Sign in to follow this  

maximum heart rate racing

Hi there,

Interesting results from monitoring my heart rate.

I'm 41 , racing mx.

In the pits "resting" heart rate was between 140 and 150, at the gate 160, during the race 193.

For my age the maximum heart rate should be 182 ( according to the calculator).

charts and calculators are an approximation for fat old lazy couch-potatos, not athletes. At your age, I was getting my heart rate in the 190's with great regularity.

Hi there,

Interesting results from monitoring my heart rate.

I'm 41 , racing mx.

In the pits "resting" heart rate was between 140 and 150, at the gate 160, during the race 193.

For my age the maximum heart rate should be 182 ( according to the calculator).

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about this a few days ago. I am 39 and have not tried a monitor, but I knew my heart rate is sky high while riding hard. I train on my stationary bike keeping my heart rate between 135-140 and it feels like half the intensity or less of racing.

Mark

Start doing some sprints and things on the stationary bike. This is called H.I.T. (High Intensity Training). Crank up the intensity for a minute and then back down to normal for a minute or so then back up, etc. When I did that for a couple of weeks last year, the changes it made were dramatic.

Start doing some sprints and things on the stationary bike. This is called H.I.T. (High Intensity Training). Crank up the intensity for a minute and then back down to normal for a minute or so then back up, etc. When I did that for a couple of weeks last year, the changes it made were dramatic.

I use Crossfit (www.crossfit.com) for my strength and intensity training. It kicks butt for that. The bike is used for more LSD cardio base work. Knowing what intensity gets me to 140bpm, I am sure I get well over 170 in some of the crossfit workouts. Intervals are always the fastest route to any level of cardio fitness, they work great.

Mark

Good advice , I'll try Crossfit.

Today I had mx practice at the local track @ see level , maximum heart rate only 183.

It is true , adrenaline is an important factor.

Summer is comming and 3 month off season , I'm going to do a lot of fitness, any advice for effective rutines? Apart Crossfit.

Summer is comming and 3 month off season , I'm going to do a lot of fitness, any advice for effective rutines? Apart Crossfit.

Funny, here winter is coming and a 5 month off season...

If you do the workout of the day every day, crossfit will get you into fantastic shape. You may want to supplement a bit of cardio work on a bike, just to build more of a base for faster recovery between motos. Otherwise, crossfit is excellent.

Mark

At 35, I had a maximum H.R. of 106. At 42, I was mis-diagnosed with a tachycardia. Lance Armstrong had a tid-bit in his book about varying H.R.'s. Apparently, its normal. However, I've also been told it is better to strengthen the heart muscle at a more reasonable rate - stronger and slower beats vs weaker and faster beats. So it is advisable to use the rule of thumb - EDIT - 220 minus your age as your maximum target H.R..

At 35, I had a maximum H.R. of 106. At 42, I was mis-diagnosed with a tachycardia. Lance Armstrong had a tid-bit in his book about varying H.R.'s. Apparently, its normal. However, I've also been told it is better to strengthen the heart muscle at a more reasonable rate - stronger and slower beats vs weaker and faster beats. So it is advisable to use the rule of thumb - 120 minus your age as your maximum target H.R..

I think the max heart rate for one's age is estimated by 220 - age...

Panic revs and adrenalin put me anywhere from 192-202, more sane moto riding is at 172. YMMV

I think the max heart rate for one's age is estimated by 220 - age...

Panic revs and adrenalin put me anywhere from 192-202, more sane moto riding is at 172. YMMV

Yeah, sorry - 220 is the magic number. :lol: I think the panic revs and adrenalin are what drive us to do what we do - its a rush! :p