Sign in to follow this  

Talk me out of mounting up my steering stabilizer..

I have a Scotts stabilizer that I've used on previous bikes, but I haven't installed it on my YZ250 yet. If I was to use it, I would want to mount it in the SUB configuration because I don't really care for the low fender mount, and having it above the clamp isn't ideal either. So my issues with it are threefold...first, I'm not that convinced my bike really needs it due to the inherent stability of these bikes. Second, I like to run my bars in a more forward position due to my height, and that isn't conducive to a stabilizer. Last, a sub mount for my bike is going to require that I spend a pretty good chunk of cash since I have an aftermarket top clamp that isn't compatible, so I'm looking at the whole works.

It's really easy to find glowing reports of and reasons to use stabilizers, but I'm looking for justifications to not put mine on this bike. If you can only try to convince me to put the thing on, then I'll listen to that as well, I'm right at that point on the fence where I can fall either way....

there is no good reason why you should not other than not being able to afford it, but the one time you need it will make you wish you would have had it on.

Everyone raves about stabilizers and how necessary they are. Occasionally you run across someone arguing the opposite. I "needed" a stabilizer for my YZ (ride a lot of rocky crap). Never had the cash. Now that I've been riding the bike for over a year I see no reason to spend the money. Yes they are nice, yes I'd probably be able to ride with less arm pump, but for me the advantages just don't outweigh the cost right now. I've ridden a couple of bikes (inlcuding YZ's) with stabilizers and do see the benifits.

Now, what kind of riding do you do? I was most impressed with the stabilizers when bombing down rocky 2 tracks or powerlines at 40, 50, 60 mph. On the single track stuff I didn't think it made a real noticable difference. I spend 95% of my time on that single track stuff, so that's what I want my bike setup for.

Search the off-road riding technique sub-forum here. There have been some very long arguments over the pros/cons of stabilizer.

Yeah, you don't need it, sent it to me!! I'll take it free of charge.

I've got a Scott's SUB mount on my 06 and I never really thought it was a worthwhile investment. That is until I removed it and went for a ride.

Even riding slow speed single and double wide trails I really, really missed it. The bars felt like a wet noodle without it and would flop around like a fish outa water. It practically eliminates handlebar slop and fighting of the handlebars while pushing though a choppy corner. It's absolutely magical in the desert and dunes.

It's one of those items that doesn't WOW you at first, but you cant live without once you've had it. This is my opinion anyway.

Even when you first put it on and you don't really notice much, you sure realize when it just saved your butt when you're hauling through some whoops and get out of control, but the stabilizer holds you on course. I've had this happen at least once a year and figure it's paid for its self for saving me from a broken something...

Even when you first put it on and you don't really notice much, you sure realize when it just saved your butt when you're hauling through some whoops and get out of control, but the stabilizer holds you on course. I've had this happen at least once a year and figure it's paid for its self for saving me from a broken something...

Shit.... the triage nurses 30 second vitals check costs more than a stabilizer!

After taking mine off for a 20 mile loop through the forest I'm sold. I'll never be without again.