delivery from gear to gear. My 200's tranny is better yet...

Sometimes, it's a matter of having 2 choices of gear vs 3.

• Like 1

I like the wide ratio because one weekend I will be in tight singletrack up in the mountains and the next weekend I will be in the desert.

If most of my riding was in the 20-40 mph range or if I was racing, I would have gone with the XC.

Im curious to ride the 250 xc/xcw now because all i have to go off is my buddys 200 which has the 6 speed. Im leaning more toward the XC as this point because i ride aggressive. I think even though the gears are closer it might accually benfit me more because of my style, plus im comign off a CR125 so im already used to that extremely close gears

Im curious to ride the 250 xc/xcw now because all i have to go off is my buddys 200 which has the 6 speed. Im leaning more toward the XC as this point because i ride aggressive. I think even though the gears are closer it might accually benfit me more because of my style, plus im comign off a CR125 so im already used to that extremely close gears

which gears do you like in the 200? if 2nd thru 4th, for the most part, the XC will likely suit you better.