IT490 restoration project.

Hi there Guys,

I know most of you would not touch a bike if it is not in a reasonable condition. Well I have this major urge to do an IT490 as my next or vacation project.

I can get the following spares for an early 1980(I suppose 1980-1983, it still has break drums) IT490:

43mm Front Forks

Triple Clamp

Front wheel

Footpegs

Frame

Seat

Kickstart

for a very good price.

My question is how difficult would it be to get the other parts, I live in South Africa? I saw quite a few spares on e-bay but postage might be a problem. I also found a bike scrapyard which says they do have spares they just have to go and dig for it.

I know this is a biggy, but these bikes is almost impossible to get, and if I can pull it off, I would be very, very proud owning a TT600 and the IT490. I think they would make a great combination:worthy: :p:lol:

How many other 80's bikes would have spares I could take from?

Regards

Nic

I would think lots of yz parts are interchangeable as well

Interesting! I just found a local ad for an IT490 for $675 in good running condition ~

JM

The most important part is the motor. Don't get a YZ 490 motor and put in it. It'll NEVER be what you want it to be. The motors are completely different, even though they share the same cases, bore, stroke, etc. The internals are what make the IT so sweet compared to the YZ. Look for a complete motor first, the rest can be YZ parts if you need.:lol:

Hi there,

I almost got hold of a running IT490 engine this weekend, but can you believe it he does not want to sell it cause he wants to fit it in a Go-Kart.

Anyways, I think my project changed for now. I posted an ad for a TT600 back wheel and got a reply from an oke who wants to sell me a 1981 XT500 with an extra spare engine for a very good price. I am going to have a look this week and report back :-)

Regards

Nic

Hi there,

I almost got hold of a running IT490 engine this weekend, but can you believe it he does not want to sell it cause he wants to fit it in a Go-Kart.

Anyways, I think my project changed for now. I posted an ad for a TT600 back wheel and got a reply from an oke who wants to sell me a 1981 XT500 with an extra spare engine for a very good price. I am going to have a look this week and report back :-)

Regards

Nic

Sweet! I hope you get the XT 500:thumbsup:

That'd be an interesting project. Keep us posted.

Hi there

I got scammed last night by a guy promising a full running IT490:banghead: It was a long way off and did not see it beforehand. When I got there, it was a IT465(4w4-000126) I am still not sure, and in a condition I did prepare myself for but hoped for better. Well needless to say I bought the bike in any case because the price was about $190.00 in ZAR Rands R2500.00 which is about the price of a new RIM.

Well here are some pics. Please help me identify it for me.

IMG00087.jpg

The biggest thing that scares me is the way the guy has tried to put a disc brake system on the bike:

IMG00089.jpg

The engine is still intact but poures oil, so it needs a total overhaul:

IMG00086.jpg

IMG00088.jpg

The backwheel:

IMG00085.jpg

Please help me identify if this is a 1981 IT465, I made my own deductions from the VIN#number and photos. Please do not look at the front wheel, we all know it is not the correct one, is the forks correct? Will an 1984 IT490 front-end fit on it?

One thing i did forget to mention is that the gear_lever is welded to the Rod coming out of the gearbox:lol:

Will keep you all posted.:thumbsup:

Regards

Nic

OK, guys

I had the VIN wrong it was 4v4 and it looks like a I bought a 1980 YZ465G, well it will be a project to rebuild a YZ465 then:smirk:

Regards

Nic

It's a pity you couldn't get hold of a 490 though. My dad had a IT490 when he was younger. He said it had tons of power but the crappiest handling ever. He reckons it was a burden on enduros, and he traded it in for a XT250 which he later sold due to a CDI that croaked. I wish you well with the YZ restoration:banana:hope it's a success.

The yz 465s have brutal power, better than a stock 490 it or yz. Have fun with that beast

Hi there,

Thx guys, the bike is now already in pieces and I am feeling much better. It is going to be fun I am sure. I did find out that it is actually a 1980 YZ465G.

It is actually suppose to be a white and black bike but decided I am not going stock on it and do a red frame insted, like my TT600 has. So I am going to have fun also :-)

So I guess I now have to make the parts list and then send everything for powder coating.

Regards

Nic

Hi there,

This bike started already growing on me:worthy: I found out last night that it has a TT600 front end with 43mm forks. I already budgeted last month to buy another front wheel for my TT600 and now if I do I would have a front wheel for the YZ:banana:

I cant wait to get my stuff to the powder coater:thumbsup:

Does anybody have experience in taking off stripped head nuts. Help would be really nice:banghead:

Regards

Nic

Hi there,

I am starting to feel better and better about the bike. First of all it is a 1981 YZ465H and apparently it is a competition monocross bike. No wonder the frame is much lighter than my son's KDX125.

One question, does anybody know how to get those bushes out of the swingarm? Do you have to apply heat? I do not have a press so I need primitive instructions please :-)

Regards

Nic

Try heat (heat gun, propane torch, good braai:-), etc). It's a long shot but freezing it might help too. If it's small enough to fit into a chest freezer, pop it in there for a few hours. Let us know how it goes. Wabbit

Hi wabbit ,

I will let you guys know, I am sure it is not going to be that hard :-)

REgards

Nic

Hi ,

I have ordered my first spare today :-) The Clymer Service Manual.

Regards

Nic

Scratch, how much was the manual? Oh and did ya manage with the bushes? Hope it turns out a great project. Wabbit

The manual including postage from the USA was about R400.00. I knoe it is more than what autobooks.co.za would ask but I do not want to wait a month.

No, I have not tackled the bushes yet.

Regards

Nic

That's not really a lot of cash for the manual. I'm gonna need one for my XT soon, but I'm strapped for cash as usual...